Travelers Guide to the Laurentians and Quebec

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugR

Reaction score
Although most of this is up one the CFR web site I'd thought I'd start a cross thread to assist folks who have never traveled in the area with some of the basics. If you have any tips of your own then please added them

First thing

Yes this is Quebec and the principal language is French.

Don't panic in most of the larger towns you will find that most folks do speak some English and if you are looking for basic supplies i.e beer, than read further.

To be honest you will probably have an easier time than me since with a heavy english accent I'm virtually unintelligible to the average francophone or actually to most Canadians and Americans in general.

The signage is in French.

Nord is North

Sud is South

Est is East

Ouest is West (This has caught me out once while navigating down town Montreal).

If you get disorientated check the road number

In Quebec odd numbered roads go North \ South, Even Numbers go East\ West

Note this is not true in Ontario

Road conditions can vary quite extensively in the area as these northern roads can sustain severe frost heave during the winter.

Caution should be used unless a sighting run has been done as the roads can change literally in mid bend from perfect pavement to heavily damaged. Sand and gravel can be present in the corners though by late June most of that has been washed away.

The area is heavily forested and has a healthy deer, moose and black bear population.

Cell phone service outside the towns can be very patchy to almost non- existent.

For all the above reasons it is recommended that you avoid riding at night, riding by yourself and if you have one bring your Spot Tracker.

The general population density is low, outside of the major towns the roads are punctuated by small lake side hamlets and cottage communities.

Posted road speeds outside of the villages is 90 Km\h and is only loosely regulated (general rule of thumb is stay under posted limit +20 km and you should be fine).

Inside the villages the limits are much more rigorously applied.

Since the rally is being held mid week outside of the towns the roads will be pretty empty.

Watch for kids in the villages and logging trucks can pop out of the woods at any point.

Gas can be hard to find and the economy is taking its toll on the small village pumps.

Unless you have a confirmed gas station start looking when 1/2 empty.

Road Numbers in Quebec

Remember if you are lost Even numbers run East-West, Odd number run North-South.

In Quebec the 300 series roads are your preferred choice (In Ontario it's the 500 series roads.)

If it starts with a 3 then it's worth at least one run.

Gas can be hard to find.

100 series roads are usually 'improved' 300 series roads.

They are usually the main traffic routes and I only usually use them as transit routes.

You will find gas though all along a 100 series road.

Backroad Riding

If you are dependent on your GPS take care.

The back roads in the area are brilliant but only 10% only of them are paved. Note as you go North and West in Quebec that unpaved % rises quite quickly.

Most are quite rideable if dry, most GPS maps though are not very reliable in the area. A Topo map is required.

If you notice some large gap between the 300 north south routes that is because there is usually a very large park or reserve in the area.

None of the roads will be paved.

Typical backroad condition and hazard (No these are not my pictures but that is a full single track road not a trail)

image0011.jpg

image0022.jpg

The SQ

1_z.jpg

Law enforcement in Quebec outside of the major cities is done by The Sûreté du Québec or SQ.

If you do have a encounter with the SQ then I suggest you be on your best behavior.

They can be pretty hard arsed and known for giving out tickets for minor equipment variations.

They also like to play the "no speak english game" with out of province license plates but most of them speak very good english so don't assume that they can't understand you and say something you might regret.

Make sure you have original vehicle and insurance documents on you, not photocopies, they do not like those.

If you ride with a radar detector and they find it you will lose your radar detector. (Generally true in Canada until you hit Alberta and BC)

If you do meet a moose or the SQ you will be looking for a beer or something stronger.

If you are looking for basic supplies in some of the smaller villages look out for a dépanneur or corner store, they will have everything including beer and wine you will probably need.

In the larger towns look for a SAQ sign (Société des Alcools).

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that moose picture was taken in Cape Breton along the Skyline Trail. The french ones are much bigger. :rolleyes:
I think thats an Alaskan moose. Everybody knows in order to get Cdn citizenship, one of the requirements is to carve your initials into a live moose rack. Theirs not a mark on those puppies.

Chris, thank you very much for the Quebec tutorial, very informative and helpful. "no speak English game", eh? Two can play that one, I'll only respond en Espanol; hopefully, they do not know what "tu Madre puta" or "pinche cabron" means!

I believe that moose picture was taken in Cape Breton along the Skyline Trail. The french ones are much bigger. :rolleyes:
I think thats an Alaskan moose. Everybody knows in order to get Cdn citizenship, one of the requirements is to carve your initials into a live moose rack. Theirs not a mark on those puppies.
It's one of your locals Steve,

Elliot Lake to be precise.

