Towing a trailer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn "Search" Nazi!! :****:
I'm just trying to encourage and teach the newbies. Et ain't rokkit syence, y'noe. Iggy kin find sum reely lost stuff cuz he'ens is wunna them kumpyooter gee-whiz guys. Eye kin jist git tuh summa thuh eeezy stuff.
WOW, it's rough out here!! I like it
Man, first he blows the search and then he attempts to ingratiate the crowd by pretending he likes jerks.

;)

If you like this, then hang around, there's actually some good stuff to like too :lol:

Yes, I did. On one trip, about 650 pounds worth. The FJR will more than easily pull a trailer. Watch your entry speed into corners, give a little more time to stop, and pulling a trailer is a peice of cake. As a matter of fact, you never even know it's back there unless you look in the mirrors.
hmmm, 650 pounds? Okay then Scab...opinion please (others pipe in here also) I have this crazy idea (I've had others also) about combining my FJR passion with doing some more track days but using a "real" track bike (600 prob.). Road America is about 400 miles from here but wouldn't it be cool to tow a track bike (about 400 pounds) with the FJR. Of course, it would look ridiculous and might draw the attention of the rural constabulary around here, but do you think this would be even possible? A purpose built lightweight (something like a one space snowmobile trailer) might just be the ticket. Your 650 pounds got me thinking about this.

Discuss, scoff, jest.......

Paul

Duluth

'05 FJR

p.s. I used to do strange stuff like this in the service, i.e. strapping my racing bicycle onto the back of my KZ400 to get to bike races - got some strange looks then also.

Damn "Search" Nazi!! :****:
I'm just trying to encourage and teach the newbies. Et ain't rokkit syence, y'noe. Iggy kin find sum reely lost stuff cuz he'ens is wunna them kumpyooter gee-whiz guys. Eye kin jist git tuh summa thuh eeezy stuff.
yes, but the thread is almost 2 years old, may be some good input since then. And if us newbies didn't ask this stuff again and again, what posts would be left? I love you Howie :****:

Yes, I did. On one trip, about 650 pounds worth. The FJR will more than easily pull a trailer. Watch your entry speed into corners, give a little more time to stop, and pulling a trailer is a peice of cake. As a matter of fact, you never even know it's back there unless you look in the mirrors.
hmmm, 650 pounds? Okay then Scab...opinion please (others pipe in here also) I have this crazy idea (I've had others also) about combining my FJR passion with doing some more track days but using a "real" track bike (600 prob.). Road America is about 400 miles from here but wouldn't it be cool to tow a track bike (about 400 pounds) with the FJR. Of course, it would look ridiculous and might draw the attention of the rural constabulary around here, but do you think this would be even possible? A purpose built lightweight (something like a one space snowmobile trailer) might just be the ticket. Your 650 pounds got me thinking about this.

Discuss, scoff, jest.......

Paul

Duluth

'05 FJR

p.s. I used to do strange stuff like this in the service, i.e. strapping my racing bicycle onto the back of my KZ400 to get to bike races - got some strange looks then also.
Call me crazy, but I'd do it. I always meant to strap a bike on a trailer and pull it just for the picture.

I think the FJR could easily pull a sportbike, but dragging one to the track may be more of an issue of getting all the "extras" to the track too. Tires, tools, etc. may start to add up.

yes, but the thread is almost 2 years old, may be some good input since then. And if us newbies didn't ask this stuff again and again, what posts would be left?
Oatmeal, fiber and doily conversations.

You got a problem with that, punk!!!

:****: :****: :****: :****: :****:

yes, but the thread is almost 2 years old, may be some good input since then. And if us newbies didn't ask this stuff again and again, what posts would be left?
Oatmeal, fiber and doily conversations.

You got a problem with that, punk!!!

:****: :****: :****: :****: :****:
whats that smell, did you douche yet beeeeaaaaaattch! :****: :****: :****: :fuk: :****: :fuk: :****: :fuk: :****: :fuk: :grrr: :haha: :trinibob:

Hey bud! welcome back. Why don't ya toss out something with three syllables. See if you can confuse someone besides yourself.

:jester:

I currently tow a Lesure Lite camper with my '05. I have towed this trailer 2k plus miles and have had no issues. I have also done 6 or 7K miles pulling a 16 cubic foot utility with the FJR, a K75RT, and an R100RT.

Based on my experience there are a couple of things you might want to take into consideration.

You have to remember that you have increased your mass by 25 to 50%. You will notice most if you pull thru the curves....the tongue weight will add a lot of load to the rear tire.

Make sure you have 20 plus pounds of weight on the hitch and that the trailer is either level or nose down to the hitch when loaded. Not meeting either of these conditions will result in the trailer starting to "wag it's tail" at a specific speed. I encountered this phenomenon pulling my cargo trailer at 59 mph... I only tested the rig up to about 55, when we hit the interstate loaded up for a camping trip, I discovered the error in my setup...scared the bejesus out of me and my spouse. Worse yet was the abuse I got for not testing the rig for the speed we would be running. Go home, load the gear in the pickup, and then go camping with the in-laws. Not a pleasant evening.

The biggest issue I ran into was in finding a hitch. Dauntless Motors at https://www.dauntlessmotors.com/hitch-pages/yamaha.htm imports a hitch from Classic Industries Australia Pty Ltd. The hitch is a U shaped piece of 1/2 inch round spring steel with a four point mounting system. Pretty stout, and fairly easy to install.

Thanks to those who let me know of the options for a hitch made for the FJR

(I already have a trailer from my other bike.)

I would also add that trailering gets "interesting" if the trailer outweighs the tow vehicle. A friend of mine built a trailer to tow his sportster behind his Harley Ultra. He towed it about two miles and took it home. He tells me that when he tried to stop, the trailer wanted to push the rear of his Ultra sideways, especially when slowing in a turn...

Trailers? now we're talking!

2cdiqnd.jpg

43etnhl.jpg

2uhmtrq.jpg

2rp44mb.jpg

5yuq4q9.jpg

4p138s0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where/ what brand of hitch is available for the FJR? Anyone have pics of their bike with a hitch on?
Mine is a Classic Trailers standard 50mm ball hitch

on the trailer I have a swivel coupling made by the local traile bloke (Shadow Trailers)

Have towed with Blackbird (220 KPH - Shadow Trailer), XV750 Yamaha, ST1100, VN1500 and now about to spend 4 weeks with the FJR.