True Cost of Used FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikatollah

Reaction score
I was pretty pleased when a 2007 FJR fell into my lap last month for $6700. It was mostly stock with the exception of the Two Brothers exhaust. After a 150 mile road trip I was able to confidently bid on the bike with 8000 miles on e-bay, but not a lot of history was available to me. It had been traded in on a car, and I don't think the dealer appreciated what he had. Still, it was a risk.

I had to spend $700 to bring the bike up to date. It needed a front tire, a service and owner's manual, bag liners and locks, a windshield and the 8,000 mile service check. Also, the previous owner had not done the two recalls to fix the ignition and ECU. All of this was accomplished quickly with the exception of the ECU... still waiting on parts.

I went a bit overboard on the farkles. I bought two additional windshields (Givi and Cal Sci), Throttlemeister, risers, sliders, Spencer seat with Alaska Leather cover, and saddle bag rear reflectors. All of that stuff was about $900. So the true cost of my FJR has been around $8300 plus the taxes. I am pleased because I stayed under my original budget of $9k and didn't have any of the unpleasant surprises you can get buying stuff on e-bay. One pleasant surprise... when my dealer ran the vin check I found out I have 1.5 years left on a transferable YES agreement. Makes up for not coming with the bag locks and liners. Can't say I wasn't warned up on the farkling because I watched this list for several months before taking the plunge. It is a sickness...

So now I have the perfect bike. I don't know what a new one feels like because I've never ridden one, but this one feels pretty great. I've put 2k miles on it in the first month and I plan to hit the road with it. I'd like to do 25-30k miles in the first year, and if I can get 5 years of reliable service and fun out of her I will be one happy FNG.

$6700.00 sure seems to be a good price, 8K is not even broke in yet.

If your doing any kind of aggressive twisty riding, the bike will eat through tires!

The bag liners I found to be useless, but thats just me.

You got more crap than I do, and I'm on my 2nd FJR.

When you get around to an Arkansas trip, look me up!

I got mine off fleaby in August 2010 for around the same price with 5800 miles in Texas - maybe they just don't appreciate well built Japanese bikes down there?!?!? My addons have been a bit more extensive than yours (although that is a similar starting list for mine ;) .) Best bike I have ever owned and with my new Corbin seat and smuggler I am in Heaven!

Watch out for comparing apples and oranges. It sounds like you're adding all your farkles to the (real good) purchase price of your bike and comparing that to a new one. Hell no. You'd be adding those farkles onto your brand new FJR anyway. You got a great buy. Be happy.

It sounds like you're adding all your farkles to the (real good) purchase price of your bike and comparing that to a new one. Hell no. You'd be adding those farkles onto your brand new FJR anyway. You got a great buy. Be happy.
Especially when you consider the remaining 1.5 year YES warranty! Great deal all the way 'round.

$6700.00 sure seems to be a good price, 8K is not even broke in yet.

If your doing any kind of aggressive twisty riding, the bike will eat through tires!

The bag liners I found to be useless, but thats just me.

You got more crap than I do, and I'm on my 2nd FJR.

When you get around to an Arkansas trip, look me up!
I have to agree on the bag liners. So far they have been a waste of a hundred bucks.

The front tire was not just worn out... it was worn to the point of being dangerous to steer. It would fall into slow turns and I would have to muscle it back to center. The new tire provided much relief.

Watch out for comparing apples and oranges. It sounds like you're adding all your farkles to the (real good) purchase price of your bike and comparing that to a new one. Hell no. You'd be adding those farkles onto your brand new FJR anyway. You got a great buy. Be happy.
Good point. But to my wife it's not apples or oranges, it's just one big fruit salad. Whether I'm spending the money on insurance or license plates, it's all the same to her... just more money on my expensive hobbies. Most of my farkling is finished because I can't bear the look she gives me each time the UPS man shows up at the door. His name is David and he has three kids. I should not know this information.

Geez, you guys getting good prices on 2007's down here in Texas, and I can't seem to get anyone to come down below $9k for one.

I can't bear the look she gives me each time the UPS man shows up at the door. His name is David and he has three kids. I should not know this information.
This is where having all bike-related deliveries go to your workplace rather than home pays dividends. ;)

Congrats! No need to wonder what its like to compare to a new one. With 8,000 miles, it basically is a new one unless somebody worked hard to trash it.

And I love my bagliners. Use them frequently. When you want to fill the sidebag up to the max, especially with clothes, they are invaluable.

Congrats on the purchase!

From your description, it sounds like you got a great deal on the bike. I guess I view maintenance items as just that...maintenance. No matter what you buy it's necessary to go through and check things out.

Be careful with the farkle bug. From what I understand it's a hard one to get over...and the effects linger forever. ;)

--G