Troopers out in ful force on Washington Highways

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgrover

Reaction score
So last weekend we did a nice little 250 mile loop over the 3 pass blast route in Washington (Stevens, Blewitt, Snoqualmie). There were 4 of us, a Buell XB9, a Kaw Versys, a Kaw ZX-14, and my FJR. The ZX owner and I decided to swap bikes for a while headed over Blewitt pass... He'd never been on a sport tourer and I'd never ridden an uber-sport bike... (mistake #1)

We had been stuck behind some traffic doing EXACTLY 60 and it was driving me nuts... it's not often I have 160+ hp motorcycle at my beck and call... and I can do 60 all day on my 40hp KLR. There's a lonng stretch just before the pass where it opens up to 2 lanes each direction and it's almost PERFECTLY straight, so I decide to crack it open and see what the fuss is about (mistake #2)

As I ran through the gears, I was stunned on just how fast this thing is... I mean, the FJR is no slouch... but OMFG this thing is fast. So while I am grinning from ear to ear, heart racing, and well into triple digits, I fail to notice the Jeep Cherokee coming the other way flashing his high beams (mistake #3).

However, a few seconds later, I do notice the tiny white speck up ahead... and had a brief moment of clarity... OH SHIT! :blink:

I VERY quickly checked my mirrors (no one going to eat my arse) grabbed a fistful of binders, and started down shifting and engine breaking... hoping like hell I was going to get it down to a decent speed before I got in radar range... :unsure: and I thought my heart was pumping before...

As he got closer, he slowed down and pulled off to the shoulder to obviously give himself room to flip a u-turn. I knew I had fukked up and just as I passed him he hit the lights and flipped around behind me. I promptly stopped, turned off the bike, and waited... I was wondering what my wife was going to say about having to come out to the other side of the state to pick me up from jail... :blink:

He approached and asked for my license and registration... he commended me on my reaction times and thanked me for pulling over so cooperatively. He then said, he had clocked me at 78 first, and 74 second time. I swear, I have NEVER been happier to hear "I clocked you at 78 mph"... It must have showed on my face because he asked how I had been going... Of course I had really had no idea on how fast I had been going and was PRAYING he didn't notice the Zumo on the bike.

In the end, I got a $175 ticket and quite a long talkin to by the officer about the dangers of speed and motorcycles. Considering how fast I was going, I feel pretty lucky. It's my first ticket in 10+ years, so I filed for a deferral and will keep my nose clean for the next year.

Back to the original reason for the post - from that point on, we counted 14 cops... and the officer that pulled me over, had another customer before I had my helmet on. Needless to say... they are out in full charge these days...

Pretty much...

I forgot to mention... we checked the Zuno later on... it last logged 124, and given it takes it a few seconds to calculate speed... I'd guess I was somewhere in the 130 range... definitely into backseat of the squad car territory...

And DEFINITELY into asshat mode...

I told my buddy... in a sick way, I am glad it happened the way it did... those speeds, I coulda been a smear on the road. And now I have no inclination to take the Feejer up into triple land.

It's my first ticket in 10+ years, so I filed for a deferral and will keep my nose clean for the next year.
What is a "deferral" and who can apply? I recently received a speeding ticket in Island county which I would like to keep off my record.

It's my first ticket in 10+ years, so I filed for a deferral and will keep my nose clean for the next year.
What is a "deferral" and who can apply? I recently received a speeding ticket in Island county which I would like to keep off my record.
Washington will let you do a deferral for a year. Basically, the court suspends sentence and if you don't get any tickets in the next 364 days, the ticket goes away.

So last weekend we did a nice little 250 mile loop over the 3 pass blast route in Washington (Stevens, Blewitt, Snoqualmie).
I came back over Blewett on Sunday from Cashmere, so southbound. Riding alone. The only WSP I saw the whole weekend was on Blewett. I warned a couple of groups of riders coming the other way.

By the way, try Hy 821 sometime. Man, that's a hoot. The whole thing is posted 45 and I'm told it's patrolled frequently, but I was doing 70 (or so) and that's a great road...nary a straight bit!

Damn, it was hot though. Coming down 97 from Toppenish the air temp gauge was saying 97.

Sorry 'bout the driving award.

So last weekend we did a nice little 250 mile loop over the 3 pass blast route in Washington (Stevens, Blewitt, Snoqualmie).
I came back over Blewett on Sunday from Cashmere, so southbound. Riding alone. The only WSP I saw the whole weekend was on Blewett. I warned a couple of groups of riders coming the other way.

By the way, try Hy 821 sometime. Man, that's a hoot. The whole thing is posted 45 and I'm told it's patrolled frequently, but I was doing 70 (or so) and that's a great road...nary a straight bit!

Damn, it was hot though. Coming down 97 from Toppenish the air temp gauge was saying 97.

Sorry 'bout the driving award.
Coming down Hwy 2, we didn't see any police... averaged 80+ on the way down... the police presence didn't pick up until we hit 97...

It was hot as hell over there... Hitting Snoqualmie pass felt sooo good.

I'll look up Hwy 821, looking for more twisty rides. :yahoo:

Sounds like you got it shut down JIT to avoid a major SNAFU there Jason...Slow down a little will ya. WSP was out in force today with the holiday weekend and all. Made a trip over to the tri-cities and enforcement was really heavy around Ellensburg and points west.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a bunch of law-breaking hooligans to me.

whistling.gif

Hey, Jason, I did the exact same route (kind of) last Friday. My trip info HERE. And it was on my Zx14.

The only cop I saw the entire trip was heading northbound over Blewett Pass... he was running hot (radar on). It does pay to have a radar detector cuz' I was in triple digits in a few places (127, 136 & 154 are the GPS numbers. B) But I won't swear to it! :p

Then, there was the I-90 westbound run. In several places I was huddling around 90-100, and I was being passed by nearly everyone... including some bearded weirdo in a old Datsun pickup. WTF! :angry:

Within one week of buying my FJR, I got an award on 522 southbound by an unmarked cop. I got it deferred... it was my only ticket.. EVER!

Anyway, 97 is one nice road! ;)

Jason, that's the nice thing about true super sports - they have great brakes to match the great power. Sorry to hear you got a performance award but glad to hear it wasn't license-revoking-throw-yourself-in-jail-and-have-bubba-tell-you-"you-shure-have-a-pertty-mouth" kind of award.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jenny and I were Northbound on 97 last Sunday and I was happily breaking the law when a very thoughfull Harley going Southbound gave me the "down pat". Less than 1/2 a mile later I went by a parked WSP open for business and looking for paying customers. That guy on the Harley saved me a pretty expensive morning. Of course, I returned the favor to a couple of groups I saw heading south.