Totaled the zx 14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My compliments on the honest evaluation. This is all too rare nowadays.
In my mind you have to or else you just chalk it up to "Shit Happens". The latter reasoning is not an option if I ever wanted to go riding again.

I gave the short version as to the why's in my original post. The full list included fatigue (had been riding hard for about 6 hours) and lack of concentration, all of which I should have controlled better.

anyway, thanks to all for the well wishes and I'll see you out on the roads soon enough.

The fortunate ones live to learn from their mistakes. You my friend are one of the fortunate ones. If I had seen that pic of your bike without knowing the outcome, I would have come up with a far more grim conclusion.

Very glad you are still with us. Heal up well Will, and hope to see you in Hooterville.

Glad to hear you're okay. Bikes can be replaced. This sort of thing helps serve to remind all of us about the importance of proper riding gear, proper vehicle care, and being aware of our own limits. I've had my fair share of occassions where I've been forced to remind myself that public roads aren't racetracks. It's way too easy to start cranking it up a notch thinking we're in control when a public road doesn't receive the care of a track and the rest of the motoring public isn't prepared to deal with our antics. Heal quickly.

....'08 FJR1300 '09 zx14 '13 Vespa LXV 150 IE
Eh? I think you could ring everything out it Will, and look stylish while doing it.
Not sure if I'm ready for the Vespa just yet but guarantee I'll be rocking that thing if I do. Definitely would need some color coordinated ass-less chaps to go with it.

I fixed above for ya. The good ole FJR is sitting in the shop, all lubed, maintained and ready to go. In fact I rode it and changed the oil in it a couple days before my get off.

I'm so glad to hear you'll be all mended up soon Will. Looking at the aftermath you were a very lucky boy, but by the sounds of it you've learned from your mistake(s). You're welcome to ride with wheatie & me at Hooterville.
winksmiley02.gif

Any thoughts on a replacement bike? Maybe look at those Triumphs.
smile.png

I'm so glad to hear you'll be all mended up soon Will. Looking at the aftermath you were a very lucky boy, but by the sounds of it you've learned from your mistake(s). You're welcome to ride with wheatie & me at Hooterville.
winksmiley02.gif
Any thoughts on a replacement bike? Maybe look at those Triumphs.
smile.png
Not sure yet. I stil have the FJR which is in perfect shape. A friend was going to buy it after he sells his current bike which he still wants to do. Right now just going to ride the FJR (when I'm ready) and play it by ear. If it works out I normally try to buy something during the off season.

After owning her for a mere 5 months and about 2,000 miles, I managed to total out my 09 zx14 SE. All my fault came- in too hot on a right hander with a front tire worn past the wear bars. I was too deep into the turn to brake so I just leaned over more and tried to ride her out. Not sure if road debris helped but eventually ran out of tire and lowsided. Bike and I slid about 75 feet or so down the asphalt road then proceeded to snap off a road sign, uproot a cedar tree and rearrange a barbwire fence.
I wound up spending a week in hospital with 3 days in the ICU. I came in with a lot of trauma and internal bleeding to my chest and lungs. I had 5 broken ribs that required surgery, a few drain tubes here and there, and a lot of pain, but nothing permanent or disabling. Accident was 3 weeks ago and Doc says in another 3 to 4 weeks I'll be good to go. Luckily I was wearing leathers and only ended up with about a 3 inch patch of minor road rash. All in all I was extemely lucky with my injuries and the fact I was riding with others who was able to keep me calm, with one buddy being a retired EMT.

The bike did not fare as well as I ...

One bright spot was that my insurance totaled the bike and offered a settlement that is more than enough to replace the bike.

Beleve it or not I'm looking at this as a positive experience. I've been riding for 27 years and the last 5 or so, more and more aggressively. This incident was serious enough for me to quit using public roads as my own personal MotoGP track but still allow me to ride again. Just wish I could have learned this lesson without putting my wife and family through all the pain and suffering.
Thanks for the reminder and I can relate (without the hospital part). I found myself getting a little more aggressive over the last couple of years, with one high side to show for it (Bugnatr knows all about that one), so just headed off for my first track day on a recently purchased 636. Very invigorating - hopefully I can get the thrillseeking done that way and keep more level headed on the street.

Hope your recovery goes well......