Trouble Shifting w/New Boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgfella

Reaction score
Everyone,

I got a great new set of Size 12 boots for Christmas. They are the Oxtar Infinity Boots. Personally, I love these boots, they are comfortable and high quality.

My problem is that I am having trouble shifting with them. I have the R1 shift arm (great mod), and have adjusted the shifter rod for maximum throw. Between my big feet, the R1 arm, and the extended shifter rod, I miss some shifts. If feels like the internal shifter mechanism is not disengaging from the previous shift. The corrective action is to remove all upward pressure on the shifter with an exaggerated foot movement down.

In my adjustments, I've noticed that there are two hash marks on the plate adjacent to the shift. The shifter is adjusted such that it reaches the hash marks both up and down. I do not think it exceeds them, though it might while riding.

Anyone know what these hash marks are for, or if there is an adjustment I could make to get my shifts more consistent. I'm thinking of returning to the stock FJR shifter as a next step, and possbily shortening the shifter rod as much as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

dgfella

It sounds like you just need to adjust the shift lever so it rests upward some. The adjustment is easy. Just loosen the locknuts and shorten the connecting rod between the shift arm and lever.

Yea, what toe said. The two hash marks are basically just a guideline for the range the shifter might be adjusted within when it is at rest. I don't pay any attention to the marks, myself. Adjust (shorten) the shifter rod until the shifter sits high enough that you don't touch it when you release it from the last shift. It sounds like you have it adjusted way too low so that you cannot clear the lever between gear shifts (typically a problem with new/stiffer/larger boots). Adjust it up. If you run out of adjustment, move the shift lever to the next splines and start adjusting again. When my lever sits at rest it is about 1/8 inch above the top hash mark if that is any consolation.

Easy.....wear your boots in. I bought a new pair of cowboy boots and had a hard time shifting. Wore the boots in for about a month....and la de da.....easy shifting. Made the change from harley to feejer and had no prob shifting till I bought a new pair of boots.

Got the same boots this month! Only been out on the FJR once and noticed the typical stiff-boot shifting. My boots are smaller (9) than yours and using the stock shifter. I ain't too worried 'bout it yet. Will see how it goes over time and distance.

Boots seem to be the shit though.

John.

I had to get used to my Oxfart Matrix boots when I first got them too. Thinner sole than my Rocky Elimintors, but the scuff pad on the toes of the Oxfart make the uppers feel thicker so exagerated ankle motion is needed until the boots break in (or you adjust to them).

I recently bought some new Alpinestar boots and had the same problem .

When changing up I find after the second time I cant unless I pull boot out and let the linkage dropback enough. I am getting used to it and have decided this is why Rossi puts his foot out coming to a bend as he is using a racing box and so to change down hes doing what we do to change up

:lol:

So we are in good company with this problem

:agree:

I adjusted the shift rod above the top hash mark and went for a ride today. This was effectively shortening the arm. I did not wear my boots, but there was a pronounced amount of free space. Next chance I get, I'll ride with the new boots.

Near as I can figure, the hash marks are for the benefit of the assembly line person who installs the shift rod, shift lever, and shift arm components. This would place the parts in a relatively common position as a baseline for adjustment by the owner.

Went for a loooong ride today, with my buds. It was great seeing them after a long winter and only short rides. Anyway, after the shifter adjustment as previously mentioned, and with my boots on, all things were great!