TPS Sensor delay from Yamaha

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bama FJR

Reaction score
Took my bike in for the tps recall 11 days ago. Called today hoping it was ready. Dealer says they still haven't received the part from Yamaha yet. Something to do with it being dropped shipped and prioritized based on how many units they've sold.

Any one else had this much of a delay??

Took my bike in for the tps recall 11 days ago. Called today hoping it was ready. Dealer says they still haven't received the part from Yamaha yet. Something to do with it being dropped shipped and prioritized based on how many units they've sold.
So Cal dealer already had the parts for DH's Warrior, and was expecting notification of when the FJR parts were arriving, last week.

I was SUPPOSED to go back and see him, but was having too much fun out riding.

Jill

Unfortunately the advice is too late now, but I would never have taken my FJR into the dealer until they had the part in hand.

Of course, I am not even going to have the recall done as my FJR does not exhibit any of the symptoms.

My dealer wouldn't even order the part until they had the bike. I asked the guy if I could come pick the bike up and ride it until they received the part and he said NO, that would violate Yamaha's recall policy.

Missed several beatiful fall days of riding down here in southeast.

And after all the money I've given those guy's over the years. geeeshh

Just give him a credit card # and tell him to charge ya and credit ya when you get it fixed... not that difficult... unless the dealer is a D*ck Head...

If he won't go for that... I would go get my bike and tell him to shove it, you'll get it fixed somewhere else....

JMHO...

Warp

I asked the guy if I could...ride it until they received the part and he said NO, that would violate Yamaha's recall policy.
Unless your dealer is married to someone close to you it is time to find another dealer. Well, even if they are married to someone close to you it is still time to find another dealer.

My dealer wouldn't even order the part until they had the bike. I asked the guy if I could come pick the bike up and ride it until they received the part and he said NO, that would violate Yamaha's recall policy.
Yeah......that's a bunch of crap and how dealers get themselves talked about on Internet forums. They're blowing smoke you know where my friend.

Unless they're going to offer you a loaner FJR free of charge, I'd be finding another dealer and suggest writing up your experience (be sure to name names) here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Called my dealer initially on a Saturday. Didn't have parts in stock. Placed the order with Yamaha that day, part was in his hands next Friday.

Don't take your bike to the dealership until they have the parts in hand. Call to make an appointment and tell them to call you when the part is in.

I agree with the above sentiments.

Be sure to mark your dealer in the dealer feedback area as Iggy suggested. It may be the same one that Scab was not happy with.

BTW have you met Scab yet?

Go get your bike and take it to D&H

I had mine done abt 2 weeks ago. I got a call from the dealer today saying Yamaha denied payment saying my bike was not in the VIN range of affected models. I hoofed my little recall letter down to the dealer and straigtened that out. :) :assassin:

I called first to make sure they had the sensor in stock. They did.

Yep. Called today and was told to bring it in any time. Then the service woman paused and asked me to hold. When she came back she said they had a bunch of the new TPSs on order, that they should be here by the end of the week, and to call to be sure before bringing it in. I don't use the dealership a lot, but this one has been pretty good when I have.

Yes, my local dealer just give me lip service on when I can expect a TPS.

I had this problem on a previous Yamaha bike, and I told the Dealer that I could not leave the bike as it was my only means of transportation. He relented after I said that, and just had the Service Manager call me when the part arrived. No way I would wait for a part as long as the bike was in running order.

Checked with dealer about the recall, said he have the part in a few days . I took the bike in at 4 pm a few days later and he called the next morning at 9, the bike was ready.

Had to wait two weeks for the appt. but got it in early on saturday, and was out by noon. Bike has never run better! Thanks again Kolbe! I don't know how your bike was running, but if it was like mine (and I didn't even realize it), then its worth the wait!

I think the variances we are seeing with this recall is mostly Dealer differences, not problems with Yamaha. My story is similar to some: called dealer, dealer said he had to order the part (took about 4 days), made an appointment, came in on scheduled day, asked if I could wait (Service Technician said the book said it would take about an hour and 45 minutes), I said I would wait (looked around at the bikes and parts), got a call over the intercom to come to the service department and pick up the bike. I was at the dealership for one hour and ten minutes but the actual wrenching took about 45 minutes. Of course some things may vary, but this is a pretty simple fix, so this should be relatively painless. Anything else and you're probably just be jerked around.

In the local sport forum one of the local dealers moderates a section in which entitled

"Factory Recall Information" This is what they posted

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some 2003-2005 FJR1300 may qualify for TPS update. Please contact our service department with serial number to verify qualification. This is an update not recall. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I sent them an email saying that the letter I got from Yamaha states the word RECALL and this is what they sent back as a reply

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best bet for you is to call our sirvice dept. and they can help you out.

455-3840 ext235------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From reading these (and other posts re: service depts) I feel lucky -- my dealer (Virginia Beach) has been nothing but excellent from day one. I swung by with my letter and the service manager had his recall notification right on top of his desk. They ordered the part, called me in 3 days and said to bring it in anytime. They took care of it with no problem or fuss.

For what its worth, the service billing shows the part at $73 and labor at 1.2 hours -- all on Momma Yamaha of course. Bike is running great (althought I had no problems with it prior). Happy Riding - Jay :)