Unusual Tire Wear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimnifnof

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy all. I recently replaced my Dunlop Roadsmart IVs with another set (my third). This set had just under 13,000 miles on this set. I was about to take a longer ride and didn't want to be looking for new tires in the middle of it as the center of the tire one was pretty much done. The front tire on this set had an odd wear pattern. The left side of the tire developed "bumps" on it. They can be clearly seen as the white ovals on the tire pic. It is a raised area with concrete dust from my garage floor and the black areas around them aren't even making ground contact. It looks like it is starting on the right side too. What would cause this? I run the tires 40/42, and no unusual wear on the rear. It's still a great tire, with almost no chicken strips on the back. :p I'm sticking with them again and hope this front was a one-off issue, but I wonder if there could be other causes that I may be doing to prevent it from happening again.

front (2).jpgrear (2).jpg

Apparently it's happened on Concours' also. Here's a pic of one with only 3,000 miles, much worse shape than mine. I've emailed Dunlop to get their thoughts on the matter. It's like the harder center tread is separating from the softer side tread.
Kawasaki Concours 3000 miles.jpeg

Scalloping. A not unusual occurrence in my experience. Some do, some don't. Who knows? Exacerbated my low pressure and braking while leaned over imho.

I'm pretty good at keeping my pressures at f40/r42, but will admit I only check them about every other week. Probably a bit less in winter when the pressure is really likely to drop. I don't do much braking though turns. I'm pretty much set diving in and accelerating out. If I do brake it would be a bit of rear trail braking going in and over, but with the linked system???

I'm pretty good at keeping my pressures at f40/r42, but will admit I only check them about every other week. Probably a bit less in winter when the pressure is really likely to drop. I don't do much braking though turns. I'm pretty much set diving in and accelerating out. If I do brake it would be a bit of rear trail braking going in and over, but with the linked system???
The front linked brake doesn't come on until a pressure threshold has been reached by the rear pedal. I don't know what that pressure is, but I wouldn't expect much front braking if you're trail-braking with the rear, unless you are being particularly aggressive.

Actually it's NOT very unusual on these big bikes.
And here is why- Think of how much weight is on that poor little contact patch when leaned over, on the brakes or not.
THE OTHER THINGS that contribute to this (that I've never heard mentioned here) are:
1- Old, neglected fork oil that has been SO worn out it really doesn't do any damping which results in the tire having take all the forces and road irregularities and
2- Old, and getting soft, fork springs which also contribute to the above issues.
We all change our oil, drive shaft fluid, brake fluid, clutch fluid, etc. ...but the fork oil and springs, IMHO, are by far the most neglected of all. Yes, those springs do wear out too folks!

It's still a great tire, with almost no chicken strips on the back. :p I'm sticking with them again and hope this front was a one-off issue, but I wonder if there could be other causes that I may be doing to prevent it from happening again.

View attachment 7629View attachment 7630
If there's no chicken strips on the back on the back then you're doing it wrong! <lol>

Ok, seriously, it's not at all unusual to see different wear comparing left side to right side, especially on a front tire. Typically in North America we will see greater wear on the right side compared to the left. That's because we drive on the right hand side of the road. Right hand curves and corners are tighter than left hand curves and corners, so at any given speed, the front tire is subjected to greater force turning right than left.

If you want even tire wear, dive deeper into the lefts, then turn sharper, simulating the lean angle a right hand turn would require.

One way to gauge it is to make sure the curb feelers engage evenly on each side. Which would also take care of your chicken strip problem. <lol>

I've had bad scalloping early in front tire life, and it was attributed to wheel bearings A free rolling front wheel and brakes system helps. I also believe proper working forks help. Tires don't seem to last as long as they used to. But.... when your front tire gets weird; so does the handling. Please let us know what the manufacturer's response is. When I mention tire expenses with Non-Bikers; they're shocked, and look at me like 😲 and think I'm "making it up", or exaggerating. If they only knew the joy they're missing...

Pete-o

P.S. IT'S HOT IATG! (In all the gear) And we ride anyway. What's that say about us? 😓

P.S. IT'S HOT IATG! (In all the gear) And we ride anyway. What's that say about us? 😓
ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) 'cuz I'd rather sweat than bleed (been there, done that)

My recollection on the Concours (from MANY years ago) was that scalloping front tire also pointed to possible headset bearings (stickiness??) but I don't know if that was ever 'confirmed' as causal

mcatrophy, thanks for the info on the linked brakes. I wasn't aware there was a pressure trigger for the linked system. I'm not aggressive with it in the turns, it's usually just controlling or slowing down a bit more as I'm entering the turn. I'm back on the gas through and out of the turn.

Coachpilot. My front forks could very well be an issue. 31000-miles on them, all original. I upgraded the rear shock back in 21, and I've been wanting to pull the forks out and send to Traxxion, but I just don't want to miss riding that long. lol Might just go ahead and do it this coming winter.

