Two Brother's Racing System exhaust and the '05

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firedog

Reaction score
Okay, so I tried patiently (not so much) to perform a search on this topic to only find other info.

I've recently installed a Two Brother's Racing System exhaust on the FJR. BTW...I'm in love. BUT, every once in a while, the girl dies at idle. I took her out for a 160 mile jaunt today and twice it died on me during a traffic light at idol. It happened when I was just beginning to throttle up.

So, my question to all you folks is...does the FJR need a Power Commander to balance the fuel/air ratio? Don't get too technical in your answer. I'm not all that is mechanical like some of you buffs out there! ;)

I read around the forum that the Power Commander mainly smooths the throttle. Can it help with the idol issue?

I have an 05 (best FeeJ made) with Two Bros Racing cans, not a complete exhaust system (which would include the complete header), and it does just fine. No PC or remapping needed. The previous owner installed them and did nothing to the bike. Runs like a champ! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. I'm using the original header. I have the cans and pipes connecting to the header. My bike has never behaved like that until the exhaust was changed. Hmm...

I have an 05 (best FeeJ made) with Two Bros Racing cans, not a complete exhaust system (which would include the complete header), and it does just fine. No PC or remapping needed. The previous owner installed them and did nothing to the bike. Runs like a champ! ;)

What's your bike's idle speed set to? Many stalling issues are attributable to too low an idle speed.

Set it to 1100 rpm. Not 1000, even though the specs say 1000-1100, make it 1100.

I also had the TBR slip-ons installed 6 month ago on my '06, and the only thing I noticed was that my plugs started to foul out really bad. The fouling stopped after I switched to premium unleaded. My idle didn't change though. Patriot's suggestion would be my next step if adjusting the idle doesn't help.

It is due to have all of this service done to it. I think we are on the right track here.

All replies have been great. Thanks for the response.

when's the last time you:
did a TBS

changed the plugs

check the air filter

might be worth a look see...

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Firedog,

When was the last time you checked your Air Filter?

If you have a clogged air filter, critters nest, etc, you could experience Fuel Richness & bad Idlling.

Just a thought.

did a TBS

changed the plugs

check the air filter

Mike in Nawlins'
+...Maybe too simple, but where is the idle set now (RPMs)?

I have 2Bros slip ons on my '08 with heavily modified air box and had them on my '05-I run a Dobeck "Techlusion" FI module, made to plug into (simple) the FJR. Cheaper than a PC, simpler, very effective. Smooths out the idle and has "pots" you adjust just by turning a screw. Really wakes up the performance (adjusts the fuel curve). The first "pot" smooths out the idle, the second you adjust to add fuel when you crack it open fast, the third works like changing main jets (mostly when you have headers or heavy mods) and the fourth controls the point at which you want the additional fuel stopped (based on RPMs). None of the adjustments need a map or dyno tuning. All by ear and seat of the pants. I run nitrous so I have it set to add fuel when wide open and it works perfectly.

>I had full headers on my '05 and with the Techlusion I had it set up so it really screamed from 4,000 rpms on-a real kick. However, with headers I lost some mid range (2,000-3,500) and no amount of adjustment could get it back. Because the mid range is what I like most about the FJR, I won't use headers again. However, if you spend much time above 3500rpms you'll love headers.

I also had the TBR slip-ons installed 6 month ago on my '06, and the only thing I noticed was that my plugs started to foul out really bad. The fouling stopped after I switched to premium unleaded. My idle didn't change though. Patriot's suggestion would be my next step if adjusting the idle doesn't help.
Higher octane has nothing to do with fouling, unless it's pre-ignition and eating your electrodes. Octane takes care or pre-detination (pinging), not richness of fuel, that's an air mixture issue, if I'm understanding you correctly in the use of the term, "fouling".

Firedog,
When was the last time you checked your Air Filter?

If you have a clogged air filter, critters nest, etc, you could experience Fuel Richness & bad Idlling.

Just a thought.

It definitely needs a new air filter. I'm getting it next week. I'm springing for a K&N.

did a TBS

changed the plugs

check the air filter

Mike in Nawlins'
+...Maybe too simple, but where is the idle set now (RPMs)?

I have 2Bros slip ons on my '08 with heavily modified air box and had them on my '05-I run a Dobeck "Techlusion" FI module, made to plug into (simple) the FJR. Cheaper than a PC, simpler, very effective. Smooths out the idle and has "pots" you adjust just by turning a screw. Really wakes up the performance (adjusts the fuel curve). The first "pot" smooths out the idle, the second you adjust to add fuel when you crack it open fast, the third works like changing main jets (mostly when you have headers or heavy mods) and the fourth controls the point at which you want the additional fuel stopped (based on RPMs). None of the adjustments need a map or dyno tuning. All by ear and seat of the pants. I run nitrous so I have it set to add fuel when wide open and it works perfectly.

>I had full headers on my '05 and with the Techlusion I had it set up so it really screamed from 4,000 rpms on-a real kick. However, with headers I lost some mid range (2,000-3,500) and no amount of adjustment could get it back. Because the mid range is what I like most about the FJR, I won't use headers again. However, if you spend much time above 3500rpms you'll love headers.

I did a TBS and changed the spark plugs. It's been running much smoother. Needs a new air filter. I'll place it in next week. I think it's been an accumulation of things. Now that I've gotten past my first TBS and Spark Plug replacement, a filter change sounds pretty easy.

BTW, I had fun fishing the spark plugs out. Found out that the 5/8" spark plug socked didn't fish them out like I wanted. I need a one of these.

What's your bike's idle speed set to? Many stalling issues are attributable to too low an idle speed.
Set it to 1100 rpm. Not 1000, even though the specs say 1000-1100, make it 1100.

My bike idols at 1100 RPM, just as the service manual recommends. I didn't mention this on my previous post, but when I did the TBS, the pressures were WAY off. I got them set to spec and it smoothed out nicely.

Last edited by a moderator: