Trunk or tail bag, what do you think?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midas1244

Reaction score
I am planning a week long trip in May and have been looking at tail bags. I would like a trunk but don't want to spend over $300 for trunk and mounting plate (including shipping). Am I further ahead buying a tail bag or trying to buy a less exspensive trunk? All opinions are welcome. I have been looking at the 4 sale forum and haven't come across anything for 06 :yahoo:

i like the tail bag way, as i only need it for a couple long trips per year.

94large-3.jpg

Midas,

Check out THIS THREAD also for some good ideas. I don't have or use a Givi or such and have always liked using a soft tail trunk or tail bag instead. Opinions, however, may vary.

BOTH! Ya cheap ass. Geez, you wear the same shoes every day? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
BOTH! Ya cheap ass. Geez, you wear the same shoes every day? ;)
+1. dang... the yamaha lists for like... what?... $13.8 - $15K (USD that is)? and you can't figure out if you want a $300 purse for it?

come on... just get both!!! $300 is about 2.1739130434782608695652173913043% of the $13,800 list for the non-cool/AE model....

I highly recommend the Moto-Fizz Medium seat bag.

100730124-L.jpg

Purchased through RiderWearhouse - Aerostitch - MotoFizz

I use the medium. Carried lots of stuff in it last July over 11 days - including my laptop. I tuck my briefcase in it when I ride to work.

To bad it's not available in HiViz Yellow. It clashes with my Roadcrafter.

:blink:

Another vote here for the Moto-Fizz medium. Used it on two bikes, well made and with the expandable sides can fit a ton of gear.

--G

Hard trunk is more secure and waterproof. It will give you peace of mind when you stop for meals while traveling cross-country. If you get the GIVI trunk it can be placed or removed in an instant. Don't forget, the trunk is also a backrest for a pillion if you have one. I also have a smaller softbag I use when riding short distances one-up.

Hard trunk is more secure and waterproof. It will give you peace of mind when you stop for meals while traveling cross-country. If you get the GIVI trunk it can be placed or removed in an instant. Don't forget, the trunk is also a backrest for a pillion if you have one. I also have a smaller softbag I use when riding short distances one-up.
+1. I used tail bags for years. The trunk is much more convenient for everything. I like being able to toss stuff in there, lock it, and walk away without hauling crap with me or wondering who is poking around my stuff. And since I'm a commuter, I use it every day. The Givi (I have the 52) has been worth every penny to me. I think you'd be really happy you made the investment.

But if it's between the tail bag and a cheap trunk... I'd probably go with a quality tail bag. If I'm going to put something on my bike, I want it to be good stuff first.

You said tailbags, so assuming this will not go on the passenger seat how will you mount it? The '06 "luggage" rack is anything but, there are no attachment points. If you can find a way to fasten soft luggage to the stock bike securely you can save some money, otherwise you are looking at buying an aftermarket luggage rack (as in the photos above) from Garauld, Premier Accessories, SW-MOTO, etc. Unfortunately the price of a rack and good soft luggage is putting you into hard luggage range in terms of price, so price may not be the determining factor here.

Yamaha really screwed the pooch with the new rack :angry:

I love the flexibility offered by the hard cases and it doesn't look all that bad as the only case on the bike. I commute with a Givi V46 topcase and when I get to work, the briefcase comes out and the helmet and gloves go in. I take my Aerostich into the office so I can hear the 'you look like a spaceman' comments. This flexibility justified the additional $ spent.

8093-500x600.jpg

Chips i just ordered V46 my self with a replacement Cherry Red top. Can you please post a picture from the back to show the color of yours and how it will look. And did you also used Dwain's mounting plate?

As mentioned a good hardcase is waterproof and lockable and a good back rest but really if a thief wants your items they can purge either type of setup. Personally I just don't like the looks of the hardcase. The main reason other than looks is with this softbag I can take it off the bike pull out the handle, set my two sidebag liners on top and wheel it up a zillion floors to my hotel room etc. Best deal I found was at CycleSpot.Com. This type of bag is also very roomy and functional and the rain cover works well at any speed if that is your bag....PM. <>< :D

Introducing the Kuryakyn Grantraveler Bag:

KuryakynGrantravelerBag.jpg

A less expensive alternative to the OEM or Givi racks and trunks is Hepco-Becker. The quality is as good or better than those and a variety of trunk styles and sizes are available. The only "downside" is that they only come in black or a silver/black combo. I have their rack on both of my bikes and 2 different size trunks. I can switch the trunks between the 2 bikes depending on my capacity needs.