trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxrybound

Reaction score
I would like a trunk for the long weekends and extended trips but the Yamaha is $ the givi is a little $ but I have seen some on eBay for about 70$ and don't laugh jc Whitney has a few too. Has anyone use these and if so what's your opinion on them. I know you get what you pay for but for the occasional trip would these hold up?

I would like to get a givi since my bike already has a monokey mount on it. But the $$$ is low thanks

I would like a trunk for the long weekends and extended trips but the Yamaha is $ the givi is a little $ but I have seen some on eBay for about 70$ and don't laugh jc Whitney has a few too. Has anyone use these and if so what's your opinion on them. I know you get what you pay for but for the occasional trip would these hold up?

I would like to get a givi since my bike already has a monokey mount on it. But the $$$ is low thanks
You may not want to ask a question, because it probably has already been talked about on this forum. Yeah, I know, there may be someone with a different perspective or maybe you just want to hear peoples opinions that haven't posted on this subject. I'm just sayin.

I've had different top cases over the years. I had a J.C.Whitney on an older bike but the old design allowed the top to rattle, newer designs may be better.

There was anothe brand-unknown top case on my KLR when I bought it.

I have a Givi that was on my '04 when I crashed and now is the '05 replacement. I also added a mount plate to the KLR rack so the Givi transfers bike-to-bike. I like it alot.

Here are some links that might help:

J.C. Whitney topcase site:fjrforum.com

J.C. Whitney top case site:fjrforum.com

Givi top case site:fjrforum.com

There are other options like "Shad" that others are using. In the end, buy what you can afford and use it then save your money to buy what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Yamaha case's only advantage is color matching. It's more expensive, and it holds less stuff. Personally, I think it's uglier, too.

Givi from the 46 and bigger easily holds two helmets, or anything comparably sized.

I don't think it's really about how much money you spend on the case. It's about how much money you spend on the stuff you carry in the case that you don't want to lose when the cheap-ass J.C.Whitney case breaks away or somebody pries it open with a popsicle stick. Well, the POS I bought felt about that dependable. It was on sale very cheap, so I ordered it. It might have worked, fit-wise, with the OEM tail piece, but I took that off some time ago and replaced it with a good sturdy rack--made by Garauld, and it didn't work with that. I thought about modifying it to fit on the rack, but decided it just wasn't worth doing. Really light weight and flimsy.

I knew it wasn't worth the cost of shipping so I offered it to anybody local for free. No takers. They came and took it away one Wednesday morning in a big white truck.

Get a Givi V46 and don't look back. Mine is on it's second bike and looks/works great.

Just my $.02 worth.

Im gonna quickly chim in and say that I had a Givi 46 for a few years and didnt have any luck with it. Maybe it was the specific unit that I had, but it was a lemon. (flimsy, I couldnt keep the tail lite covers on, the latch would disengage at will. etc)

Last spring, I tossed it and picked up a E52. I am really happy with it.

If you want a cheap and nearly indestructible box, you could go with a Pelican 1550. The downside is that you have to figure out a way to mount it and it isn't tall enough to hold a helmet...oh, and it's extraordinarily ugly.

img0067ej.jpg

I have a Yamaha trunk and my advice would be to get a cheaper one and get it painted to match. While the Yamaha one is nice in that it matches the lines, color and you only need one key to open everything, the cost is pretty ridiculous.

Another option is to get a rashed one off ebay and send it to garauld (on this site) for his magic refinishing service.

I purchased a used Givi E52 Maxia from a forum member (including the Givi mount and grab rail) and so far it works great. It can hold two helmets, but we find that when stopped while on day rides, we put the helmets in the side cases and stuff the rest of our riding gear in the Givi. Seems quite solid on the mount, no big deal carrying one extra key and I was lucky enough that the PO had already had it painted silver, which is close enough for my '06 AE.

If you want a cheap and nearly indestructible box, you could go with a Pelican 1550. The downside is that you have to figure out a way to mount it and it isn't tall enough to hold a helmet...oh, and it's extraordinarily ugly.

img0067ej.jpg
I love the UGLY and the price is hard to beat. My total cost was under $150. Plus it's a great off season project. :D

DSCN2407.jpg

I own the Yamaha top case and love it. When there was word that the bottom part of the case was cracking in certain situations Yamaha issued a recall o bring the bike in and reinforced it with steel plates. The key is the same as the ignition and the quality cannot be beat. Would I spend the $600 again? Not sure, but I am happy I have it.

I'm looking to buy a Givi top case and mounting rack and will probably pull the trigger tomorrow. Twisted Throttle has very competitive prices, but their shipping is pretty high. Anyone have experience with RLMotorcycles.com who ships for #9.95 flat, or Helmethead with free shipping? Everyone seems to have the same price, and shipping is the only place savings add up.

I have a JC Whitney (Sears too), same thing. The first one got busted by my wife running into in Utah. the second is doing fine after more than 60K. Here are some pics over the years. I like to use the trunk over the side bags, u will notice in the pics. https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenhattan/sets/72157594362896376/

I paint them to match the bike and no one ever asks me what kind of cheap ass box is that. And I haven't found any of SacramentoMike's popsicle sticks laying around. ;)

Added: I didn't know that a slide show would come up.. Thats cool.