Traxxion AK 20's + Penske = Pure Bliss!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricks.06

Reaction score
Just had my suspension upgraded by Traxxion Dynamics. I'm lucky enough to live pretty close to their headquarters, so I had them do the install.

They put their excellent AK 20's on the front and a Penske on the back. All sprung for my weight, riding style and personal preferences.

All I can say is WOW! I've always heard that suspension is the best money you can spend on a bike and now I am a believer. The guys at Traxion are top notch. Lee gave me a tour of the shop, introduced me to everyone and gave me a great story of their history and suspension philosophies. The shop was so clean and organized you could eat off of the floor.

An overall great experience and now I have a new bike. Just in time as I'm off on a 1 month trip in a few weeks :p

Link for Traxxion- Clicky

Yes Lee is great to talk to and work with.

I had Omni 1.1 springs, the spring buffer kit, and oil for them and a Penskey rear with shock sock, ordered within a week of the bike getting delivered. I installed them and they are really something. This Winter I will get the 20's done. Neat thing is Lee said he will give me credit for the springs on the 20 install.

I have nothing to compare it to but mine as it sits now is all that and a bag of chips, with salsa too!

They are great people to deal with and Lee is very knowledgeable with FJR setup.

Well I was in 2200.00 on the K 1200LT With Hyper Pro, front, rear, and stabilizer and I do know what a suspension is worth. I never drove a mile on the FJR in stock suspension so I have no idea what one rides like other than a brief ride.

I needed to put money other places so I did what Lee recommended as a first strike,best bang for the buck. That was rear shock, and front springs with a buffer kit and oil of their choice in flavor and weight. All was spot on when I got done installing it. Rear shock spring was set up for my riding weight, and the fork springs and oil for that same riding weight.

I have been playing a bit, but I always come back to the original settings that is on my paper work from Traxxion, or very close to it. Also temp plays a roll in all this so settings can change a bit now and again. I am not even close to a suspension knowledgeable person, but putting the stuff in and setting it up was cave man easy.

if you have never ridden a motorcycle with an aftermarket suspension both front and rear you have no idea how good it can be.
True that. I wouldn't have believed it unless I had experienced the difference for myself. Now I'm forever doomed to purchase an aftermarket suspension on all future bikes :dribble:

Suspension is NEXT (I hope!)

I'll do the front as I need to pull it apart to change out the neck bearings, so figured to either ship the lowers off or get the parts and do myself.

The rear, well, that's big buck and was hoping to get in on a group buy or be quick enough on a good used Penski or similar.

Just got off the phone with Lee at Traxxion. In the process of upgrading my suspension. He told me Penske is coming out with a new shock that sells for $695 that he thinks would be a great match for the FJR. I am now awaiting a call from him, after he hears from Penske to find out if it will work on our bikes. If not, then the 8983 will be the one to use. After the EOM, I think it is more than justified. Definitely looking forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What spring rates did you end up with?
850 for the Penske. 200 lbs, mostly twisties and good roads. I just did a 7500 mile trip and the suspension was awesome!

Just got off the phone with Lee at Traxxion. In the process of upgrading my suspension. He told me Penske is coming out with a new shock that sells for $695 that he thinks would be a great match for the FJR. I am now awaiting a call from him, after he hears from Penske to find out if it will work on our bikes. If not, then the 8983 will be the one to use. After the EOM, I think it is more than justified. Definitely looking forward to it.
You will not be sorry!! Money well spent

I've got a $100 off coupon from CFO I'm not going to use. First PM gets it but you MUST be in the proces of getting service/product from Traxxion, not just thinking about it.

I went with Traxxion AK 20 and a penski rear shock. I don't know if I'm riding better or that it's that much easier to ride. I know my heart rate don't jump up near as much anymore. I really like this set up and Lee was great to work with.

You might be.

Back in spring of 08 I got a suspension upgrade. Worth more than the money spent. Made a new bike out of the FJR.
You guys need to shut the hell up! They're listening and they're going to continue to charge you an arm and a leg for a single shock!!! :lol:

We need more responses like me... I'd do it if it was cheaper, the FJR hauls ass in stock config. I do need to get my Wilbers into my 08 soon though, it was an upgrade on my 04. I climb around my bike like a monkey in a swing set when I'm in the curves so I don't notice a lot of changes, honestly. If I sit still on the seat I notice the bike wallows a lot more than if I am up on my toes, using my legs as suspension as I always do in twisties.

Last edited by a moderator: