Trip report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaZ-Isaac

Reaction score
Just back from a 2 week, 4240 mile ride - S.F. Bay area > 128 > Rte 1 > 96 > Bend, Mt Hood, Mt Rainier, Mt St. Helens, Hood River > the Dalles, > 97 > crossed the border at Osoyoos > 3 > Banff > Jasper > Whitefish > back n forth through Glacier > 93 > 12 > 13 > 95 > 80 > home.

Four of us - my FJR, a VFR, GS1200 & BMW 1100.

Super trip without a bad moment. Averaged about 350 - 450 miles a day, 8 - 14 hours, mostly on secondary roads, avoided the slabs. Lots and lots of twisties.

The highlights were Banff > Lake Louise > Jasper and back. It's a must do for every rider!

The Hwy to the Sky at Glacier Nattional Park. It's the only thing that topped Canada.

Hwy 12 in Idaho - 90 miles of twisties from Missoula to New Meadows - Wow!

The FJR ran like a top - perfect - just add gas.

The bars in the back position worked just fine (6-0 with 31" inseam).

I had a seat pad with me but never used it. the stock seat worked for me.

Ram mounts on the mirror hole and the brake cover work perfectly for the GPS and the Camera. Just as advertised.

My own PVC Hwy pegs farkle were perfect - allowed me to move around and get air to my legs.

The +4 CalSci windscreen was a dream - terrific protection when desired, out of the way when preferred. Good protection in the rain. Quite when desired. Got pretty dinged up though - Not sure if it will return to clear again.

First gear Kilimanjjaro jacket worked all the way from hot to cold, dry to wet, plus offered a reasonable amount of security.

The Garmin 60cx GPS I bought for the trip sucked. I've never come across less intuitive, less user friendly software. Very disappointing. I tried 3 different pair of sunglasses and couldn't read the damn thing in any unless it had direct sunlight on it. Then the damn thing kept telling me to make u-turns. The one time I relied on it, it lead us astray. Very disappointing.

Speedometer is consistently off by about 5%.

Hard bags and liners were wonderful.

Anyway, great ride!

I have some photos posted here:

I would love to make that ride someday, could you give us the map route up to lake louise so I can possible ride it? Also the photos are great, can't wait to take my own photos when I visit craterlake after WFO, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator: