totaled my '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope this isn't becoming a habit. Brain-dead doofus in his dually decided to make a left turn in front of me last month. The bike was 2 months old with 1400 miles at time of impact. There is no question about liability or fault, but his insurance company is being difficult. The lawyers got involved today. Anybody know what the 2009 color will be?

IMG_2960.jpg

That sucks! Atleast you made it through to ride another day. No idea on color, hoping to hear that myself. Just bought a used blue 06, but always looking over the rainbow for the next ride. :)

If you don't mind me asking......what is making the insurance company "difficult"?

Last edited by a moderator:
The insurance adjuster claims not to have any photos of the bike or documentation of the value of damaged items necessary to proceed with payment. I emailed photos to her, their own photographer came out and took photos, and I hand delivered receipts to their local agent to be transmitted to the adjuster. He did it while I waited and provided me with copies of what he sent. The insurance will not cover the total damages, but the company wants me to release the driver from further liability before paying anything on the collision claim. They will also not pay any medical expenses until I agree that treatment is complete.

Lesson learned - carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage and let your own agent take on the fight.

The insurance adjuster claims not to have any photos of the bike or documentation of the value of damaged items necessary to proceed with payment. I emailed photos to her, their own photographer came out and took photos, and I hand delivered receipts to their local agent to be transmitted to the adjuster. He did it while I waited and provided me with copies of what he sent. The insurance will not cover the total damages, but the company wants me to release the driver from further liability before paying anything on the collision claim. They will also not pay any medical expenses until I agree that treatment is complete.
Lesson learned - carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage and let your own agent take on the fight.
Very odd, though I am no expert. The expectations from the insurance company is of course to get you to release that medical liability, the bike should really be an afterthought to them. From what I do know about insurance around here, the bike, and your medical are 2 totally seperate claims in their backoffice. In NC/SC atleast, you have 3 years to release medical liability, yet your new machine will have been taken care of soon after the accident.

I learned this when my wife was hit 2 years back. She was ok thankfully, outside some neck/back soreness. Immediately we were getting calls from the others insurance company trying to settle for what we know was pennies now. We told them to allow us time for my wife to access her injuries and we would be more than freindly in 2 weeks. They kept calling with stories even after we begged them???. Long story short, we lawyered up, about 9 months later, we settle for a heck of alot more than the cost of a FJR. We were originally just happy to get my wife some small compensation for injury, and the ride fixed. Go figure.

Bottom line, if you weren't hurt, thats the best part. Now, I would be fighting for a new machine and some compesation for your trouble. In my opinion, you should not feel like a jerk for taking a little for yourself, even if its just enough to get the brand new ride out of it and whatever gear you scuffed. The other guys rates are going up anyway, and it sounds well deserved. :)

Did not intend to sound like I know anything at all really. Just sharing experience that I hope helps.

Good luck!

Now, I would be fighting for a new machine and some compesation for your trouble. In my opinion, you should not feel like a jerk for taking a little for yourself, even if its just enough to get the brand new ride out of it and whatever gear you scuffed. The other guys rates are going up anyway, and it sounds well deserved. :)
Good luck!
The more times a Ins company has to pay for their bad drivers the more their bad drivers will have to pay. If they end up Paying Cash then maybe next time they will Pay ATTENTION to what they are doing.

Just my Thoughts. Glad you weren't too hurt.

Sorry if this offends any insurance agents that might be members but insurance companies are becoming real ass holes, especially State Farm. My wife was rear ended while sitting at a stop light, there was never any doubt whose fault it was and the other drivers insurance company (State Farm) started playing the same game you described.

Their attitude is pretty much if you want any sort of timely and fair resolution to your claim your going to have to take them to court. We have been dealing with this cliam for more than a year.

If its State Farm, lawyer up and make them replace your bike at full value and pay your medical expenses. Also, in my wifes case we were able to force them to pay for the vehicle separate of any medical claim so at least we got her back on the road.

Anyway I hope your OK and you get a new bike as soon as possible.

Good luck