Touch Up Paint

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royboy

Reaction score
Finally did the unthinkable. I dropped my FJR. Got some nicks. Am thinking that a little touch up would take care of them. Does Yamaha or anyone offer it. My FJR is a 2004 model I bought new.

I got the primer, paint, and clear coat from ColorRite and it SUCKED. I also have an 04 and I had just a few small but deep scratches in the lower fairing from my wife hitting the FJR in the garage with her license plate. The "pens" were very hard to use and the fluid would either not come out or would seep out and be messy. Even so, I followed all directions and the paint from them looks nothing like the Cerulean Silver. I wish I just left it how it was.

If possible, try the dealer and see if they sell touch up paint in the small jars using a brush. I have one of those for my car, Nissan Altima, and it works GREAT. No need for clear coat and it is a perfect match.

I will say that brush style paint was an option from ColorRite, but I cannot recommend them because of how off the color was they sent me. Also very expensive because you need all 3 components. Still looked like ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the ColorRite. Although I cannot say that the color was off, but my skills certainly are. Had I known how it would turn out, I would have saved the $80+ and it would have looked better - not good, but better. In my case, it is scratches on the tank, and the body shops want me to take off the tank and the cost is $400. Maybe later, but for now, it runs great and that is what is important.

Sorry about the drop - that sucks. Try the following for the color - it is the colorRite selector. A friend used it on his and it matched perfectly - your results may vary . . .

Clicky

It constantly amazes me that in the length of time we have been riding/enjoying/dropping our beloved FJRs, that no one has gone the route of taking a piece of their bike to a high quality automotive paint store and had the color analyzed by the scanner that places such as that have now.

I recall some posters saying that the paint store(s) have gotten very close in match, metallic content, etc., but no one has posted the actual formula(s) that were used... From reading threads from Garauld himself, perhaps the premier fabricator and painter on the board, even the rediculously expensive ColorRite paint needs fine tuning to be a true match.

To me, it's absolute bullshit that Yamaha and most other MC companies won't publish the paint codes for the colors on their product! :angry: Every damn automobile company makes that information available, so what's UP wit dat? :p

My poor old 06 has been down four different times due to poor technique on my part... the first three were minor, with only light scratches in the usual places, but the last one also broke the right mirror and rashed the right side case pretty badly.

I am getting ready to finally retire from work, and that will give me the time to hit a few of the excellent paint stores in the area. Fortunately, in my mis-spent youth I did some spray painting, and am going to tackle the project of correcting the various scratches and dings on the old girl.

I will not be using ColorRite products! I will share the results, including mixing and letting down instructions, appropriate air pressure/gun settings, etc. if I arrive a suitable results.

On the other hand, if I find I can't duplicate the color and appearance of the original paint, I'll let you all know and skulk off into a dark corner! ;) Probably will be a late Summer/early Fall project...

Don

A local bodyshop painted some custom side panels for my FJR. I remember him talking about how expensive the paint was, but I seem to recall him speaking of "mixing" the paint? I'll try and stop in, and double-check if he used Colorite, or mixed it himself. He did a bang-up job, and matched it perfectly.

I do know he was shocked at how much the paint was. $100 a quart, if I remember correctly. I'll see if I can't get by there in the next couple days.

That would be excellent, Gypsy! The more information we can get posted here, the easier it will be for others later.

Thanks in advance for taking time to follow-up on this :clapping:

Don

The color formulation is in the bin-o-facts here.. I had a pint mixed up for $22.00 at the local auto parts store. Anyplace that displays a PPG sign can do it for ya..

Sprayed my red top case cerulian silver.. The match was so close that unless you really look hard you'd never notice

My other bike WAS a Royal Star Tour Deluxe...

I modified it and added the seats, trunk, and oh shit bars from a Venture...

Took the trunk that I got off was cherry red and had it painted the Midnight black to match the bike..

My friend shot it with their color gun and matched it to a tee!!!!!

Colorite was 3 times the cost for the paint

Its the way to go

It constantly amazes me that in the length of time we have been riding/enjoying/dropping our beloved FJRs, that no one has gone the route of taking a piece of their bike to a high quality automotive paint store and had the color analyzed by the scanner that places such as that have now.
I have and it was off way too much for my liking. Colorrite isn't perfect either, and I have had to tweak it too, but it's real close. Since I buy it by the qt, it's a lot cheaper (for me) per oz. than someone attempting to touch up their scratches.