Travel Accessory Checklist

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never toured on 2 wheels to the Great Rocky Mountains. To save my feeble brain from the strain, can one of you highly-experienced folks share a checklist you may have for packing for long trips? Things like tire repair kit, 1st aid, etc. Thanks.

Underarmor stuff also works very well, and it also packs very small. Dries overnight, too.

Are you hoteling or camping?

Cell phone and charger. Sunblock. If you use a clear shield, you can still get sunburned. Duct tape. A couple extra ziplock bags. Tire gauge. one qt of oil.

If you're riding far enuf you need the oil changed, extra oil filter and washer.

Lic, reg,insurance cards.

Good tow insurance. and a great tow truck driver... so far, the only problem I've had is a flat front tire on my Harley.

Tow truck driver talked to Progressive insurance so I could get my tire changed without being charged extra for a 60 miles tow.

That was the closest shop out of 5 that had a tire to fit... next closest was Vegas, still about 114 miles away. I think the driver told them to not charge me or he'd charge them for the ride to Vegas and back... from somewhere on I-15 in Nv. No idea why my tire went flat, I think I ran over a wire from a blown truck tire, so even a plug would not have helped. The mech did test that the tire leaked, so it wasnt' just low on air.

I only bring stuff that I can do roadside, depends on the bike. that's not very much in my case. I have an air pump you can plug into a spark plug socket, but I wouldn't bother with that on an FJR, unless you're really good at playing with the tupperwear. A couple screwdrivers and extra signa/taillight bulbs was all I bothered with. and some Honda Spray & Clean..<G> Some of the guys here could pbly rebuild the whole bike on the side of the road, but not me.

Oh, I also had a hammerless S&W lightweight stainless .38 Sp +

The only thing I will not leave home without is my sheepskin... warmer in winter, cooler in summer, softer always... and wetter in the rain, but WTF...<BG>

And a hairdryer if I'm camping. Long wet hair sucks trying to sleep in a tent when it's cold at night.

During my xcountry ride one summer, one really nice lady somewhere in Az, came running after me as I was leaving, said she was so impressed by my riding cross country by myself, but the only thing she had to give me was a tube of antiseptic ointment. She was even all apologetic about it. I thot it was amusing, till I slipped on some rocks in my friend's yard a couple days later and skinned my knee... stuff came in really handy riding back home, even riding an FJR 2200 miles takes a day or two. <G>

Pack half the stuff you think you'll need, then take half of that.

Unless you're going off road, there's LOTS of WalMarts, Targets, Home Depots, etc all over... ok, at least close to freeways. And in some places where you think no one even lives.

Make sure you have room for a couple bottles of water, and drink about 6 times as much as you think you need to, especially when it's very hot or very cold out.

Oh last but not least... and empty credit card or a full checkcard..and a few $$$ cash.

Have fun... the FJR makes riding distances so easy.... I really miss mine!

Mary

B. COOKING/EATING EQUIPMENT1. Beer bottle opener

2. Beer can opener

3. Beer stein/mug

4. Jameson's Irish Whiskey

5. Bushmill's Irish Whiskey

Dont' know about #3, 4 and 5, but nothing worse than running to the 7-11 to pikc up a 6 pack, get back to camp, and find out you dont' have an church key! :angry2:

Take care,

Mary

B. COOKING/EATING EQUIPMENT1. Beer bottle opener

2. Beer can opener

3. Beer stein/mug

4. Jameson's Irish Whiskey

5. Bushmill's Irish Whiskey

Dont' know about #3, 4 and 5, but nothing worse than running to the 7-11 to pikc up a 6 pack, get back to camp, and find out you dont' have an church key! :angry2:

Take care,

Mary

krashdragon: I'm so glad to read that someone else beside me knows what a church key is! I was born in 1948 and a while back at the Southwest FJR Owners Rally that Reid Hester puts on in New Mexico I was in the same predicament in the hotel parking lot. I asked the crowd of young FJR guys and gals if anybody had a church key, and nobody knew what that was!

You guys are awesome! Haven't taken up the offers to PM anybody, as I have been able to put together a list from everyone else's lists already. And there were certainly things that I would have forgotten to include. I know I've got to look into the microfiber clothing thing. Also, my son (ex-boy scout) once had a pad that went under his sleeping bag, but he can't remember where he got it: It had fibre inside that allowed it to "self-inflate" when the valve was opened, then he closed the valve to hold the air in. And to roll it up, he opened the air valve again, so it flattened as he rolled it. any body know where I can get such a contraption? Thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic. And I hope others have profited as much as I. Phil

krashdragon: I'm so glad to read that someone else beside me knows what a church key is! I was born in 1948 and a while back at the Southwest FJR Owners Rally that Reid Hester puts on in New Mexico I was in the same predicament in the hotel parking lot. I asked the crowd of young FJR guys and gals if anybody had a church key, and nobody knew what that was!
Is this the new superfarkle?

I like the stainless one. In fact, I just ordered one from here. $11.50 delivered.

You guys are awesome! Haven't taken up the offers to PM anybody, as I have been able to put together a list from everyone else's lists already. And there were certainly things that I would have forgotten to include. I know I've got to look into the microfiber clothing thing. Also, my son (ex-boy scout) once had a pad that went under his sleeping bag, but he can't remember where he got it: It had fibre inside that allowed it to "self-inflate" when the valve was opened, then he closed the valve to hold the air in. And to roll it up, he opened the air valve again, so it flattened as he rolled it. any body know where I can get such a contraption? Thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic. And I hope others have profited as much as I. Phil
It's called an inflatable ground pad. Cabellas or any sporting goods store should have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the new superfarkle?

I like the stainless one. In fact, I just ordered one from here. $11.50 delivered.

It's called an inflatable ground pad. Cabellas or any sporting goods store should have it.
Andre: Thank you very much for the link. I just ordered the Guinness beer bottle opener and will mount it on my Givi top box!

Phil: Go to www.thermarest.com for info on their Thermarest pads. The US Army got those in 1974 as I was just getting out.

GI ground pounders immediately gave them their nickname: "Rubber Bitch!" I also saw the transition from 'C' to 'K' rations.