Just watch out for yourselves if you take Hwy 17 over Lake Superior

Pretty heavy negative sounding PR for the province . . . . look for gas at half tank? We aren't crossing an uninhabited desert wasteland out there except perhaps in the various parks. I do suggest riding in pairs, if for no other reason than your partner can roll for gas if you run out.

I think our visitors will certainly appreciate much of the detail you've provided.

Note that if you have a radar detector and they find it you not only lose it, but you WILL be hit with a $1,000 fine

Phone coverage is pretty darn good in the corridors between Tremblant and Montreal and Ottawa. Somewhat spotty between villages, though the laurentians are fairly well covered by both Bell (CDMA/3G) and Rogers (GSM/3G). If you have an iDen phone coverage will be nil outside the city unless you have a dual mode phone that supports a CDMA and/or 3G alternative.

I've done a lot of mileage in the province and while I have seen the occasional deer, my only encounter with a Moose was in Vermont.

Some of those SQ officers really can't speak much English - and keep those speeds to limit +19 (noting that we use kilometers here and not miles) - 20 over and you are hit with a fine. Also be aware that 2 lane highways can have highly variable speed limits - it can drop from 90 to 50 in a blink and for no reason; I've been tagged in another part of the province and discovered that the speed limit sign was overgrown with vines - and when I cleared the vines that day (and again the following year) I was threatened with arrest for (get this) 'obstructing justice'.

Registrations and licenses; Copies are not legal. Period. Also, carry an insurance card. Those are mandatory as well.

Minor equipment violations; Aftermarket exhausts. If you have them and if you get stopped, you will be ticketed . . . my friend managed to evade a ticket by having the cans on his ZX14 engraved with the Letters "Kawasaki" and "DOT" - they KNEW the cans were aftermarket, but they couldn't do anything because they had OEM markings!!!

It's one of your locals Steve, Elliot Lake to be precise.

Funny, I should have guessed. Its black. All the moose around here are black. Everytime you see a pic of a moose though, its brown. I've never seen a brown one.

I had no idea I lived in a 3rd world country
Repeat after me: Quebec is not a country. Despite your denizens best efforts :D

It's one of your locals Steve, Elliot Lake to be precise.

Funny, I should have guessed. Its black. All the moose around here are black. Everytime you see a pic of a moose though, its brown. I've never seen a brown one.
Odd. The way I got that email (a year or two ago), that guy was in Penniac - about 10 km from Freddy Beach ;)

I had no idea I lived in a 3rd world country
Arriba! I can't wait to get to Quebec! I love M/C touring Mexico and Guatemala because they're 3rd world countries. Papa Chuy is just "muy loco" enough for Quebec!

"he didn't mention strippers being our #1 export "..............yes, I may need a tour guide for that one. :rolleyes:
sheeeesh, now I'm up to 4 categories of routes to put together.

1. Scenic cruising (winding roads & beautiful scenery)

2. Sportier riding (twisties, watching the next apex and dodging R1s)

3. My personal favorites - backroad routes

4. ..."other"

No problem, I'll be you tourguide. Beers' on you :yahoo:

CFR 2010 is shaping-up more & more every day!

I saw a neat documentary on Québecois wildlife, in which they filmed this young moose on his way home from the stripclub in St Jovite (very near the CFR rally resort).

If you come-across a moose in this region (especially around closing-time), avoid eye-contact and for God's sake, DO NOT turn your back on one.

Would this be considered statutory rape?

moose1.jpg

moose2.jpg

Another tip: it's not a bad idea to cover your bike at night

moose3.jpg

Hey, I didn't say or mean to imply that Quebec is a 3rd world country,

I did miss the point that it's full of some of the friendliest people I have come across in the whole of Canada.

If my comments on the cell phone service and gas supply sounded a bit harsh it's because most of the area's I ride in Quebec are in the Pontiac, Val D'Or and North West of there, the population density is very low in those area's.

Chris

Hey CanadanFJR/Scott, that moose in the road is not the one that you sideswiped is it? Or was the one you clipped bigger?

Chester

By the way Scott, what is your Goosebay schedule? I plan on going there in July.

The one I had my encounter with didn't seem to be as horny :rolleyes:

We are leaving for Labrador on July 16th. I am booked for the 4:00 ferry. What direction are you going CW or CCW?

Canadian FJR