Trunk Attachment Plate Install ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim'sonDFJR

Reaction score
I'm ready to install the OEM trunk attachment plate and I see that I must drill into the plastic so that the two forward mounting plate bolts line up with and attach to the sub-frame (under the plastic). Any tips on how to make sure I'm drilling in the right spot on the plastic (centered over the sub-frame attachment points) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks you.

Tim B.

I'm extremely intoxicated right now or I'd help ya out bub.. Call me after 7AM tomorrow an I'll give ya 'owies or dik Carvers number..

B

No drilling here - 3 bolts off, 3 allen bolts that come with the plate on - done

did it yesterday :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Yamaha trunk plate for 1st gens does require 2 holes to be drilled in the rear shroud. 2nd gens do not. I bought and installed the trunk and mount second hand, but then later decided I liked the looks and capacity of the GIVI V46 w/ color matched top better than the Yamaha trunk, so I now have two black plastic hole plugs perpetually popped into those holes.

To drill the two holes I first taped the painted surface of the tail section, measured the locations of where I thought the holes would go based on the rear hole that is already there. Drill small pilot holes and stick something thin down to verify you measured corrctly, and make adjustments to pilot holes as needed. Then use an appropriate size hole saw to cut the holes to size. One tip to prevent chewing up the paint at the edges of those holes is to run the holesaw backwards (reverse your drill) until you've worn below the surface of the paint. Cutting through the soft plastic you may never have to run the hole saw forwards at all.

I hit my holes perfectly aligned this way. Not that it does me any good now... :rolleyes:

Fred, Thanks for the reply, My plan is to tape off the plastic and then drill a 1/8 hole to check the alignmnet before going to the big drill, looks like this is probably the best way.

Tim