Torch, just a bit of a chicken strip, and it's far enough over for me. :p
rear tire side.jpg
I did retorque the headset, but didn't pull the bearings out to look at them. I can't feel any play in them up top. If I pull my forks this winter I'll take the top apart to clean, inspect and lube.

Here is Dunlop's response to my email. They did respond within 48-hours, I've just been away from the computer all week breaking in the new RSIV's I sent it with a pic of my front tire and a pic of the Concours front tire. I think they beleived I was looking for a warranty claim, which I wasn't. Was just curious as to the wear pattern.

Hi Oscar,
Thank you for contacting us regarding a concern with your Dunlop motorcycle tire. Treadwear is typically a result of operational conditions that are beyond our control as a manufacturer and for that reason is not recognized as a warrantable condition. However, without inspecting the tire in question we are unable to comment as to the condition or cause and suggest presenting the tire to the location from which it was purchased or to your local motorcycle dealer for inspection. To help us better understand the concern we ask that the inspecting dealer verify and share with us the following details:

Year / Model Bike -
Tire Size / Model –
DOT # (see example) –
Remaining Tread Depth –
Condition / Concern –
Mileage (if available) –
PSI-

Please ask the dealer personnel to contact our Consumer Affairs Department at 1-800-845-8378 to discuss their findings if necessary. Representatives are available weekdays 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. A copy of our Dunlop Motorcycle Tire Limited Warranty can be located on our website at: http://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/info-center/warranty-info/

Please stay in touch and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

THOMAS LEE
Consumer Affairs

Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
8656 Haven Ave
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
800-845-8378
716-279-3579

Last edited:
Wait! You got 13k miles out of a set of those tires? What magic is this?

I can sometimes get ~ 13k out of a front, but never from any rear. The tread on the sides are generally gonzo by 8-9k miles. Not from hooning it either. Just regular back roads.

mcatrophy, thanks for the info on the linked brakes. I wasn't aware there was a pressure trigger for the linked system. I'm not aggressive with it in the turns, it's usually just controlling or slowing down a bit more as I'm entering the turn. I'm back on the gas through and out of the turn.

Coachpilot. My front forks could very well be an issue. 31000-miles on them, all original. I upgraded the rear shock back in 21, and I've been wanting to pull the forks out and send to Traxxion, but I just don't want to miss riding that long. lol Might just go ahead and do it this coming winter.

Torch, just a bit of a chicken strip, and it's far enough over for me. :p
View attachment 7712
I did retorque the headset, but didn't pull the bearings out to look at them. I can't feel any play in them up top. If I pull my forks this winter I'll take the top apart to clean, inspect and lube.

Here is Dunlop's response to my email. They did respond within 48-hours, I've just been away from the computer all week breaking in the new RSIV's I sent it with a pic of my front tire and a pic of the Concours front tire. I think they beleived I was looking for a warranty claim, which I wasn't. Was just curious as to the wear pattern.

Hi Oscar,
Thank you for contacting us regarding a concern with your Dunlop motorcycle tire. Treadwear is typically a result of operational conditions that are beyond our control as a manufacturer and for that reason is not recognized as a warrantable condition. However, without inspecting the tire in question we are unable to comment as to the condition or cause and suggest presenting the tire to the location from which it was purchased or to your local motorcycle dealer for inspection. To help us better understand the concern we ask that the inspecting dealer verify and share with us the following details:

Year / Model Bike -
Tire Size / Model –
DOT # (see example) –
Remaining Tread Depth –
Condition / Concern –
Mileage (if available) –
PSI-

Please ask the dealer personnel to contact our Consumer Affairs Department at 1-800-845-8378 to discuss their findings if necessary. Representatives are available weekdays 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. A copy of our Dunlop Motorcycle Tire Limited Warranty can be located on our website at: http://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/info-center/warranty-info/

Please stay in touch and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

THOMAS LEE
Consumer Affairs

Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
8656 Haven Ave
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
800-845-8378
716-279-3579
You don't need a complete fork overhaul. Just a change to fresh fluid will do wonders. Removing, draining, flushing, filling and reinstalling them is 6 hours.

Wait! You got 13k miles out of a set of those tires? What magic is this?

I can sometimes get ~ 13k out of a front, but never from any rear. The tread on the sides are generally gonzo by 8-9k miles. Not from hooning it either. Just regular back roads.
12,826 to be exact. Mostly highway work commuting, with twisties taking an alternate route home or on the weekends. They would have likely been okay out to 13,5+ if I stayed out of the wet stuff. No cord showing, and I don't know how far down it is after the water grooves have disappeared. But I was headed out on a weeklong trip and didn't want to mess with trying to find new tires on the road.

Last edited:

Latest posts