Touratech 660 Locking Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
Well I have had a Touratech 660 mount and loved it. From very early on of owning it it became a bit of a pita locking and unlocking it but I just lived with it.

Well at the BMW Rally I had a chance to talk to them about it. Wow was I ever surprised the guy said hold on and called his office and after some checking he said send it back and will will credit you towards a new one of the newer style. I just had to pay the difference. Well I said just let me buy a new one and then I will ship the old one back and you can credit me. He said no problem.

So it showed up on Thursday and I installed it. Heck they even included a UPS return label in my order!

So this is the old mount. What they did is remove the locking mechanisim from the frame of the mount and made it a stand alone item. It seams they saw this and redesigned based on that.

old%20touratech.jpg

This is the new design and is slick as hell.

new%20touratech.jpg

Here is the 660 in the mount and it is solid for sure.

660%20in%20touratech.jpg

I have one of those sun shades and I have hacked it a bit to continue to use it. In the original mount I just needed to notch it where the two arms came down this is so snug that area of the top clamp must be gone. No biggie and it will still look fine just a bit of work.

I must say the company took care of me far above my expectations, and this new mount is very nice, and very sturdy with very high isolation properties. I know locks only keep honest people out, so that was never my reason for buying this mount, I have never seen a mount set up for bump isolation like this one.

Very surprised how just asking a question at a Rally, turned into very nice customer service from Touratech.

Well I have had a Touratech 660 mount and loved it. From very early on of owning it it became a bit of a pita locking and unlocking it but I just lived with it.

660%20in%20touratech.jpg

I have one of those sun shades and I have hacked it a bit to continue to use it. In the original mount I just needed to notch it where the two arms came down this is so snug that area of the top clamp must be gone. No biggie and it will still look fine just a bit of work.

I must say the company took care of me far above my expectations, and this new mount is very nice, and very sturdy with very high isolation properties. I know locks only keep honest people out, so that was never my reason for buying this mount, I have never seen a mount set up for bump isolation like this one.

Very surprised how just asking a question at a Rally, turned into very nice customer service from Touratech.
I would be interested in knowing which sun shade you are using and a photo of how you modified it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I had this cover since I bought the Zumo and the original mount. As I said I had to cut it for the first mount so hacked into with this one. I have some door trim around from another "project" and am going to use it as the picture shows. However I am going to cut it square, and then have my sister run a seam on it and then use the trim on all three sides. You can get the idea from this picture and I am running it as it is and no issues so far but I will clean it up.

gps%20cover.jpg

Awesome - That says a lot about Touratech. I am planning to purchase a Zumo 660 for my 2009 FJR and appreciate the info you shared. Looks like you got the V2. I have a few questions:

1.) Are you using the steering stem nut to mount the Touratech? If so, which model number and how high is it?

2.) Do I need any other adapter plates?

3.) Are you using a tank bag with your Zumo? My tank bag is 8" high (unexpanded) and I want to make sure I can see the screen of the Zumo.

4.) Does the new Touratech mount require modification of the Glare Stomper? If so, is there another glare guard that fits correctly out-of-the-box?

Thanks,

KJB

Awesome - That says a lot about Touratech. I am planning to purchase a Zumo 660 for my 2009 FJR and appreciate the info you shared. Looks like you got the V2. I have a few questions:

1.) Are you using the steering stem nut to mount the Touratech? If so, which model number and how high is it?

2.) Do I need any other adapter plates?

3.) Are you using a tank bag with your Zumo? My tank bag is 8" high (unexpanded) and I want to make sure I can see the screen of the Zumo.

4.) Does the new Touratech mount require modification of the Glare Stomper? If so, is there another glare guard that fits correctly out-of-the-box?

Thanks,

KJB
Yes I used a steering stem nut with ram ball. I think I use a 8" extention I think.

You will need a ram mount ball mounting plate.

I am using a tank bag this one:

bag%20top.jpg

Both the new and old needed a bit of a cut, the old just two holes, the new needs the strip cut out. I know of no other glare stoppers for the 660. If I can get through some of the major stuff here I will get to the pretty stuff like the glare stopper. It really will clean up with just a little work and as I said I run it as is with no issues.