Trunk liners- what (if anything) did you use?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Good morning. I've been thinking of lining the inside of my Yamaha top trunk with something. Mostly to "cushion" things when they're in there. Is this something that most of you guys have done to your top trunks?

If you did add some sort of liner, what did you use and how did you install it?

I'm new to touring bikes, so I'm still learning. Thanks for any tips or advice you can offer.

I don't use the Yamaha top box, but I measured the inside of my top box and found a bag at Walmart that's just about perfect. It's got outside pockets that are handy for things I may need to find quickly on the road, shoes, electronics, etc. And it's large enough to hold several days' of tshirts, socks, etc. It cost me about $10.

To cushion things that need cushioning, I pack them in my clothes. My laptop, for instance, gets packed with jeans -- no need to take up space with a laptop case.

A few years ago I ordered a subscription to Cycle World magazine and it came with a small duffel bag that I use in the OEM top box. It only takes up one half and on the other half I use my lunch box cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use the Yamaha top box, but I measured the inside of my top box and found a bag at Walmart that's just about perfect. It's got outside pockets that are handy for things I may need to find quickly on the road, shoes, electronics, etc. And it's large enough to hold several days' of tshirts, socks, etc. It cost me about $10.
To cushion things that need cushioning, I pack them in my clothes. My laptop, for instance, gets packed with jeans -- no need to take up space with a laptop case.
Does that Walmart bag have a tag? Can you tell what brand / model it is?

Does that Walmart bag have a tag? Can you tell what brand / model it is?
It's the Walmart brand, Starter. I've used it since 2002 or so, first in my 'oldwing and now my Givi on the FJR.

It's similar to this one. Just measure the inside of your topbox.

Alright, you guys are making me feel stupid. Regarding the duffle bag or the Yamaha trunk bag (I didn't know there was such a thing, mine didn't come with one), those all make perfect sense. Off to Wal Mart or Target to look for a duffle bag!

Besides, gluing, cutting, and trimming the liner for a top trunk sonnets like there too many opportunities to mess it up.

Thanks guys!

Yep, I got a stiffy kit on my workbench. I'm planning on installing it tonight.

My trunk is usually a free-for-all and stays on the bike 99% of the time. I keep helmet cleaner, snacks, water, etc. Don't want all that in a bag. I just put a towel on the bottom of the top case - works for me.

Well I'm probably the only one that does this, but I pack a tank bag in my trunk. It holds a lot but doesn't fill the trunk entirely so there's room to stash stuff around the sides.

If I'm on a trip and need some extra storage space for anything, like clothing layers when the temps increase, or something I've bought on the trip, I can stick the tank bag on the tank and I have lot's of extra storage space in the trunk.

Works for me.

Well I'm probably the only one that does this, but I pack a tank bag in my trunk. It holds a lot but doesn't fill the trunk entirely so there's room to stash stuff around the sides.If I'm on a trip and need some extra storage space for anything, like clothing layers when the temps increase, or something I've bought on the trip, I can stick the tank bag on the tank and I have lot's of extra storage space in the trunk.

Works for me.
Hmmmm....
mda.gif

I've always heard to "pack a hole." That sounds like a pretty good hole ;)