Uneffingbelievable!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been riding for around 40 years, and also never had a bike fall off the sidestand while on an incline. Seems that the FJR has a habit of doing that from the comments on the forum. This is the first bike that I have gotten into the habit of ALWAYS leaving it in first when using the side stand. Why haven't bike mfgs designed a sidestand like some Harleys have? When you put weight on the stand, it locks it in place so that it cannot fold up on itself. That way, if the bike got bumped from behind while parked, it would have the chance to roll ahead and slide on the sidestand, minimizing the damage, instead of falling over. Maybe some of our more talented forum members could come up with an idea :rolleyes:
Okay.....buy Harleys!

Or learn how to fookin' park the pig. Sheesh! Gotta esplain it for ya! :****:

Last edited by a moderator:
Harley's design truly is better. Fool proof enough even FJR pilots can do it correctly! :unsure:

Yeah but if you've owned a Harley you know that they always give you that heart attack as they roll forward to engage that lock. I don't care how many times it did that to me I still sh!% a brick everytime.

Well I found out yesterday that no matter how much care you take in parking the bike shit happens. Just got done cleaning the bike and rolled it off the center stand and lost it. Stood helplessly watching it crash onto the right side. I have played it over in my mind to figure out what the hell I did wrong. I just don't know. I have done this countless times. I will never do it again off the bike. Thankfully, I hadn't put the side cases back on. The mirror took the most punishment and the slider saved major damage. I just have minor edge scratches on the faring. The mirror folded up, so it didn't even bend anything. So my cherry is no longer cherry. Where is that drop club icon?

Upon reflection, I believe I also failed to turn the handlebars in either direction. Leaving the front wheel in the straight ahead position probably exacerbated the situation.

The centerstand is there for folks that do not know how to use a sidestand. (Seems like there are quite a few of them out there.) ;)

KM
UNLESS you park on new asphalt where one leg sinks in and she goes over that way. Came within seconds of that fun a few years back. Cement is our friend in hot weather.

Just got done cleaning the bike and rolled it off the center stand and lost it. Stood helplessly watching it crash onto the right side.
Intech, this isn't aimed at you, so please, take no offense, but how does ANYBODY think it's a good idea to take the bike down off the centerstand without getting on the bike and rocking it down? That way, you're astride the bike, holding it vertical, and it's not getting away from you?

I just can't fathom getting it off the centerstand without being over the bike with both legs on either side!

Same way I dropped mine. Stopped to check my directions and get something to drink, put the kick stand down and as I was swinging my leg over to dismount, it rolled an inch or so and came over on me. You don't realize how heavy the FJR is until it starts to fall on you and you try your best to catch it. Once it goes a few degrees, it's gone! My Yamaha shop gave me an estimate, including parts & labor of $1850.00. This included replacing left saddlebag, cowling, mirror, stater cover w/gasket.

Same way I dropped mine. Stopped to check my directions and get something to drink, put the kick stand down and as I was swinging my leg over to dismount, it rolled an inch or so and came over on me. You don't realize how heavy the FJR is until it starts to fall on you and you try your best to catch it. Once it goes a few degrees, it's gone! My Yamaha shop gave me an estimate, including parts & labor of $1850.00. This included replacing left saddlebag, cowling, mirror, stater cover w/gasket.

Fek! That's an expensive mistake, I broke our glass top stove two days ago and I thought that was bad. Thanks for making me feel better about that

Well I found out yesterday that no matter how much care you take in parking the bike shit happens. Just got done cleaning the bike and rolled it off the center stand and lost it. Stood helplessly watching it crash onto the right side. I have played it over in my mind to figure out what the hell I did wrong. I just don't know. I have done this countless times. I will never do it again off the bike. Thankfully, I hadn't put the side cases back on. The mirror took the most punishment and the slider saved major damage. I just have minor edge scratches on the faring. The mirror folded up, so it didn't even bend anything. So my cherry is no longer cherry. Where is that drop club icon?
Rules for parking Feejers:

Never take the bike off the center stand unless you ass is planted in the seat.

Never put it up unless your off the bike.

Always park bike in gear when leaving it on the center stand (unless in a totally flat garage)

Always deploy center stand before getting off your bike (duh!).

Always park bike in gear when leaving it on the center stand (unless in a totally flat garage)

You have two contradictory statements. Me thinks you meant to write, "Always deploy SIDESTAND before getting off of your bike (duh!).

Bill

Fred's drinking again.....I'm sure he meant to say

Always park bike in gear when leaving it on the center SIDE stand (unless in a totally flat garage)

Always deploy center SIDE stand before getting off your bike (duh!)

yes, yes... That is what I meant to say. And now that you bastids quoted me I can't go back and edit my post and play innocent.

(PS - haven't started drinking yet, Howie. Just careless posting.)

...Never take the bike off the center stand unless you ass is planted in the seat.

Never put it up unless you're off the bike.

Unfortunately for we short-a$$es :( , some of us can't get the leverage to get it off the centre-stand when sitting on the bike.

My tip of the week (not tip-over of the week) is to stand beside the bike on the left side, bike out of gear, point the steering slightly towards the right (perhaps one or two inches at the bar end), both hands on handlebars, then push/rock the bike as gently as you can off the stand. That slight steering will ensure the bike will tend to lean towards you as it comes off, easier to hold up than away from you. Then gently apply the front brake to ease it to a stop. Now you can put it onto the sidestand (with all the safe-guards about checks, in gear, rock it forward etc).

