Turbo or Super Charger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueman

blueman
Reaction score
Can you get either a turbo or blower for and FJR. I would think you would have to lower compression from its current 10 plus to 1 and other internal stuff. In the dirt bike industry with AMA motocross the EPA pushed to kill 2 stokes which they have done. The wierd deal with 125 two strokes with 250 four strokes racing against each other. And 250 two stroke racing with open class four strokes could have been solved. If the four stroke where inhance with a super charger it could race with the same size two stroke. Anyway I was thinking has anybody done that yet!

yEs. Tdub pUT hes Mouth OveR teh CarbarooteRs all the times for xtras power and inhances. And he-is very fastest.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone pulls this off, a TC or SC installation, then posts pics and 1/4 miles time slips, we''ll have a buttload of new post fodder.

"When will the '06s arrive?" has been beaten down to recurring pointless thread status.

How about from the factory. If yamaha offered a FJR1300 Turbo for say an extra four five thousand would you buy it, I would. 200 horse,190 mile an hour scooter. It can be done yamaha has had turbo bikes before "Seca 650 Turbo ect". Nine second quarter mile bike shaft drive with bags for less than 20 grand. Oh and a sixth gear!!!! Deflecting heat from my feet and a gear indicator yeah so what.

yEs.  Tdub pUT hes Mouth OveR teh CarbarooteRs all the times for xtras power and inhances.  And he-is very fastest.
Huaaaaaa Huaa Huaaaaaa Huuuaaaa... Oh... my... I ... can't.... breathe... Bwhuaaaaaa Huaa Huaaaa Huaaaa... the tears...

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :lmao: :lmao:

Turbo chargers get very hot. My vote would be a direct drive super charger. Not sure where it would fit. Better still, if they could increase displacement without increasing weight we could have more power without stressing the engine the way a blower does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue-

Dude, you haven't even ridden an FJR yet! It's a rocket! Get the bike first...then make up your mind about power. My '03 can wheelie in 3rd gear with just using the throttle! Top speed recorded on a dyno was 156mph! It's already very fast. Granted, the '03 have been documented to be quicker than others (and it's lighter, too).

A turbo sport touring bike is kinda against the concept of long distance reliability-doubt it would ever happen from the factory. If you recall, the older seca and honda turbo bikes had insurance rates that were through the roof, too. And they did not last that long.

They normally are short lived appliances, spinning at nearly 100,000 rpms on the high end! My Mr2 Turbo with a TD06 turbine runs at appx 90,000rpms at 17 pounds of boost. Fast as hell..almost as fast an the FJR..but will need to be rebuilt every 40-50K miles of street driven use. Track use would kill it within a season of racing.

Besides, where would you put a turbo or SC? Everything is sooo tight I doubt it would fit.

Keep i mind that turbo engines as designed from the factory have quite a few modifications to the base engine. Fueling, ignition timing, stronger main bolts, larger distance between cylynders, larger cooling jackets, larger radiator, lower compression, forged pistons/rods/cranks, ceramics, and a different exhaust system. You may even need water injection or an intercooler to keep detonation at bay. Obviously you are risking a VERY short lived engine if you add something like a turbo and it wsa not designed for it.

My vote is to get a Hayabusa if you want something crazy fast (as opposed to silly fast). And they do have turbo kits for that bike.

What bike did you have before?

All the past factory turbo bikes had serious issues that prevented them from being "good" bikes. Yes they had superior acceleration (Kawasaki GPz 750 Turbo) but the extra weight of the bike coupled with the lame off boost performace rendered these bike to dropped. Costs were also a factor....You could buy a full sized sport bike for similar money and have a much more well rounded bike.

Top speed recorded on a dyno was 156mph! 
roflol4fi.gif

:dribble:

I had a Turbo Seca - and that thing was an accident looking for a place to happen. There was so much slop in the swing arm (granted old technology) that it was impossible to hold a line through a turn, plus those skinny tires. The thing was also a total dog till it pulled boost, which as I recall was around 4500 rpm then all hell broke lose! The 'turbo lag' was the biggest problem however (the turbo was so small and spun at something like 200,000 rpm under boost). As I said, boost took forever to build, and then when you tried to shut it down there seemed what was like a second of lag (still pulling boost) before it responded and began to shut down. Made for some real interesting situations. Usually when ya shut the throttle down you want to slow down not continue to accelerate, and it did accelerate when it was pulling boost. Brakes were very marginal - drum rear as I recall. But it sure looked good for it's time. I'll stick with the FJR.

Panther- It's true! 1/2 mile drag dyno I hit 156mph. That was just over 17seconds, IIRC. 119mph in the 1/4 @ 127RWHP.

This was at HONDA homecoming no less. Got some cheers from the ST cronies oogling my bike too!

Do we really need to go much faster than this?

Lag is definitely a problem. You need a really well designed turbo, intake, exhaust, and top end to minimize lag. Low end grunt is one of the best features f an FJR engine!

The Seca's blow-off-valve, or by-pass valve(a device that bleeds boost pressure upon closing the throttle plate) probably was not designed properly, or was faulty if you experienced boost after closing the throttle. Sounds dangerous to you and murder on the turbo itself. You should have heard a hiss or barfing sound upon closing the throttle.

Panther- It's true! 1/2 mile drag dyno I hit 156mph. That was just over 17seconds, IIRC. 119mph in the 1/4 @ 127RWHP.
This was at HONDA homecoming no less. Got some cheers from the ST cronies oogling my bike too!

Do we really need to go much faster than this?
Next time I'm racing dynos, I'll get in touch.

OBTW, how big was the fan they used to create the wind resistance of an actual top-speed run and what powered it?

The Seca's blow-off-valve, or by-pass valve(a device that bleeds boost pressure upon closing the throttle plate) probably was not designed properly, or was faulty if you experienced boost after closing the throttle. Sounds dangerous to you and murder on the turbo itself. You should have heard a hiss or barfing sound upon closing the throttle.
The (relatively) long intake tracts of the late `70's early `80's turbo bikes led to overboosting. Combine that with some really crude mechanical BOVs and virtually no electronics and you got problems unheard of with today's setups.

The BIG Four all tried the factory turbo route during the period. But, w/o electronics, (knock sensors in particular) they had to build the engines with such low compression and retarded ignition that they were dogs until they came on boost. What you ended up with was techno whizz bang for it's own sake and a bike that weight up an engine class w/o real usable power.

Wastegates for turbos=old tech......variable vane turbos are where its at now. If you study turbos you will see that they are a tradeoff on any engine that has a wide rpm range. Too big of a turbo and you don't get any boost until very high engine rpms. Too small of a turbo and it gives great low end boost but chokes at higher speed and can not deliver enough air flow at high engine speed. Some applications (automotive) use a dual turbo setup...One small turbo for low end response and a larger turbo for high engine RPM....not practical for motorcycle use! If you look for new technology in turbos look to the VW TDI varrible vane turbo. It uses no waste gate and it adjusts the pitch of the turbo blades to control the amount of boost without overboosting. There was also a wicked kit for the old Toyota MR2 supercharged cars...HKS made a turbo kit for them called the twin charger kit. It used the stock supercharger for bottom end power then at higher RPM the turbo took over (the stock supercharger used an electrontic clutch). This combo was good for 10 second 1/4 times when dialed in correctly....not bad from a 1600 CC motor (that was designed by Yamaha!!!!)

You have a point, Panter....no windtunnel. Just a dyno on the rear and drag tree to time the run/launch. Keep in mind this was for a 1/2 mile run. I still had RPM's to spare. But yes, to be fair, there is no way you cold match that on the street unless a hurricane was at your back!

However, I've seen reports of folks doing 155+ on the bike. Just look at Warchilds' avatar. I've hit 140, but ran out of heuvos and room to go any faster. But in the middle of a desert, yeah, I think the bike can do 155+.

Rad- Wow, 30lbs of boost would be one hell of a thrill ride if it can hold together.

But screw the wastegate..."I'm givin er awl she's gawt, cuptain!"