Ulytra Little Batteries

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I have heard they are only for racebikes...Would they work in an FJR? Would accessories be a drain on the whole system?
These batteries are indeed for race bikes where they need just enough oomph to start the bike. The ratings for one of these batteries is just a tiny bit low for the FJR but might work. One is rated at 120 CCA and the FJR battery has a 135 CCA spec. Once the motorcycle is started it runs off of the charging system and not the battery, so once started the battery only comes into play when farkles draw more current than the charging system can supply.

Their technology is the same as the Shorai battery and Shorai does offer a battery suitable for the FJR, and it comes at just about the same weight as the SYCL Battery. For a matter of a few ounces, IMO, it would be better to go with a battery that is intended for a street bike. The Shorai battery was discussed HERE and HERE recently.

Because they are so small and the FJR battery box is so large you could use two of them in parallel (both battery + to bike +, both battery - to bike -) to provide you the additional reserve power.

Buy some car stero 8 gauge power wire (can be had in many colors such as red and black) and solder or crimp on a ring terminal (or what ever terminal style you'd like). Put the bike's + on battery 1's + and also attach 1 end of the 8awg to that terminal. Attach the other end of the 8awg to the + of the other battery. Attach the bike's - to battery 1's -. Also attach another 8awg to batter 1's terminal and the other end of that 8awg to battery 2's -.

Parallel.jpg

David

It's true that putting the batteries in parallel will double the current while the voltage remains the same. It is also true that the Ulytra batteries are made from general purpose Li FE Phosphorus cells which are held together with just shrink sleeving. You can use this battery, but these are not a robust road-going, everyday automotive/motorcycle grade battery. While this collection of battery cells can be pressed into service on a motorcycle, IMO you would be much better served by purchasing a true street battery like the ones from Shorai. By the time you have pruchased two $199 batteries to equal a bit over 13 AH, it is not cost effective, and you end up with a collection of cells that can't deliver power the same way as a true motorcycle battery with properly bonded cell bridges. Cell bonding for high current bursts is one way in which various battery designs do actually differ in a meaningful way.

Edited to add: Nice drawing, great to illustrate what you are describing. Good post! More!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom, sometimes I swear your psycho psychic.

I was just about to do a search on batteries and you post this.

My battery was getting tired by the end of the trip in Sept and even my dealer mentioned it seemed sluggish after being on the battery tender since Nov. So I'm in the market. I actually might go with another 'Champion' battery that I put in it when I bought the bike. Hey $80 and it lasted 3 years. Can't argue the economics.

I know everybody recommends the WestCo, but I doubt highly they'll ship a 'hazardous' package to the land of ice 'n snow. I was toying with the idea of ordering one and nursing the existing battery until the May camping run and swapping the battery down there. As it sits, I highly doubt I'll get enough time off to do that run though (Hum.. early season 1 shot down, 1 shot back run!!)

So whats say you frostbacks, what do you recommend, or are running thats available here?

I went with the Motobatt AGM battery. According to my research, if you are buying an aftermarket AGM battery this is THE brand to get - it outlasted everything in exhaustive side-by-side testing. The one to get is the MBT14B4 - some sites are recommending the 12 AH battery, but the 14 is the one recommended in Motobatt's fitment chart and is a perfect fit.

With a two year exchange warranty, the manufacturer is backing this better than the Shorai!!

I got mine from Amazon in January. It cost me all of $73.xx shipped to the border. I drive across regularly to partake in inexpensive milk, eggs, poultry, meats and gas to name but a subset of my regular shopping list. I also buy the occasional set of car tires down there - bike tires come from Pete's Superbike - and he happens to be located about 10 minutes west of me on the TRans Canada!!

Bungie; I do realise that the border is a somewhat longer drive for you than for me, but these are not liquid-filled cella, so they ought to be shippable.