uh... that saddle seems really low

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric L

Not that kind of a doctor
Reaction score
New to me, a Corbin on the 2009. I started out riding this bike with the seat in the low position. I came from a GS500 and I just felt safer with the seat low. But the FJ seat was just so uncomfortable. I raised the stock seat, and that made my legs feel better where they hit the seat but still, after 200 miles, my butt hurt. I dont find the corbin too hard, but damn the thing is low. I cant believe any tall guy could ride like this - I feel like I am er... squatting. I only have a 30 inch inseam. What gives? Do tall guys use these saddles? Is there ANY WAY to raise the seat???

Yes, I did try the Russell. It was very nice, just not in the budget until next winter.

New to me, a Corbin on the 2009. I started out riding this bike with the seat in the low position. I came from a GS500 and I just felt safer with the seat low. But the FJ seat was just so uncomfortable. I raised the stock seat, and that made my legs feel better where they hit the seat but still, after 200 miles, my butt hurt. I dont find the corbin too hard, but damn the thing is low. I cant believe any tall guy could ride like this - I feel like I am er... squatting. I only have a 30 inch inseam. What gives? Do tall guys use these saddles? Is there ANY WAY to raise the seat???

Yes, I did try the Russell. It was very nice, just not in the budget until next winter.
Lots of pizza, beer and a sedentary lifestyle will slowly raise your seat height - actually lowers your a** to the seat.

ha ha ha ... :rolleyes:

I guess I should ride it for a few thousand miles and then see if it becomes 'normal' or otherwise find a short FJR owner who wants to touch the ground with his/her toes.

Yea, the Corbin does lower it quite a bit; however, with the wider pan, it pushes your legs out more, so shorter folks would likely still be tip-toeing at a stop light. I'm 5' 11" and can flat foot it...just (I have an Alaskan Butt Pad on mine plus the bike's was lowered 1" by the PO). It's comfortable though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, the Corbin does lower it quite a bit; however, with the wider pan, it pushes your legs out more, so shorter folks would likely still be tip-toeing at a stop light. I'm 5' 11" and can flat foot it...just (I have an Alaskan Butt Pad on mine plus the bike's was lowered 1" by the PO). It's comfortable though.
What seems to be odd to me is the severity of the bend in my knees to get my feet on the pegs. Come to think of it, I see what you mean about the pushing my legs out more too.

Eh, I'll give it a few thousand K.

Is there ANY WAY to raise the seat???

You could try sitting on one of the better seat pads, either an Alaska Leather or AirHawk II come pretty highly regarded. My personal experience with the 3 different corbins for the FJR is that, even though they do help spread the load out further across your butt, they are too hard and eventually cut-off the circulation causing pain.

So maybe you can kill two birds with one butt pad?

Take it to an upholstery shop and have them add some foam and put the cover back on. It will be taller and softer. Probably won't cost much either.

I have a 31 inch inseam and LOVE my Corbin seat. The 28 deal here is everyone's ass is different. You can add some highway pegs as it seams the problem is your legs and not you butt.

KM

I hated the stock seat as well. Ive had a corbin saddle for 30,000 miles. Im six feet tall and I've never had an issue with the height. My problem is that seat is formed to where Im sliding forward into the gas tank and my nads get all bunched up. Its still more pleasant than the stocker on long rides.

I hated the stock seat as well. Ive had a corbin saddle for 30,000 miles. Im six feet tall and I've never had an issue with the height. My problem is that seat is formed to where Im sliding forward into the gas tank and my nads get all bunched up. Its still more pleasant than the stocker on long rides.
that's good to hear. I think what's gone on with me is that I had the seat raised high to try to help with my discomfort. It may just be a matter of getting used to a low seat. I do have some issues with my old knees trying to get the balls of my feet on the pegs.