I weigh about 145 pounds, and am not the strongest gorilla in the zoo :no2: ; I have no trouble doing this. Or getting it up for that matter (but we won't mention that 'cos it's NEPRT material).

Just got done cleaning the bike and rolled it off the center stand and lost it. Stood helplessly watching it crash onto the right side.
Intech, this isn't aimed at you, so please, take no offense, but how does ANYBODY think it's a good idea to take the bike down off the centerstand without getting on the bike and rocking it down? That way, you're astride the bike, holding it vertical, and it's not getting away from you?

I just can't fathom getting it off the centerstand without being over the bike with both legs on either side!
No offense taken Howie. I will never take it off the center stand again unless I am on it. Still don't know what I did wrong. I have done it a hundred times with this bike. Many more with others. Y'all talk about how chicks dig scars, well that doesn't matter. I look at the bike and it still makes me sick! Time will heal the wound, though.

Well, the insurance adjuster just left and calculated a $1700 claim for left side flop originally reported in this thread. Note: DJB's spot-on prediction about the bent stay to which the mirror is attached is NOT included in the estimate. The adjuster said he couldn't specify a cost for the stay at this time and needed the mechanic to determine if it could be straightened. If not, the technician was to notify him and the claim would be adjusted to compensate for the concealed damage as well as the additional labor.

The biggest ticket item so far is the muffler which came in at $800. The side cases were not installed at the time. He pointed out that the slider substantially reduced the claim cost since the fairings were not affected (save a few minor nicks) which I told him to forget about. Subsequently, he gave me a $100 credit against my deductible.

Let the wise be forewarned about following the advise posted by the good contributors to this thread. The FJR does not have a detente to lock the side-stand in position when extended. The bike will move forward on an incline and will fold the side-stand back. Ergo, grief.

A flop is an expensive proposition. Actually, the adjuster told me I had no idea of the number of bikes he totaled as the result of a claim such as mine.

It might be worth while to construct a condensed sticky of the advice posted here, but I am reluctant to issue work assignments in my retired state.

...Never take the bike off the center stand unless you ass is planted in the seat.

Never put it up unless you're off the bike.

Unfortunately for we short-a$$es :( , some of us can't get the leverage to get it off the centre-stand when sitting on the bike.

My tip of the week (not tip-over of the week) is to stand beside the bike on the left side, bike out of gear, point the steering slightly towards the right (perhaps one or two inches at the bar end), both hands on handlebars, then push/rock the bike as gently as you can off the stand. That slight steering will ensure the bike will tend to lean towards you as it comes off, easier to hold up than away from you. Then gently apply the front brake to ease it to a stop. Now you can put it onto the sidestand (with all the safe-guards about checks, in gear, rock it forward etc).

I weigh about 145 pounds, and am not the strongest gorilla in the zoo :no2: ; I have no trouble doing this. Or getting it up for that matter (but we won't mention that 'cos it's NEPRT material).
+1 I too am inseam challenged with a GP/Penske suspension fitted front and rear and there's no way I could ever get the bike off the center stand while sitting on it (without a push from Ms. BD). I use the exact same technique as Mcatrophy, turning the front wheel slightly to the right so the bike comes down slightly to the left. I also park it, in gear, on the side stand before I try to hoist my leg over (both for getting on and off).

Christ, I sound like an old fart

Well, the insurance adjuster just left and calculated a $1700 claim for left side flop originally reported in this thread. Note: DJB's spot-on prediction about the bent stay to which the mirror is attached is NOT included in the estimate. The adjuster said he couldn't specify a cost for the stay at this time and needed the mechanic to determine if it could be straightened. If not, the technician was to notify him and the claim would be adjusted to compensate for the concealed damage as well as the additional labor.
The biggest ticket item so far is the muffler which came in at $800. The side cases were not installed at the time. He pointed out that the slider substantially reduced the claim cost since the fairings were not affected (save a few minor nicks) which I told him to forget about. Subsequently, he gave me a $100 credit against my deductible.

Let the wise be forewarned about following the advise posted by the good contributors to this thread. The FJR does not have a detente to lock the side-stand in position when extended. The bike will move forward on an incline and will fold the side-stand back. Ergo, grief.

A flop is an expensive proposition. Actually, the adjuster told me I had no idea of the number of bikes he totaled as the result of a claim such as mine.

It might be worth while to construct a condensed sticky of the advice posted here, but I am reluctant to issue work assignments in my retired state.
Whoi is your insurance with? I have sliders as well, but mine broke! I think it still greatly reduced the damage, but I think the faring nicks that I have are a little more than "minor" The mirror really looks like shit. I actually think it was the passenger peg that saved my muffler. There are minor scratches on it that I can definitely live with. The slider is the thing that really bothers me though. If it will break in a driveway tip over I can't imagine that it would be worth anything at speed. My side cases were off too. I hate to think what would have happened to it.

Perhaps your fairing damage happened after your slider broke. I guess I was more, shall we say, fortunate(?).

The insurance company is Progressive. They issued me a check on the spot for the estimate less the deductible. Perhaps the level of service I enjoyed may be predicated on the fact I have had them for nine years as well as coverage for my boat, autos, and RV. But I would be quick to point out that the transaction is yet to be completed.

Latest posts