TPMS recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElliottM

Reaction score
I was thinking I would put a TPMS on my '08 to easily check my tire pressure before riding and to monitor pressure on long rides. What systems have you tried and recommend or would not recommend?

Recommendation: Don't

It's not needed if you simply check your tires each morning of a ride. It's costly. They frequently get ruined during a tire change.

Bounce, have you tried one or more TPMS? Is your feedback from your own use of one or more types or based on anecdotal evidence?

I get that I can check the tires, and I know they are not cheap. However, I know some people use them successfully.

I have the Doran system on my bike and find it very convenient to confirm my tire pressure is good before I start to ride. It also gives me peace of mind to know I will get an alarm if I develop a slow leak while riding before the pressure gets low enough to get me into trouble.

I change my own tires so being aware of the sensors I don't worry about damaging them. With the Doran system at least you have the option of mounting the sensors on the outside like a valve stem cap which I would recommend if you have the shop changing your tires. This should eliminate any risk of damage.

The batteries in the sensors sensors last four to five years and cost about $25 each to change out. For the cost I believe it is a good safety item. The one downside I would mention would be about tire balance. With the extra weight of the sensors I find it takes about 2 oz of weights to get the tires to balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend has the TireGard tire air pressure monitor on his ST1300 and likes it. The sensors screw on to the tire stem and the remote held in place with velcro, but I was told the remote is not waterproof? No wires, so it's an easy install. I've had the Smartire for over 4 years with no problems, but they are out of business. About 1 1/2 years ago, I installed Orange Electronics TPMS($100 each) on our car and truck. It's a nice unit, but they are now out of business and one sensor on each vehicle is dead already. The Doran units have been around for a while, which is good for replacement parts. The TPMS has given us a low pressure heads up on each vehicle, so we really like it.

Once you have it, you'll never want to be without it. I have the Doran now, like it. Used to have SmartTire years ago, loved it, but they no longer make MC systems.... recently found you can still get sensors (for awhile you couldn't), and they are more robust. SmartTire gave you temp as well as PSI. Had a Kisan system, it sucked. I hear of too many problems with TireGard and Orange... get whatcha pay for. With the Doran, sensor batteries will last longer if there is no air pressure, as they constantly transmit in the presence of air pressure. 2 years for me, always on, just replaced them, plan to remove when bike is in storage. I plan put a constant power to the display with an on/off switch, which means you can get readings with ignition off (6 minute delay for readings on power up). There is another new system out there that does temp and psi, looks like a good alternative to SmartTire. I'll check in with a buddy who has one and see how it's going, see if I can find the link. Ooops, here it is https://www.tiresafeguard.com/prices.htm

Interesting system. I wonder how much the sensors weigh? I see it does temperature as well although I doubt a stem-mounted sensor would be very useful for tire temperatures.

My TPMS experience is with cars. On bikes it's the years of stories of broken/costly-to-replace parts and orphaned customers.

I'm not someone with a BMW budget, so don't opt in on things that make my FJR as costly to keep running as a BMW.

I had initially ordered the SmartTire system but was unable to get the system due to issues that Bounce aluded to. My experience with Doran however does not match Bounce's assertions. I found their customer service quite good and their product a fair value.
Doran been in the motorcycle TPMS business for a while now and appear to be reputable. As far as being on a BMW budget I would rather keep my two Yamahas and my Highlander running properly then one BMW.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one thing that I really wish Yamaha had added to the '13 FJR along with all of the other nice technological improvements--has to be a minimal cost feature from the factory especially with the redesigned gauges. I had it on my '10 Concours 14 and it just gives you peace of mind (and yes, I still check my tire pressure with a gauge before every ride). If I'm going through some curves and the bike feels a little squirrelly I would just punch up the TPMS and confirm that my tires were still okay and it must just be the road surface. Really miss it on my '13 FJR.

+1 for Doran cust service. I forgot the sensor ID I bought for my extra rim, and called them, had it all straight per my name.

I have yet to have an issue with internally mounted sensors. If you are worried can mount them externally and very little downside. Huge upside for me is, hearing some strange noise and vibration on a new stretch of road, nice to know the tires are in tact, etc. I get paranoid about weird vibes and noises when balls deep. On a long ride or rally. To each their own.

I appreciate all the info shared by everyone. I had seen the TireGard, Orange and Tire-SafeGuard systems but had not seen the Doran systems. The Doran system sounds pretty good based on people's experiences, and for not much more than the Tire-SafeGuard TPMS it looks to include a handlebar mount and wiring.

I totally agree with the sentiment on cost, and I am admittedly cheap - to whit, my purchase of the Bestem T-Box 929 over more expensive choices. However, for less than $200, it seems like a reasonable spend to check something that needs to be checked every time one rides, and it may actually save my bacon. In the grand scheme of things that seems ok.