Try Alternatives BEFORE HI$ Custom Seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

Reaction score
Preface: Age- over 60, Hgt- 6 ft, Wgt- 165, Inseam- 32.

Experience: Many miles in hot, cold, wet and dry weather. No passenger.

We all know butts, like feet, come in all sizes and sensitivities and if the stock seat on your new ride fits you in all situations, you are indeed, fortunate. How well your seat fits is evidenced by how long you can ride before your mind starts concentrating on your ache :blink: . Many years ago, the thrill of the ride was recalled by days of tenderness after the return. No more. Custom materials and fitted seats make it possible to cover long distances on consecutive days without suffering. But you know the custom makers charge big bucks for their work and the finished product can be a work of art without always delivering the intended comfort :glare: .

My brother and I had BMW R1100RTs for about five years. My used '99 had a leather Corbin which I never changed and his '96 had the "Comfort" seat which was intolerable for him. He sent it to Sargent for a $300+ redo which still gave him fits. He sent it back to a second custom maker(can't remember who) for a redo. He tried a gel/memory pad. He tried bicycle shorts. I traded him my AirHawk, which helped. Lastly, he sent the seat to Rick Mayer with pictures of his sitting position and details of his anatomy :unsure: . That one still did not satisfy although he sold the bike before giving it a long trial. He's now on an '03 K1200RS and, surprisingly, was sitting much more comfortably using the AirHawk crosswise. These BMrs had the three position adjustable height seats.

I kept the Corbin because it spread the load over a wide area and allowed me to move around. I raised the front by 1/2 inch to alleviate the wedgy effect and occassionally used an Alaska Butt Pad. I found the shape of the Corbin was more important than it's hardness. I also found that lined overpants without the AK pad made the seat more comfortable (softer) in cool weather. I also realized that the broad Corbin allowed me to slide around and change positions rather than locking me in to torture my sit bones.

So, when I got the '05 FJR I concentrated on "tweaking points" on the first long distance trip. Yup, seat needed fixing. Having done some custom carving on two KLR seats, I had no misgivings about taking the knife to the FJR when I got back :assassin: . I cut it down to take out some height and make it broader and flatter and cut it back almost to where the pan rises to make it longer. I also cut the rear seat to make it flatter and wider to support the MotoFizz seat bag better.

Now the options: Bead Rider on top of the AK fleece. The beads sink into the fleece still giving the mobility and "massaging" surface but insulating against too much ventilation on cold mornings. Slip the fleece out when it gets hot and you need the ventilation. Also, slip the fleece out and put it in your bag to keep it dry when it rains. No soggy fleece and, with the beads' spacing between you and the seat, no puddle trapped at crotch level <_< .

More advantages? You can adjust the "padding" effect of the fleece by adding a fold at the front or where-ever you decide, to alter the whole sitting position. This is what finally is giving my brother the relief he needs.

More? I roll my fleece pad inside a sweatshirt or jacket liner to make my camp pillow.

More! You can try both these products for much less than a multi $ investment in a work of art. And if you still decide to make the investment, you may still find use for them :) .

Nothing against custom seats. I just want to spread the $ toward other accessories :D .

I've had the Bead Rider and AK Butt Pad a few years and know they are quality products. Can't remember the cost but under $100 back in the day. Cheaper stuff from Walmart can be adapted for a trial.

PS: Yes, I submitted this to BMW ON last year as a "touring tip" but the new editor butchered it :glare: .

I have one of those CrossGel medical type pad seats that is about 2" high, It works well, but I have to stand on the tips of my toes. I have tried the bead rider and the airhawk and I like the airhawk the best.

A fairly concise information package.

I often suggest new owners try fleece before spending the money on a seat. Another option is to buy a fleece seat cover from CSK or some other "box" auto supply and trim it to fit.

All "hinder parts" are not created equal, therefore we modify contact points to suit.

I used fleece to extend my comfort mileage to 250-300 miles before "butt-burn", hoping my body would adapt. After 7 months I spent the money for a seat that allows me to ride all day and the next and the next. There are alternatives that work for some individuals and they could try them first. If they need to they can then buy a custom seat (though some have tried 2 or 3 seats to find a "match").

We're very fortunate here in Central Arizona. We've Don Hendrickson "The Saddleman" who operates out of his home in Chandler. Don does fantastic work with gel pads and new foam modifications for old seats. He's done my RT and GS BMW, he modified the passenger portion of my H-D Super Glide seat because my son Seth was complaining and he redid my FJR seat before I rode to Fairlaners house in Torrance at Thanksgiving. Made a whole new riding experience with the FJR1300.

As soon as I get back today from my dual sport ride onboard my '09 BMW GS Twin I'm taking that seat over to Don's house to modify that monster. I swear, in 40 continuous years of riding BMW's, each new BMW seat is worse than the last one!!!

I also tried the beads with no success, Airhawk gained me 100 miles. Then I bought a sett of spare seats, and the "feat" of cutting my seat was over. I read an article on customizing your own seat, got out the electric carving knife, flattened out the seat,leaving the farthest parts of the front and back alone. Then per instructions, I sat on it, and determined where the boney parts of my butt were hitting, made some crude marks on the seat, cut 2 teardrop shapes where the marks were, and that part was done. I then glued some(not much, as I wanted to use the stock cover) of the carved material onto the sides. I should mention, I have a boney a$$, and my seat and me are finally capable of some 600 mile days.

Good background, very thorough. I'm 53 YO, 175lbs, 6'1", 33" inseam--pretty similar dimensions to you. The height/weight ratio probably means you and I might have similar lack of ass padding, but I don't want to compare! :D

I tried the fleece/bead combo but with the beads down first. I also tried them individually.

Nothing helped much and by the end of a 550 mile day I was almost to the point of wishing I didn't have to ride the next day.

On Friday I got my seat back from Spencer. I have it back on the '08 and will try to give it a try today when the temps hit 40s here in KC. I know I won't be able to give it a full test. For me to see an improvement it will have to feel good for 200 miles. That is the point where the stock seat, even with fleece and beads, began to cause my sit bones some pain. Spencer has told me it takes a couple of tanks full of riding for it to find its sweet spot, his term was "happy place." I probably won't be able to fully test it until early spring b/c I doubt if I'll get 400-500 miles or 10-15 hours on the seat until then.

I'm hoping this is going to be workable for me. If it isn't I may just have to ride to the coast and get a custom, ride-in adjustment.

I also tried the beads with no success, Airhawk gained me 100 miles. Then I bought a sett of spare seats, and the "feat" of cutting my seat was over. I read an article on customizing your own seat, got out the electric carving knife, flattened out the seat,leaving the farthest parts of the front and back alone. Then per instructions, I sat on it, and determined where the boney parts of my butt were hitting, made some crude marks on the seat, cut 2 teardrop shapes where the marks were, and that part was done. I then glued some(not much, as I wanted to use the stock cover) of the carved material onto the sides. I should mention, I have a boney a$$, and my seat and me are finally capable of some 600 mile days.
your post wasn't up when I wrote the reply above. I'll keep this in mind if the Spencer mod doesn't fill the bill. When you said "tear drop" do you mean like a little divit for each sit bone? like a cone shape ( V ) for each sit bone to rest in?

Front to back narrow to fat in the middle back to narrow. front to back 4-5 inches long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Front to back narrow to fat in the middle back to narrow. front to back 4-5 inches long.
so, basically, a trough for the sit bones to rest in. right?

seems like this could almost be tested before attacking the seat by getting some foam and cutting it to the shape of the seat and then cutting holes in the foam for the sit bones. then put it over the seat, sit down and ride with it and try it out.

thanks for the inspiration.

Try an Allyn inflatible seat pad, about 40 bucks for the double full coverage model. He offers a front solo version, but not all vendors carry it. The solo is just the front half of the double, cut off. Install the solo backwards on the FJR seat and inflate just half way or to your liking. Works for me. Have one on all my bikes. I think JC Whitney and Shadetree carry the pads. Cheaper than the Airhawk.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 04 was uncomfortable because I used to be quite muscular everywhere.

My 06 is perfectly comfortable because I'm a wimp nowdays.

I have beads. Loved them on the 04. Don't care about them on the '06.

Saw a guy with a couch pillow under his arse on a cruiser. He loved it because it kept his mangina dry.

So is it the bike or the rider or the combo? There is no one right answer. Kudos on making commentary about trying options before spending the big bucks. Sometimes the simple fixes are the best ones.