Trying to decide between shocks, need some advice.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULEWZ

Reaction score
I am trying to redue the suspension on my 07 and am going to start with the shock, then the forks.

Most shocks are way too much for the budget right now, so I have narrowed my choice to the following:

Which shock is the best for spirited riding, rebuildability, and price?

Nitron Sport Shock, $571.45

Nitron Track Shock $800.03

Wilbers Type 740 road $665.94

Wilbers Type 641 $932.63

Hyperpro Sport shock $563.77

Ohlins Mono Shock S46dR1 $826.56

I know there will be those saying to save my money and buy a $1,000 plus Penske, but that price is not in the cards for now, so please, stick to the under $900 price range.

I considered the rebuild of the stock shock, but heard sasquash is on an extended vacation with the state, so that option is out. I am also interested in a used shock, but seem to always be a day late and a dollar short.

Advice please?

Thanks

Lots of alternatives out there as you've already discovered. I would reach out to KFG Racing, Traxxion and Cogent Dymanics, explain what you're looking for and see what they recommend. I know that Penske introduced a budget 8900 series shock last year that's available for FJRs. IIRC price was around $600.

Good luck and happy searching!

--G

Whatever you decide, be careful when removing the stocker. On mine that upper shock bolt was a bitch to remove. I bruised the back of my hand on the swing arm during removal, despite using a breaker bar on my socket. 46ft-lb my a$$!

Also, the bolts are not captured bolts -- the other end will turn unless you put a socket on them, too!

Get someone to help, even if only to hold the other wrench on the bolt head side, while you curse and sweat. Use of an air rachet is highly recommended. (I went and bought one later, to ease future bolt removals)

Good luck with your shock search!

My 8983 was just over $800 including spring from Traxxion Dynamics last Sept. They may give a 10% discount for forum members, they did for me. I found their service beyond excellent and the shock a huge improvement over the stock noodle of a shock. Happy shock hunting!

My 8983 was just over $800 including spring from Traxxion Dynamics last Sept. They may give a 10% discount for forum members, they did for me. I found their service beyond excellent and the shock a huge improvement over the stock noodle of a shock. Happy shock hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of alternatives out there as you've already discovered. I would reach out to KFG Racing, Traxxion and Cogent Dymanics, explain what you're looking for and see what they recommend. I know that Penske introduced a budget 8900 series shock last year that's available for FJRs. IIRC price was around $600.
Good luck and happy searching!

--G
+1 Yeah what --G says.

I will add this. I understand you have a budget but doing the back and not the front will just leave you will an unbalanced setup. I suggest waiting a while until you can do the front and the back. The results will be superior.

You did not say if you have suspension and mechanical knowledge to do this work yourself. Stating that will get better advice here.

You can get a Penske for about $900.

+1. My Penske 8983 was $795 + Hyperco 'personalized' spring $100 = $895 - forum discount of $90 = $805.

A riding buddy replaced his VStrom shock with one from Hagon https://www.hagonshocksusa.com/index.htm - don't know much about them, but for $578 + shipping etc., he's happy.

I think they are in your neck o' the woods?

Of course features have a lot to do with price. Most peeps do not feel the need for high AND low speed compression damping, remote preload adjustment or ride height adjustment.

Can't say from personal experience about all the different quality aftermarket shocks, but I would think the basic more affordable models from the top brands would all be a fine choice.

I'm a personal fan of the Penske 8983 on my race bike and hope to get one from Santa this year for the FJR.
rolleyes.gif

GP Suspensions had a group buy this winter with the Penske 8983 priced at $795. I bet if you asked real nice like they'd give it to you at that price still. If you do opt for a new shock, you'd probably be best to at least replace the springs up front for another $100.

I will do the front right after the rear. Just doing the springs on the front will not do. If I knew the best shim stack, I would do the racetech thing myself.

I am also looking into Lindemann Engineering which is semi local to me. I will see if they rebuild the stocker like Sasquash use to. I also sent an email to GP suspension to see if I could still get the good deal. Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming.

Hagon is hit or miss, and mostly regarded as lower rate.

I didn't mean to tell you not to do the full boat upgrade up front, but that'll cost you another $300 for parts (minimum) for a DIY re-valving, or else around $5-600 for a shop to do it. You'll eventually have to replace the fork springs anyway, so the springs you put in there now will work later, and make it much more bearable until you get around to spending the last big chunk. Having a well sprung and damped rear end and soft front probably won't work out all that well.

I will do the front right after the rear. Just doing the springs on the front will not do. If I knew the best shim stack, I would do the racetech thing myself.
Its my understanding that the Racetech kit consists of a new valve and a handful of shims with a recommended shim stack so you can rebuild your OEM damping pistons. GP Suspension gives you a entirely new piston with the valve and shims already installed.....at the same price as Racetech. Makes it easy to transfer/swap the entire cartridge to another FJR.

Its my understanding that the Racetech kit consists of a new valve and a handful of shims with a recommended shim stack so you can rebuild your OEM damping pistons. GP Suspension gives you a entirely new piston with the valve and shims already installed.....at the same price as Racetech. Makes it easy to transfer/swap the entire cartridge to another FJR.
That's not correct as I understand it. Racetech gives you a new piston. That is the whole point. The valving orifices on the stock piston are tiny. The orifices on the Racetech piston are huge which allows one to tune their damping with shims.

I'm sure you already have thought of this, but race tech will rebuild your stock shock with a stiffer spring and could put stiffer springs in forks as well for an incremental improvement. 20% off of their website for current forum discount. Can't go wrong with a Penske as well (or other options). I can't speak intelligently about what is best but I know dozens of peeps that are über satisfied.

That's not correct as I understand it. Racetech gives you a new piston. That is the whole point. The valving orifices on the stock piston are tiny. The orifices on the Racetech piston are huge which allows one to tune their damping with shims.
My comment was based on (1) what I have been told, and (2) pictures of the Racetech kits I have seen online, but if that isn't correct then I would like to know the answer.....and maybe it varies depending on the bike, kits for some bikes and new pistons for others. Didn't you just do the Racetech upgrade on your 09? If so, what did you get? Did you take pictures of the upgrade? And still waiting for your ride report......
smile.png