U.S.C.G. Cape Disappointment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer Reamer

Death Before Disco
Reaction score
My son recently joined the Coast Guard and was pleased to get his requested duty station, Coast Guard Station Cape Disappointment. Cape D is found at the most Southwest tip of Washington near a town called Ilwaco and just across the Columbia River from Oregon. The United States Coast Guard station at Cape Disappointment is renowned for operating in some of the roughest sea conditions in the world and is also home to the National Motor Lifeboat School. It is the only school for rough weather and surf rescue operation in the United States and is respected internationally as a center of excellence for heavy boat operations. Those stationed there patrol a large section of the Graveyard of the Pacific and specifically the Columbia Bar.

My son is attached to the patrol and rescue unit, my wife and I decided to enjoy the rare gorgeous weather to take a trip down to see the base and what our son will be doing, of course we took the FJR.

I took very few pictures underway since I haven't found an easy way to conveniently use the SLR. Here we stopped to stretch our legs at South Bend, oyster capital of the world.

IMG_0551a.jpg

One of the first things you see rolling into Cape D is this old school rescue boat

IMG_0553a.jpg

A good bit of the station can be seen here including the chow hall and barracks

IMG_0557a.jpg

These boats are attached to the National Motor Lifeboat School.

These are the boats that right themselves if they go over - a bad thing to have happen as seen here:

IMG_0561a.jpg

My son at his new duty station, still just a noob :yahoo: (Note a V-Strom in the reflection)

IMG_0578a.jpg

He has been working here the past month or so taking the distress calls and coordinating rescue. He will do this until he is fully qual'ed on the boats and their patrol area.

IMG_0552a.jpg

My son is assigned to these boats, one self righting and one still being used since the 60's

IMG_0563a.jpg

IMG_0565a.jpg

IMG_0567a.jpg

Lighthouse at Cape D

IMG_0582a.jpg

View of the Columbia as it just enters the Pacific on an unusually "flat" day. Oregon in the background

IMG_0580a.jpg

Some scenery

IMG_0571a.jpg

Some culture

IMG_0587a.jpg

And a needed butt break on the way back home. Can't wait to try the seats Kirrilian is sending my way

IMG_0591a.jpg

OK, I know there was only two bike pics, but you've seen an FJR before. 350 miles round trip of incredible weather and scenery. Even the pack of 100 or so Hardleys didn't dampen our spirits, once we finally got past them. Did see one Harley go down later in the trip but he wasn't hurt.

My first ride report, I tried to incorporate pics, links, clickys, and a smiley face just to have the full experience. Preview Post is the shnizzle.

Beautiful pictures.

Thank your son for his service. I have always been impressed with the Coast Guard; they seem too frequently to be unrecognized heros.

Thanks for the report!

:clapping:

+1

The CG are seldom recognized, but sorely needed. Thank your son for his service for me.

And be proud that your son is one of the good kids doing the right thing!

Speaking from first hand experience,

When things get way out of hand on the water nothing looks better than the USCG arriving on the scene. :good:

Give him our deep respect.

Thanks

Great report and photos.

You should be proud to have such a squared away kid. Coasties are the best.

B)

Congrats to your son and you! And thanks for his service.

My Uncle was a career Coast Guard's man and went through the school at Cape (and might have taught there too) many years ago. As a kid, he took me out several times out of Coos Bay.

Beanmer, a luck day for you and the wife to get such a great day riding. Your son has some of the tuffest waters to gaurd! As a life time NW resident and as a man who has been across every one of these Bars either sailing or fishing your son has my fullest respect.

Looking forward to seeing the both of you on the ride to CFR.

I am currently in the USCG. I was stationed in Coos bay Oregon from 2003-2007. Been to cape disapointment many time. There is some beautiful scenery up there. I am nw stuck in Mobile Alabama, Flat and boring. Wish I was back in Oregon. I am an Aviator,not a boat guy, but we have advanced rescue swimmer school in Astoria Oregon ( cape disapointment) and I am trying to scrounge a motorcycle trip back ther for the next class in November. Thanks for the pics. Looks like it was a good time

I am currently in the USCG. I was stationed in Coos bay Oregon from 2003-2007. Been to cape disapointment many time. There is some beautiful scenery up there. I am nw stuck in Mobile Alabama, Flat and boring. Wish I was back in Oregon. I am an Aviator,not a boat guy, but we have advanced rescue swimmer school in Astoria Oregon ( cape disapointment) and I am trying to scrounge a motorcycle trip back ther for the next class in November. Thanks for the pics. Looks like it was a good time

Good to hear from you. David was really leaning towards the aviation side of things, especially the rescue swimmer program, but a little daunted with the waiting list for the schools. I think he is still pondering his choices. He had the Coos Bay station as his backup, that is a great area as well. Let me know if your making a trip out here on the bike, though November can be dicey.

Beautiful photos.Our own Dr. Rich is retired Coast Guard.

I thought of him when I read Cape Disappointment. :D

Thanks.
Congratulations on your son getting into the most difficult of services. Most folks don't know that it is not part of the Department of Defense but rather Homeland Security. I will date myself and tell you that I joined about the time the Coast Guard was still under the Department of Treasury. Retired after 27 years of active and reserve.

Your pictures are beautiful and the station has not changed much over the years. I had a few friends that went though the heavy weather school there and got certified. Great experience.

Your report brought back some very fond memories. As for Old Micheal, he would have joined the Coast Guard, but he could not swim, was color blind, was the son of an Irish coal miner and the list goes on and on. Rich

Beautiful photos.Our own Dr. Rich is retired Coast Guard.

I thought of him when I read Cape Disappointment. :D

Thanks.
Congratulations on your son getting into the most difficult of services. Most folks don't know that it is not part of the Department of Defense but rather Homeland Security. I will date myself and tell you that I joined about the time the Coast Guard was still under the Department of Treasury. Retired after 27 years of active and reserve.

Your pictures are beautiful and the station has not changed much over the years. I had a few friends that went though the heavy weather school there and got certified. Great experience.

Your report brought back some very fond memories. As for Old Micheal, he would have joined the Coast Guard, but he could not swim, was color blind, was the son of an Irish coal miner and the list goes on and on. Rich

Rich,

Being an ex-Flight Deck guy from the Navy, I give him a rash as you might expect. But I took a walk through their buildings and saw some of the their pictures and was impressed with what they do and the water they have to do it in. Still give him a hard time though, but maybe not quite as much.

Congrats on the long career!! The Coast Guard does fall under Home Land Security. I've learned recently that the CG was one of the few silver linings in the Katrina disaster. Did their jobs efficiently as only professionals with your kind of training can accomplish, they were credited with evacuating over 33,000 folks. Pretty impressive article found here Clicky. Even more congratulations on your retirement. I keep counting the years, but they are still well in to the double digits.

Several Coasties or ex-Coasties have posted up, it was great to hear from all of you.