Two stupid questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayshaw91

Reaction score
... but how do I get the mirrors to fold in? Just pull? They don't seem to want to move. Also, any tips on getting the bike on the center stand? When I try the center stand seems to want to slide on my driveway.

Laugh away... laugh away...

:ph34r:

... but how do I get the mirrors to fold in? Just pull? They don't seem to want to move. Also, any tips on getting the bike on the center stand? When I try the center stand seems to want to slide on my driveway.

The mirrors on my '04 are tight, but yes, you just PULL inwards. As for the center stand...its mostly in the legs. Stand facing the bike, with just a few degrees toward the back...grab hold of the handlebar with your left hand, grab the grab handle with your right hand, foot on the stand....step down till the stand touches the ground, then stand the bike straight up. When the bike is straight up, centered, and you are still facing the bike with a slightly rearward angle, stand up fully on the center stand, using your arms only to keep the bike standing straight up. Dont be afraid to really STAND up on the center stand, its your weight that will transfer the bike up. Hope this helps.

Jay

'04 FJT 1300

The mirrors do fold you just have to push at the right angle. I've replaced mine with FZ1 mirrors, they fold great! Try pushing the mirrors towards the windshield and they should go. The relatively short arm length means you gotta give them a pretty good shove - once you find the right direction to push, you won't have any problems.

Face the bike - right hand in the hole made for this task underneath just in front of the sidebag mount - right foot on centerstand tang (make sure the bike is square on both centerstand feet - left hand on left bar grip - with an oohhrah step down with your right foot and guide the bike up and back. When you do it right you're not manhandling it with your arms, pushing down with your right foot does the job. Once you learn this it really is pretty easy. Good luck!

On the sliding - I have to be real careful too. When you get good at this it is pretty easy to step/lift quickly and get a good head of steam so that when it pops on the centerstand it slides a couple of inches. I park Maxine between our cars in the garage and have whacked her against the dividing verticle wall a couple of times! Just have to find the right amount of force to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay, the '06 is a little different than the previous models, but yeah, just push 'em, they'll go. They fold pretty flat to the bike if you fold them forward. Folding rearward, they don't go quite as far.

I have a tough time with the center stand, too. Mostly because it wants to teeter. Just press your foot down and pull up on the hand hold or the handle and center up the bike. From there, I usually have to really stand on the thing to get the bike up. And I weigh 200 pounds. It takes a good hard pull and I'm usually off the ground with all my weight on the stand. Just make sure it's centered and stablized first. Once you do it a few times, it gets pretty easy.

Not laughing at all. BTDT. Best to be safe and ask, rather than break something.

And yes, this is all for an '06... sorry for the lack of clarification.

The mirrors I guess I'll just have to risk breaking, I guess, and give them a push.

As far as the center stand goes, how exactly do I position the bike? I'm having a hard time visualizing. Can you do it from off of the side stand, or do I have to get this guy sorta perpendicular and then do it? I assume the perpendicular thing is necessary.

I guess the first few times I'll have the SO on the right side of the bike as a bit of a guide/saftey net.

What would be cool: if you could somehow put it in reverse, push on the stand, and let the engine back the bike on to the stand.

The mirrors I guess I'll just have to risk breaking, I guess, and give them a push.

As far as the center stand goes, how exactly do I position the bike? I'm having a hard time visualizing. Can you do it from off of the side stand, or do I have to get this guy sorta perpendicular and then do it? I assume the perpendicular thing is necessary.

I guess the first few times I'll have the SO on the right side of the bike as a bit of a guide/saftey net.

What would be cool: if you could somehow put it in reverse, push on the stand, and let the engine back the bike on to the stand.
Just manhandle the damn thing, you don't have to treat it like it's your pecker! Apoligies if you're a girl. In that case, just manhandle the damn thing!

