Tragic...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
Chris M. Hoffman, security coordinator for Pima County Superior Court and retired Pima County sheriff's sergeant, was killed, along with his wife, in a motorcycle accident Saturday, an official said Monday.

Hoffman and his wife, Salle J. Hoffman, were riding on a Harley-Davidson™ motorcycle eastbound on U.S. 60 in Superior, about 90 miles north of Tucson, around 10:20 a.m. when Hoffman took his left hand off of the handle bars to wave at a passing motorcyclist, said Officer Jim Oien, a Department of Public Safety spokesman.

He lost control of his Harley-Davidson™ motorcycle and the couple was thrown from the Harley™ after it went off the road, striking a dirt mound, Oien said.

Couple things....

How did they figure out that taking his hand off to wave was what caused the accident, and not say a bug in the eye?

If they do know that's what caused it, I guess I can't fault Hardley riders for not waving back to me in the future...

I'm "only" 43 but I think about that scenario a lot. I can't stand the thought of ever giving up the bike but I know that day will some day arrive.

I hope to be able to ride well into my 70s. I have a good riding bud that's in his mid-70s and I wouldn't hesitate to ride with him anywhere.

There's been 2 motorcycle fatalities in the DC area in the last few days. One was a sportbiker that plowed into the guardrail coming off the GW Parkway in northern VA. Both were single vehicle accidents.

Police said "speed was probably a factor"

I'm "only" 43 but I think about that scenario a lot. I can't stand the thought of ever giving up the bike but I know that day will some day arrive.
I hope to be able to ride well into my 70s. I have a good riding bud that's in his mid-70s and I wouldn't hesitate to ride with him anywhere.
I have noticed an increase in the number of three wheelers in my area. A local shop sells them. I can't see myself ever enjoying one, but the folks that sell them say that most of their customers are people who can no longer manage a two wheeler for one reason or another.

I have noticed an increase in the number of three wheelers in my area. A local shop sells them. I can't see myself ever enjoying one, but the folks that sell them say that most of their customers are people who can no longer manage a two wheeler for one reason or another.

When your knees are bad, or your hips are bad and you just can't hold up a big bike at a stop light, that's when you switch to a trike.

We used to help take care of an old guy who lived across the street from me who's goal in life was to move to Florida and get back on the road on a trike.

Fortunately, he's there and doing that now. He's well into his 70's, and if he'd have stayed her much longer, the winters would have killed him literally. It's added years to his life.

This poor guy simply took one hand off the bar and crashed. Either the bike had severe problems or his riding skills were such that he should have taken up another leisure activity...

Last edited by a moderator:
About once a year I get to ride with one of my riding bud's father in law. Doc is 84 and rides a bmw 1150 naked with a side car. He didn't ride until he was 69, and started with a side car so his golden retriever could go with him. He's been through two retrievers and 3 bmw's, does about 40 k a year. Now he rides without dog, but puts al lot of miles on that bike. We have noticed his skills and reaction slowing down, but thats ok. He may die on the bike, but better than in a nursing home. As long as he doesn't take anyone with him. Age is relative.

Chris M. Hoffman, security coordinator for Pima County Superior Court and retired Pima County sheriff's sergeant, was killed, along with his wife, in a motorcycle accident Saturday, an official said Monday.
Hoffman and his wife, Salle J. Hoffman, were riding on a Harley-Davidson™ motorcycle eastbound on U.S. 60 in Superior, about 90 miles north of Tucson, around 10:20 a.m. when Hoffman took his left hand off of the handle bars to wave at a passing motorcyclist, said Officer Jim Oien, a Department of Public Safety spokesman.

He lost control of his Harley-Davidson™ motorcycle and the couple was thrown from the Harley™ after it went off the road, striking a dirt mound, Oien said.
:unsure: Sorry to hear of the death of any motorcyclist.

:unsure: Sorry to hear of the death of any motorcyclist.
+1

Just off the phone with Deb's aunt who lives in Carson City, NV. She didn't have all the details but a rider & pillion crashed near her house last week. Pillion thrown clear, rider decapitated :(

Probably got off into a soft shoulder and tried to jerk the bike back on to the road. Seen a guy on a GW do that and he went arse over tit into the hospital. Bike totalled.

Still over 40,000 killed on the road each year and you can bet some of those dead cagers were not particularly nice to look at either.

Sad very sad.

Ride safe.

Something doesn't add up...to me, at least. How the devil does taking one hand off the bar for a second or two wind up being a fatality? Since both rider and pillion were killed, the explanation is conjectural at best. Either a passing motoist observed or the authorities surmised an explanation. In either case it's all speculative.

-I can't believe the media didn't use the usual 'wasn't wearing a helmet' line.....perhaps they were in the minority of HD riders that do wear helmets.

Regardless of that, the whole thing is unfortunate to say the least.