Two Brothers slip on installation HELP!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgross98

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a set of two brothers slip ons from the forum here. I have removed my old pipes and installed the two brothers...I am a little worried though...where the pipe slips over the header and you get a supplied clamp...it is tightened ALL the way down and there still seems to be a little bit of movement between the pipes??? Is this normal? Am I missing something???

Please help, the bike is sitting in my garage and I am worried about riding it like this...thanks

Robert

Not sure what you mean about "movement". Like a bowel movement? How much is a little movement? When you have a big-ole can on the end of that long pipe, you have leverage to move almost anything. I have 2-Bros CF cans, and even totally clamped down at the header and passenger peg, I can move the can a bit, mainly in a twist motion. No worries.

The exhaust just needs to flow thru it not support anything like the rider. Also be careful how tight you tighten the header clamp you could break it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it could slid a little bit in a rotational direction and slide a little bit fore/aft....i just thought that it would be rock solid at the connection point given it has a strap fastener.....

I did start the bike up, and i did not hear any significant sounds of a leak at the end of the header area....after it getting a little bit hot, it seemed to be a little bit tighter (why, i don't know)....also the center stand sits on the left pipe and really takes a bang when coming off the center stand...hope it holds up....

thanks for your reply blues....i am still a little worried, but feel better with you help...thanks

Not sure what you mean about "movement". Like a bowel movement? How much is a little movement? When you have a big-ole can on the end of that long pipe, you have leverage to move almost anything. I have 2-Bros CF cans, and even totally clamped down at the header and passenger peg, I can move the can a bit, mainly in a twist motion. No worries.
The exhaust just needs to flow thru it not support anything like the rider. Also be careful how tight you tighten the header clamp you could break it.

I did start the bike up, and i did not hear any significant sounds of a leak at the end of the header area....after it getting a little bit hot, it seemed to be a little bit tighter (why, i don't know)....
Heat makes metal expand. Sometimes more than you think. That's why a steam header in plants have a U in the pipe every so often to allow expansion of the metal pipe as it heats up...

i just thought that if the inside pipe expanded, the outside one would expand close to the same amount??? and that would keep it equal....

I did start the bike up, and i did not hear any significant sounds of a leak at the end of the header area....after it getting a little bit hot, it seemed to be a little bit tighter (why, i don't know)....
Heat makes metal expand. Sometimes more than you think. That's why a steam header in plants have a U in the pipe every so often to allow expansion of the metal pipe as it heats up...

I agree with some of the earlier notes. I have 2 bros cans on my bike, but with Dale Walker headers rather than stock head pipes/cats. I have a bit of movement too. I can't pull them in and out, but I can rotate the cans a bit.

The clamps aren't supporting anything, there is not enough back pressure to cause any leaks to speak of and I think you'll be just fine.

If it does bother you, here's two fix ideas for you.

1. Pull the cans apart and cut a soda can in strips to wrap around the head pile. You may need just one layer... you may need two. Tape it tight with a bit of masking tape (it'll justs burn away in time) and slip the can over the header. This extra material between the two will give you a bit more clamp force and will be completely hidden between the two pipes.

2. Same idea, just different material. Most auto parts stores carry a muffler patch kit, or hole repair kit. Within that kit, you will most times find a roll of fiberglass tape. It's thin, won't burn, and will also add some "meat" between the two pieces of pipe to give you a bit more clamp force so that you don't get that movement.

Either will probably work equally well. It's probably just a matter of which is easier to install. Enjoy, good luck, and I hope I helped.

Additional note: If anyone is curious how I connected 2 bros pipes to Dale Walker headers, congratulations, nothing gets by you. Dale Walker headers are larger at the outlet and designed to omit the original stock gaskets. 2 bros. pipes are smaller than stock to fit the stock headers without the original gaskets. So, how do you get these two to fit you ask.... A 3 inch long stainless steel band clamp from Summit Racing goes over the joint and clamps both pipes together.

Yes, heat does expand things, amazing science stuff here. Your header will get hotter then the sleeve or can slipped over it so it should expand at a different rate and possibly fill the void.

I don't recall my if my cans came backwards, I would guess as easy as they rotated it would be a yes. My clamps do seem to clamp down well enough thouh and I have no leaks. I would just let it go and enjoy. If you notice soot building up around it you may try some of the other posts for tightening or filling that up.

One side of mine moved a bit, but after riding it for awhile, there's no movement at all. Ride and enjoy! They sound awesome IMHO!

Thank you everyone for all your help!!!! It seems that after my last two rides, it seems to be nice and tight now...the miracle of heat and science...thank you again, you were all very helpful....Now to put some miles on these pipes...they sound great...I especially like the gurgle sound when decelerating and down shifting.... :yahoo:

Robert

One side of mine moved a bit, but after riding it for awhile, there's no movement at all. Ride and enjoy! They sound awesome IMHO!