Turbo or Super Charger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rad- Wow, 30lbs of boost would be one hell of a thrill ride if it can hold together.  But screw the wastegate..."I'm givin er awl she's gawt, cuptain!"
Yes it would. But ya simply just don't have the room on the Feej to use it. Aftercooler, modern controls, and 1.3 liters of sturdily built motor is mighty tempting, but hell, people are bitchin cuz there's no room for a shock hose and brake lines. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget the "heat problem"! Got enough people asking about a heat fix,wait 'til the turbo gives ya toasties. Definitely need the speed then,or just hope rush hour happens to pass an ER for ya! :haha: ;)

I do have an 05 FJR, love it. Before I had a connie before that and assorted 30 or so dirt and street bikes ect. When I was 16 years old I was lucky enough to work on a racing P-51 Mustang. Back then in 1976 one of the dudes I was working with had a Kawa Z-1 that he installed a turbo on. I took that down a vacant taxe way one time, scared the crap out of me. It was a blast. If I remember the motor on that thing finally gave. I under stand the heat issue, I think thats totally over rated. For what ever reason Yamaha has addressed that issue in 06, put it seems it added weight to. A Super Charger would be the way to go. Heat being the biggest issue down side with the turgo. Blowers have been around for almost 100 years. There simple and effective. Where do you get the gas. That could be the real problem. You would have to have a knock sensor. On top of building a motor for it.

Blueman

I have this very shiny 2004 Limited Edition GSX1300R Hayabusa in my garage. and for around $8K, it can be yours. It already has about 175 HP and goes VERY fast. You could add some silly boost to it and and go VERY VERY fast if you like. Let me know if you like to peek at a naughty picture of it. I think you would look good on it.

True the tubo Hayabusa is the way to go. My retired neighbor (mid s60's) has one....and never stops fu*#ing with it. Bought it new in 2003 I think....many sacrifices to the Gods of speed. In its present state it has a hand built fuel rail, CNC designed airbox, hand built exhaust, water alcohol injection, boost limiter in the lower 3 gears, lowered compression and numerous hours on the dyno....Has dyno'd it above 350hp @ 20# boost but has detuned it for the street to about 300hp. Never rides it above 150 mph but enjoys getting it up to that point. Yeehaa B)

Thanks for the offer. I am now at capacity in my garage with the two wheeled vehicles taking up the majority. I could always move a couple of my boys out of their rooms. They like the great out doors. And there outside most of the time anyway.

Divenride

I am selling the Hayabusa for a friend of mine who took it away from his kid so I have not ridden it much. The few times I have had it out, it scared the hell out of me whenever I twist the throttle very hard. I cannot imagine this bike putting out over 300 HP unless it was in a drag bike configuration on a closed straight line track with lots of soft things to run into and paramedics everywhere. And I'd still get you to ride it. Wowie! This bike's power humbles me.

Bikerskier

I haven't ridden it!!! We just go riding together ...And I watch him quickly dissappear whenever he finds a straightaway and so chooses. Thru the turns he can't keep up with me... :D ......On a funny note I remember once when he was getting it near the 350 hp range he had thought the clutch had failed (We have a test area within 2 miles of the house) He had opened it up at about a hundred.... so he came home, tore the clutch apart and it looked fine... went back out there and found about a 50ft black stripe on the road. hahaha....I think that was about when he decided enough was enough and scaled it back to 300hp.

Divenride

In the late 70's I rode a friend's Rickman. It was a light weight frame & wheels packaged with a Kawasaki Z900 (THE motor of that era) with a turbo. When that turbo kicked in you needed to be handcuffed to the handlebars. To stop the thing you needed a chute. The adrenaline rush of the decade! :D

But every time we rode as a group in the summer, he would always need time to cool that thing off.

Even though modern turbos are much better, for the amount of money needed to modify your FJR you would probably be better off adding a Nitrous bottle. More power...way less expensive, and unless abused...less wear and tear on parts. B)

However, I've seen reports of folks doing 155+ on the bike. Just look at Warchilds' avatar.  I've hit 140, but ran out of heuvos and room to go any faster.  But in the middle of a desert, yeah, I think the bike can do 155+.
That top speed is reportedly from Warchild's Blackbird, not his FJR. (IIRC).

Its the 0-100 that would be a lot of fun!!!
I guess I don't get it. To me it's the twists and curves that do it. All the hyper bikes that people have been talking about in this thread seem to be more like drag bikes; quick but mainly straight line riding. [yawn]

Put on a small NOS bottle, button on the bar and screw in a conservative 25hp nozzle. You choose when, where and how long. In a couple of months when you are replacing the engine you can buy a used motor, put in a big bore kit, balance and blueprint it and put in a hot cam. The TOUR part will be mostly gone and with the weight + suspension the SPORT part will be mostly missing too. There you have it, a well balanced bike :wacko:

Well, I'd agree there is no such thing as too much power. I had the first factory turbo charged bike (Honda CX500T). Twist the wrist, wait a sec or two, and get a kick in the pants. Even at full boost the FJR would leave it for dead. Note it had lower compression than a regular CX500 so off-boost it was a pig. Still, a modern turbo or s/c could be fun.

Its the 0-100 that would be a lot of fun!!!
I guess I don't get it. To me it's the twists and curves that do it. All the hyper bikes that people have been talking about in this thread seem to be more like drag bikes; quick but mainly straight line riding. [yawn]
I am not a drag racing guy at all.....I like the power for driving out of a corner and just launching down a short straightaway before hauling the bike down with full threshold braking before doing it all again coming out of the corner...granted the FJR is not the best bike to be doing this on!