UE 700s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
I have been using the ER6i ear buds from Etymotic Research and they worked great for about two years. Now one of the buds does not work and I think it is related to a broken ear cord.

I saw these units on another M/C website:

700_1.jpg

https://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/700#description

Anybody have any experience with these units? They are more spendy than the ER6i units. But seem to be a better quality ear bud. My main concern is making sure the actual unit that sits just outside the canal is small enough to not cause any ear abrasion/rubbing/pain on the outer ear structure.

Thanks

Scott

https://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/700#description

Anybody have any experience with these units? They are more spendy than the ER6i units. But seem to be a better quality ear bud. My main concern is making sure the actual unit that sits just outside the canal is small enough to not cause any ear abrasion/rubbing/pain on the outer ear structure.

Thanks

Scott
Scott -

For just a few bucks more, you could have a pair of custom molded units which are the ultimate in comfort with excellent audio accuracy and durability. Bob Weis at the Earplug Company made my set a number of years ago and they are outstanding - no discomfort at all, even worn for 20 hours at a stretch. For $171 delivered, they're a terrific deal.

For just a few bucks more, you could have a pair of custom molded units which are the ultimate in comfort with excellent audio accuracy and durability. Bob Weis at the Earplug Company made my set a number of years ago and they are outstanding - no discomfort at all, even worn for 20 hours at a stretch. For $171 delivered, they're a terrific deal.
+1. Used one pair for about 6 years. One transducer quit working a couple of years ago and Bob fixed it for free. I can't guarantee he'd do for anyone; they were way out of warranty at the time. I've been very satisfied.

I've been through a couple iterations of the Challengers, and so has my friends and my wife. All purchased through here: https://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/

The first pair were great - fit, sounds, comfort. Two years later one side quit, so ordered a new pair, and a pair for my wife. But this time around we were unable to get a good fit. Wife went through three fittings before she decided she had enough and can only use them in non-noisy environments. I went through five fittings until it was "good enough" if I jammed them deep enough. Two years later one side quit working, and this time I didn't buy another pair (now using ER6i's with Sebotek tips). Buddy has been using his for about five years, but is reporting that one side drops out once in a while.

Getting good impressions is important. We've had mixed results from the DIY kits, better results from audiologist impressions. However, even with good impressions, there is some handiwork done by the folks who make the Challengers. They make molds from the impressions and perform some trimming and adjustments on them before they make the plugs from the molds. The quality of this handiwork is crucial to a good fit, and based on my experiences, I'm not convinced that Challenger has the right people to do this work. This was four years ago ... I hope they've solved this problem. I know I won't be buying another set until I hear from more people that they fit better and last more than a couple years.