Trunk fer under $20 delivered

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it mounted on the KLR and it definitely took some fiddling. Absolutely makes one understand why a Givi or factory bag costs more.

The mounting plate is a steel stamping. Unfortunately, I needed to make a new luggage rack plate for it to sit on, because the bolt pattern was just barely bigger than what Kawi provided. Not a knock on the piece of luggage, but an example of the fiddling yet to come.

Once mounted, the rubber feet on the mounting plate were way too tall. I tried over & over to mount the bag to the plate and only once was able to get engage the slot on the finger that sticks up. The rubber feet needed to be shaved a bit.

Even then, if the red mounting button isn't fully seated, you can knock the bag loose from the mounting plate. I finally used a Sharpie pen to put a couple of lines on the sides of the red disengagement button to know when it's fully set. I'm going to drill the bag and plate for a pit pin as a back-up.

The engagement for the lid is a bit finicky. Again, it'll hold if just right.

The key turns a metal finger and the single teeny screw holding the finger was loose. Needed lock-tite.

Bottom line: For the 1990 KLR as a campus bomber, sure. Actually looks good now that it's done and will hold a Shoei RF-1000. No way it's nice enough for the FJR and the installation wasn't for people who are hesitant to cut & fiddle.

Got it mounted on the KLR and it definitely took some fiddling. Absolutely makes one understand why a Givi or factory bag costs more.
The mounting plate is a steel stamping. Unfortunately, I needed to make a new luggage rack plate for it to sit on, because the bolt pattern was just barely bigger than what Kawi provided. Not a knock on the piece of luggage, but an example of the fiddling yet to come.

Once mounted, the rubber feet on the mounting plate were way too tall. I tried over & over to mount the bag to the plate and only once was able to get engage the slot on the finger that sticks up. The rubber feet needed to be shaved a bit.

Even then, if the red mounting button isn't fully seated, you can knock the bag loose from the mounting plate. I finally used a Sharpie pen to put a couple of lines on the sides of the red disengagement button to know when it's fully set. I'm going to drill the bag and plate for a pit pin as a back-up.

The engagement for the lid is a bit finicky. Again, it'll hold if just right.

The key turns a metal finger and the single teeny screw holding the finger was loose. Needed lock-tite.

Bottom line: For the 1990 KLR as a campus bomber, sure. Actually looks good now that it's done and will hold a Shoei RF-1000. No way it's nice enough for the FJR and the installation wasn't for people who are hesitant to cut & fiddle.
Thanks for the great write up on this Checkswrecks! :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone receive their top case yet? Looking for an update.

i only see a $79 price now????????????
I've been following the progress of my glossy silver trunk order by e-mail notifications from J.C. Whitney daily. Was notified that June 7th was the expected shipping date, and today got an e-mail stating that my order had been cancelled with no reason for the cancellation. As earlier posters have noted the price went up to $53.99 for the cheapest version now listed. The demand for this high quality trunk :rolleyes: must have outstripped the supply. Based on comments so far, I'm not sure that I'm unhappy about the cancellation. Probably won't order for $53.99 plus shipping, though.

Anyone receive their top case yet? Looking for an update.

i only see a $79 price now????????????
I've been following the progress of my glossy silver trunk order by e-mail notifications from J.C. Whitney daily. Was notified that June 7th was the expected shipping date, and today got an e-mail stating that my order had been cancelled with no reason for the cancellation. As earlier posters have noted the price went up to $53.99 for the cheapest version now listed. The demand for this high quality trunk :rolleyes: must have outstripped the supply. Based on comments so far, I'm not sure that I'm unhappy about the cancellation. Probably won't order for $53.99 plus shipping, though.
Dammit! I received the same cacellation email yesterday.

And it would have looked so good on my multi-colored '87 KLR.

No way it's nice enough for the FJR and the installation wasn't for people who are hesitant to cut & fiddle.
catsignsml.jpg
... ?? :unsure:

Okay, it is cheap and the Iron Cross is hokey. I got the medium-sized one in an earlier buy--was $40 shipped. Wife unit was skeptical, but now she loves it! Use it only for our longer trips together a couple times a year. I like the smaller profile, unlike some of the AWACs domes some of you guys use! It doesn't quite hold her helmet, though. But plenty of lipsticks! And makes a good backrest.

I mounted it with one of the provided rails on my Gen 1 luggage rack with a fair amount of dexterity required, but no drilling. Added a backrest pad and increased security with a couple of straps. Very solid. It survived our recent Boise to Florida trip no problemo. Now has become one of my favorite 2-up farkles.

DSCN1297.JPG

Follow-up post on the JC Whitney bag. I'd read reports about whacking the top and having the bag open, so I'd give it a few bumps and consider things good. About half the time I'd have to re-fasten the top and considered things ok.

But nooooo.....

Rode the KLR to work yesterday and not long after getting on the highway felt something behind me not right. Put my hand back and the bag was full open. Turns out the whacking I'd done wasn't the same as what the bag got from the bike and the low pressure behind my back pulled the top full open. In rush hour race traffic. Lost a piece of rain gear, but fortunate not to have my netbook come out. Had black tape in the toolbox (license plate) to get to work and then home. The permanent fix was to drill a hole in the handle last night and use a bloody Master lock.

This POS trunk looks good but has failed at so many levels, it's like having something obvious in your face...

4a4114b4.jpg