Traxxion Dynamics fork kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Anyone tryed one of this kits... At $1000. bucks, they better be good...

Smitty

fork kit

Last edited by a moderator:
Scooter, fix my spelling will ya bro. Should be Traxxion Dynamics... Thanks Smitty

Scooter, fix my spelling will ya bro. Should be Traxxion Dynamics... Thanks Smitty
Not to mention that "anyone" doesn't have a "t" in it.... :lol:
I am here at work in the Clean room, typing with gloves on. Trying to hide from the boss. Shouldn't be on the net!! Don't tell anyone... Smitty

Although I've delt with Max for a number of years, and been more than satisfied with his work, I can't imagine spending that sort of $$ for anything short of a racebike ridden by a serious contendor.

Although I've delt with Max for a number of years, and been more than satisfied with his work, I can't imagine spending that sort of $$ for anything short of a racebike ridden by a serious contendor.
Hmmm. Not a bad point. But then I remember spending around $800-$900 for the wilbers 643, so if I spend that much on the back suspension, why not the front too? I tried Wilbers springs, and thicker oil, but still the same diving under hard braking, underdamped feel to the front end. The Wilbers springs and fork oil change DID make a noticeable improvement, just nowhere near enough, IMO.

One has to wonder if Max would consider a GB, if enough were interested. Looks like they have yet to outfit an FJR, but the website also states they are willing to create new applications. It would at least be interesting to see what difference it would make, comparing stock to the Traxxion kit. World of difference like the Wilbers rear shock or just a minor tuning upgrade?

Or a LD Rider who is prepping his machine for some hard-core Endurance Riding event, perhaps?

My Blackbird's right fork leg upon its return from Traxxion Dynamics last April:

RightLeg.jpg

Installed on the bike:

ForkLower2.jpg

Forks doing the job during their maiden voyage, a 2-day, 2500-mile run last May:

Cal24ReconLG.jpg

Or a LD Rider who is prepping his machine for some hard-core Endurance Riding event, perhaps?

My Blackbird's right fork leg upon its return from Traxxion Dynamics last April:

RightLeg.jpg

Installed on the bike:

ForkLower2.jpg

Forks doing the job during their maiden voyage, a 2-day, 2500-mile run last May:

Cal24ReconLG.jpg
Does that mean you think it is worth the bucks?? Or overkill WC... Smitty

I've dealt with Lee at Traxxion through the FZ board for some time now. A very helpful and informative dude. I bought 2 Penske 8981's for the FZ and my FJR and did the fork springs on the FZ with his help. The AK-20 kit is probably $1150.00 with shipping for the FJR, it is manufactured for your weight and style they also totally clean and polish the tubes and replace seals at a good price. He somehow gets another 1" of travel too. Lee now owns an '05 FJR and had it at the FZ rally in early June, sweet ride. He scares me describing how the OEM forks wear, especially when you don't change fork oil as you should.

I will be doing the AK-20 cartridge kit as finances allow.

Does that mean you think it is worth the bucks?? Or overkill WC... Smitty
Let me put it this way.....

I have (obviously) done a LOT of mods to the Blackbird over the years. Some have made a huge, dramatic improvement in the bike (Wilbers rear shock, Spiegler SS lines, ABM rotors, etc).

But NO MOD EVER has had such a MASSIVE improvement to the bike like the Traxxion AK-20 Cartridge Kits have. It has literally transformed the character of the bike... virtually had to "re-learn" how to steer this thing, the change (improvement) was that significant!

My Blackbird was the very first CBR1100XX to ever receive these AK-20 Cartridge Kits; it was the test bed for Traxxion Dynamics to learn on for this model bike. Once they did up mine, it was so massively impressive, you know we (Blackbird forum) just had to do a Group Buy on them (this was last spring: https://www.superblackbird.com/traxxion )

I had no doubt whatsoever that the AK-20 Cartridge Kits would do about the very same thing for the FJR.

ak-20kit.jpg

I stand (well, actually, sit) corrected.

OBTW, LOVE the schrader valve caps!

Absolutely agree with WC on the difference made by the AK-20 kit on the XX. I was one of the first guys to jump on the group buy WC put together, and got both the Penske 8981 shock and the AK20 kit (installed for only $150 by Traxxion, including new seals, etc.)

Probably the biggest weakness of the XX is the OEM front suspension -- generally undersprung, underdamped and no adjustments. At the XX meet 2 weeks ago, wherein we flogged highways 36, et al out of the Red Bluff area, my newly installed Traxxion fork kit MORE than made me think it was worth the money. Got home to the Penske and installed that last week. Put 330 miles or so on it last Sunday -- Killer suspension now. So . . .

I absolutely agree with WC in saying that this made by far the biggest difference of any mods to the bike.

Just sitting here, massaging the magnetic strip on my credit card, thinking just how awesome it would be to have a turn key solution for FJR front suspension like the Wilbers was for the rear. Wondering how many others feel the same way....??

I have ordered a Penske 8981, and have a pair of sonic springs waiting to get installed. If the front doesn't feel/act/behave like it should, instead of getting re-valved, I may skip straight to these....what are you thinking? Group Buy? :)

I can't speak for the FJR because I have not gotten mine yet. The Traxxion upgrade on the Goldwing is awesome. I know several riders that have had it done and they could not be happier. It completely changes the ride charateristics of the bike and all for the better. Higher ground clearance, less squat on acceleration, and less dive on pre-corner braking. The guys I rode with and I are not gentle on our GW's. All of them say that the Traxxion (front & rear) upgrade is the best money they spent. I was planning to do it but, I decided to get an FJR instead.

Note: i have spoken to Traxxion about modifying the ST1300 I'm getting my wife. They are going to lower it a bit w/ fork springs and rear shock. Not getting the cartidges up front for her; going with a progressive spring. Her riding style doesn't warrant the extra expense.

I can't speak for the FJR because I have not gotten mine yet. The Traxxion upgrade on the Goldwing is awesome. I know several riders that have had it done and they could not be happier. It completely changes the ride charateristics of the bike and all for the better. Higher ground clearance, less squat on acceleration, and less dive on pre-corner braking. The guys I rode with and I are not gentle on our GW's. All of them say that the Traxxion (front & rear) upgrade is the best money they spent. I was planning to do it but, I decided to get an FJR instead.
Note: i have spoken to Traxxion about modifying the ST1300 I'm getting my wife. They are going to lower it a bit w/ fork springs and rear shock. Not getting the cartidges up front for her; going with a progressive spring. Her riding style doesn't warrant the extra expense.
I am a sucker for suspension improvements! Based on your comment it sounds like you are getting an 06 which is what I have. Does Traxxion D....need a bike for R&D? Where are they? I would be interested. I put Wilbers on my 05 and that made all the difference in the world in my enjoyment of that bike....the 06 is better...BUT!

Ron

Traxxion Dynamis

Traxxion Dynamics is in Woodstock, GA. Just outside of Atlanta. I believe Fred H. can give insight into Traxxion. If I am not mistaken, he had his Wing done and likes it. He knows his stuff too.

I sent them an email asking if they would do a group buy since it had been mentioned and no one had posted they had already contacted them about one. I also asked about if there would be a diff for an 06.

I'll let you know what I hear