Jayshaw®, to clarify further...leave the bike on the side stand. Get off bike. Stand on left side of bike, facing bike. Place your left hand on the left hand grip. Reach down with your right hand and grab hold of the grab handle by the left side saddle bag. Place your right foot on the center stand and bring it down to the ground. Now, "lift" the bike off of the side stand, so that its standing straight up, with your right foot still firmly on the center stand, and the center stand now firmly centered and touching the ground. Slightly twist your body to the right, or the rear, and then when ready, step with all your weight onto the center stand and pull with your left hand towards the rear, and pull with your right hand UPWARDS and REARWARD. The combination of putting all your weight on your right foot onto the center stand and the pullling of up and back with your hands will easily get the bike up and back onto the stand. The reason I like facing slightly towards the rear of the bike is because your body will naturally move rearward when you step fully onto the center stand, making the bike move up and back more easily.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Also, any tips on getting the bike on the center stand? When I try the center stand seems to want to slide on my driveway.
It's best to get together with a local owner who has experience and get a demo. It's mostly in the foot down-pressure. You would be heavily admired if you could put it up on the centerstand while barefoot.

You would be heavily admired if you could put it up on the centerstand while barefoot.

Is that how you came up with "toecutter"? :D

Or just put an electric motor on the stand and let it do all the work.

Yes, have someone spot you. If you and the bike start to go, though, your wife better be WWF material. That bike is a beast, weight-wise.. then add you too!

SouthCruz gave a good rendition. Left hand on the grip, right hand on hand hold (or handle just for lifting the bike if you have the smuggler). I don't have the side stand down when I center up the bike.

Now, with your left foot push down on the center stand. With your right hand, GENTLY move the bike side to side to feel if BOTH centerstand feet are squarely on the ground. The bike will feel stopped from rocking. NOW SHOVE DOWN and pull up with authority. Do it smoothly, progressively. Try to make your movements straight up and down., don't pull or push the bike sideways.

Really, it's easy once you've done it.

Tell you what, the recommendation about a demo is a good idea. You might want to head back to a dealer and have them show you. That way, there would be a mechanic there to spot you when you bring up the bike.

Yes, the mirrors take a bit of force. I'm afraid that if I need them to "break away", they''ll actually break away because of how much force it takes to move them. On the other hand, remember, those things have to stay put up over 150 mph!!!

The centerstand is all about leverage. The guys are right-find someone at the bike shop that knows how to do it and watch. I taught my 140lb friend how do it :) I put mine up every time I park. I do not trust the sidestand

Well, I don't trust my parking lot at work and the sidestand. I came out of work Monday to find my less than two week old FJR at about a 15 deg pitch further to the left than I am accustomed to seeing. I just about shit my pants. I didn't know if the side stand was broken after the bike fell over or what. Turns out the side stand was over three inches deep in to the pavement with zero damage to anyting, thankfully.

Yes, I know, get a plate for the sidestand. Lesson learned... and almost the very hard and ugly way.

But now we're off topic. I'll just get someone to show me how to get that bad boy on the center stand.

Turns out the side stand was over three inches deep in to the pavement with zero damage to anyting, thankfully.
You parking somewhere close to here? ;) crap... something in my eye again...

california-la-brea-tar-pits.jpg

I actually find it easier to use the side rail on the tail rack than the lift handle/pocket. I just stand the bike up straight, step down on the centerstand untill it makes contact with the ground on both sides of the stand, grab the side rail and lift gently while standing my weight on the centerstand, and the thing comes up real easy. I just seem to have better leverage that way. or, maybe I'm just tooooo fat.

Put your right hand in,

Put your right hand out,

Put your right hand in

and you shake it all about...

Seriously, the best advise is to make sure the bike is LEVEL, not tilted toward the side stand. Then you'll be amazed how easy it "pops-up" on the center stand when you stand on it!

Well, mission accomplished on the center stand dealie-o! And yes, I'm sure the big deal wasn't that I had it level enough. Once I noticed what level was (well beyond what I THOUGHT it was!), it was fairly easy.

Thanks, all! Off to change the oil!

Oh, and Groo, the parking lot where I work sure seems to feel like that in the summer.

If you are parking on an asphalt parking lot you might want to consider NOT using the center stand. It will sink even worse than the side stand since there is more weight on it. With the side stand most of the weight is still on the tires where almost all of the weight of the bike is on the center stand when it is up in the air. The center stand will also tip the bike over much easier if one leg of the center stand sinks just a little since all the bike is on two narrow feet. The side stand is very stable and the way to go on asphalt. Just leave it in gear so that it cannot roll and use a plate under the side stand. Trust me....the center stand will sink just as badly into asphalt and let the bike tip over much easier since one foot of the center stand is just a simple square and the other side has the lift bar that adds "floatation" to the left side. The square foot will sink faster and further and tip the bike over to the right. Don't use the center stand on asphalt. No details of how I know so much about this.....