Tough day today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
Have you ever had one of those days that you wish was a dream so that you can wake up and what you think happened did not?

Today is one of those days for me.

I got an email this morning from a friend telling us that a mutual friend was very sick and in the hospital. On Sunday, he went to the hospital thinking he had pneumonia.

Turns out it was Legionnaires Disease.

It was bad enough that the doctors induced a coma to try to treat him.

My friend, Kevin, died this afternoon. I don't remember his exact age, but he was right around 50 - WAYYY too young to leave this world.

He had a rough way to go a few years ago - lost his job, that kind of thing. He'd rebuilt his life - a new, good job, a new gal, and he was the father of a beautiful 2 1/2 year-old little girl that he absolutely adored.

I am, to say the least, stunned and saddened.

Do me a favor? Keep Kevin's kids - his little girl and his college-age son - in your thoughts and, if it's your kind of thing, your prayers.

Positive mojo headed their way... worst thing about gettin older is more of my friends are gettin that way too. Never good to lose anyone.

Andy, I wish you were asleep...so we could wake you up but unfortunatly that is not the case. We send his family,friends our thoughts and prayers at this time and hope that the memories of him will ease their sorrows. JAG

Thanks for sharing and thanks for asking. I appreciate that you care enough about your friend Kevin to risk asking others to pray for his kids. I will indeed do so, my friend. Do you know their names, by chance? Years ago, my only sister died at age 12. I was just a 5 year old boy. My mother received a number of cards that week, all of them appreciated. But one stood out, that really touched her heart. It was called, "The Rose beyond the wall." It read:

Near a shady wall a rose once grew,
Budded and blossomed in God's free light,
Watered and fed by the morning dew,
Shedding it's sweetness day and night.

As it grew and blossomed fair and tall,
Slowly rising to loftier height,
It came to a crevice in the wall
Through which there shone a beam of light.

Onward it crept with added strength
With never a thought of fear or pride,
It followed the light through the crevice's length
And unfolded itself on the other side.

The light, the dew, the broadening view
Were found the same as they were before,
And it lost itself in beauties new,
Breathing it's fragrance more and more.

Shall claim of death cause us to grieve
And make our courage faint and fall?
Nay! Let us faith and hope receive--
The rose still grows beyond the wall,

Scattering fragrance far and wide
Just as it did in days of yore,
Just as it did on the other side,
Just as it will forevermore.

~ A. L. Frink ~

Hope that helps. It sure meant a lot to my mom those many years ago.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
All the best for his family in healing their hearts and holding on to great memories of him.

Geek, I am sorry for your loss. One of the curses of getting older is that we see this more and more often. We effectively become "survivors". May I extend my sincerest compliments on having the courage to request prayers for his family. A somewhat rare thing nowadays.

Somehow I would guess that you know this already, but... Next time you go out for a ride with the lovely Sooze regardless of which bike you are riding, take a moment to rejoice that you are living. Not just existing, not just surviving day to day, but really living. The joy of riding a great motorcycle (yes, I like your Harley as well) with a beautiful and wonderful friend like Sooze has to be a source of pleasure and happiness that only a very small percentage of us will ever know. Enjoy it Andy because as you just found out, it can all be gone in a hearbeat.

Your friend,

Andrew (Redfish Hunter)

i cannot add anything to what Andy (Redfish Hunter) stated so eloquently. Very sorry to hear of the loss of a friend and hope your friend's family can find some comfort at this tragic time.

Laura and I offer our condolences and prayers for you and the family. Another reminder to us all that every day is a gift. Do not take this time for granted. Ever.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: