Transmission hard to shift

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing change oil and filter , then ride and report back .These are bikes designed to do high milage and can take abuse, but they take some milage to " break in ".

I was going to sell my 2007 FJR because it shifted so hard. I could go down road and pull clutch in and it would be few seconds before clutch disengaged. I did search in the forums and found a customer service rep because dealer would not soak plates under warranty. When service rep told them to check everything out they finally soaked plates. It shifts like a dream now. I tried bleeding it before and it didn't work. Get them plates soaked and you'll be all set!

I had the same problem and Yamaha told the dealer to soak the clutch plates. No more hard downshifts or lurching when going from neutral to 1st.

Here's a link to my thread/problem:

Part1: Clicky

Part 2

Clicky

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only put a little over 1k miles on my new-to-me '06 (it has a little over 12k on it in total) and the transmission clunks going up through the gears (of course, once at speed, upshifting and downshifting is very smooth. Some of this, Im sure, is my inability to consistently find the right combination/timing of throttle and clutch while initially going up through the gears. This is very frustrating as I've been riding all types of bikes for over thirty years and never experienced anything like this before. I believe a large part of the issue is the abruptness of the throttle. I thought I'd just get used to it and adapt, but after 1k miles, I still haven't found the key. Next, I'm going to try the G2 throttle mod and see if that helps. I would appreciate any other ideas/suggestions anyone might have.

I've only put a little over 1k miles on my new-to-me '06 (it has a little over 12k on it in total) and the transmission clunks going up through the gears (of course, once at speed, upshifting and downshifting is very smooth. Some of this, Im sure, is my inability to consistently find the right combination/timing of throttle and clutch while initially going up through the gears. This is very frustrating as I've been riding all types of bikes for over thirty years and never experienced anything like this before. I believe a large part of the issue is the abruptness of the throttle. I thought I'd just get used to it and adapt, but after 1k miles, I still haven't found the key. Next, I'm going to try the G2 throttle mod and see if that helps. I would appreciate any other ideas/suggestions anyone might have.
G2 + Barbarian Mod made my 07 buttah smooth!