Unsightly Welding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always get this junk put on-

25_1.JPG

available Here

I noticed the welds when I first got mine. They are pretty wide and do stand out. We would probably be paying more for the bike if we wanted a higher level of detail paid to things like that in the manufacturing process. I certainly would not cover them just for aesthetic reasons. I used to work in a factory which did a lot of welding and the aluminum welds were always wider and heavier looking than the steel or iron welds.

And of all the "I crashed it here's pics" threads, and all the damage evident, I have yet to see or hear of weld failures in that area of the frame. Works for me.

Stop it.

Those welds are not ugly. They are actually a very difficult weld to accomplish and only good welders can do them correctly. To cover them up is to cover up craftsmanship of the highest caliber.

Ugly welds are gouped up metal, nice welds are a series of round welds overlapping. The more even the overlapping, the more impressive it is amongst welders. So, be proud of the generally high quality of the Yamaha welds.

Stop it.
Those welds are not ugly. They are actually a very difficult weld to accomplish and only good welders can do them correctly. To cover them up is to cover up craftsmanship of the highest caliber.

Ugly welds are gouped up metal, nice welds are a series of round welds overlapping. The more even the overlapping, the more impressive it is amongst welders. So, be proud of the generally high quality of the Yamaha welds.
Yes, only the finest robot can produce welds like that.

Deffinitly a bad case of perosity in the welds in the photo. Sounds like a case of someone falling down on their job as in lack of inspection. Although normal riding would probablly never see weld failures in the frame but specks for these type of bikes demand better quality I'm sure. At least the problem was found and hopfully corrected. Painman. <>< :huh:

Deffinitly a bad case of perosity in the welds in the photo. Sounds like a case of someone falling down on their job as in lack of inspection. Although normal riding would probablly never see weld failures in the frame but specks for these type of bikes demand better quality I'm sure. At least the problem was found and hopfully corrected. Painman. <>< :huh:
I wouldn't jump to conclusions about this incident. On other forums, people have commented that the bike was wrecked into a race track wall when the frame failed. Further, some welding experts think the welds look fine and are likely full strength - our FJR's are probably no better.

- Mark

Stop it.

Yes, only the finest robot can produce welds like that.
LOL...I forgot about them contraptions! :D

when tig welding aluminum,you don,t sharpen your tungsten to a point thus spreading the heat out in a little wider area . If you could pinpoint the heat when welding alum. ,there is such a small range of heat from the time it puddles to the time it drops out the bottom that it would be nearly impossible to lay a little weld that looks like the row of nickels that you see on, say, a steel or chrome moly racing frame. I would bet that the only thing the little japanese welder is doing is setting stuff up in the jig and punching the start button on the auto welder

when tig welding aluminum,you don,t sharpen your tungsten to a point thus spreading the heat out in a little wider area . If you could pinpoint the heat when welding alum. ,there is such a small range of heat from the time it puddles to the time it drops out the bottom that it would be nearly impossible to lay a little weld that looks like the row of nickels that you see on, say, a steel or chrome moly racing frame. I would bet that the only thing the little japanese welder is doing is setting stuff up in the jig and punching the start button on the auto welder
You're probably right. What do the big Japanese welders do? :haha:

A very sharp individual told me, that Yamaha was known for very strong frames and thought that the exposed weld was, perhaps, a signature to that fact. Works for me!

Actually, it's only the '05's that have welds that are nice and smooth and even looking. The '03's and '04's were welded before Yamaha decided to invest in the special robotic welding fixture, thus their welds were made by undernourished Chinese slaves working 18 hour days with no welding goggles.

Just one more reason the blue bikes are better! :haha: :haha:

Actually, it's only the '05's that have welds that are nice and smooth and even looking. The '03's and '04's were welded before Yamaha decided to invest in the special robotic welding fixture, thus their welds were made by undernourished Chinese slaves working 18 hour days with no welding goggles.
Just one more reason the blue bikes are better! :haha: :haha:
You're as eat up with colors as a Goldwinger is with ice cream.

Structurally speaking, those are damn beautiful welds. They don't bother me in the least. If someone makes a mention of them, you just need to enlighten them as to why they are that way and why you wouldn't want them any different.

Stop it.

+1

Dirttracker30 is correct :p , the welds are done by machine :eek: ,... but are done to look man made so you as the consumer is given the illusion of a custom hand crafted bike B) ...So you can feel special <_< & you can ask any professional welder & they'll tell you it's a beautiful weld...happy now? :hyper: