Unofficially Diagnosed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the same "valves backordered" message from Eastside Motosports in Bellevue, WA when they went though the diagnosis and Yamaha authorized the tick fix on my '05. It only has 8,000 miles on it and started ticking at 5,500. Been bikeless for almost 2 weeks now... :angry:
I called Gary Mc Coy and he said they were on nationwide backorder. Cypress customer service said March 10th, maybe a day or two sooner. Did you buy the bike new from them? Or ask about a loaner in the meantime?

ToeCutter-

Sorry to hear about your ticker. I listened to your bike at the Gathering of the Clan - Avila Beach and *thought* I heard something but it sure was slight. I've filed that sound deep in my cranium scareabellum. And to think 03SilverBullet's was much nosier!

Anyway - empathy to you. In the end it will rock though! At least the weather has been kind of snotty, and more rain is due.. OK, I'm drawing at straws to make you feel better but at least I tried.. :D

This too will pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
ToeCutter-Sorry to hear about your ticker. I listened to your bike at the Gathering of the Clan - Avila Beach and *thought* I heard something but it sure was slight. I've filed that sound deep in my cranium scareabellum. And to think 03SilverBullet's was much nosier!
As I recall, it was mostly just idling at the time. I didn't really know it myself until two weeks previous at the Lee Parks clinic in Anaheim, where I had several hours listening to four other FJR's, one of which had already been diagnosed. Mine made more noise than his. When Clarence at Wilson's ran it up to about 4500 it was really obvious, but that was about 4000 miles after you heard it.

Anyway - empathy to you. In the end it will rock though! At least the weather has been kind of snotty, and more rain is due.. OK, I'm drawing at straws to make you feel better but at least I tried.. :D
This too will pass.
Yes it will, the bike will run like a top once again, and I'll have a whole new appreciation for the privilege of riding! Thanks.

Well, today I went down there, planning to visualize the new stem seals to see if they were different from the old ones. I had been told that the exhaust valves were backordered until 3/10, so I was going to just visit my dismantled bike as well. When I got there, the service manager told me the valves had already showed up, so he shipped them and the head off to the machine shop. He also said they expect the repaired head back by Friday, and then it's just a matter of reassembling the bike. I'm thinkin' it might be ready by Friday the 17th! Which would actually be somewhat bittersweet, since I can't ride Saturday anyway.

The service manager also told me that he had heard nothing about redesigned seals. He thought they changed the guide material. He also said that Yamaha isn't sharing much information about the issue, strangely quiet for some reason. Hmmm...