Up and running!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fljab

Reaction score
I finally got to a spot where I have my bike back up and running; spent too much time with the wiring of the new lights and a few other mods butt the results seem worth it with a few exceptions.

First off, I got some flame throwers now! I had to wait until dark to get them aimed but all seems well. I'm leaving tomorrow for a quick trip to Michigan to see how it all LD's.

I got a little bit of maintenance done as well; it didn't need much and some things I couldn't complete as my tools couldn't do it. I did get the air filter changed - dang that's a PITA! Mine's worse because of the extra harness coming from my fuze block in the back.

I attempted to change spark plugs and got the #4 done. I used my old 5/8" plug socket. The foam is all dried up so it wouldn't hold the plug and I noticed it was kinda tight in the hole but I managed to get them changed without too much drama. When I went to #3 the socket didn't wanna go in the hole and I didn't want to force it, so left well enough alone until I have a better tool. A quick search yielded the knowledge that the bike's factory socket works well, so after I get back I'll dig that out and give it a try. Right now, I got 3 old and 1 new plug.

I attempted to change out to the Wynpro covers on top of the engine, but I don't have a good set of metric ball allen/socket wrench's. So, once again, I'm gonna defer that until I can get better tools for that particular task; I'd love to get all that "stuff" outta the way to work on the topend. I have good quality allens, but couldn't seem to get straight in the socket and they started to "booger up" so stopped!

I don't have the sync tools for the throttle; more tools needed! And, after Michigan I'll do the valves.

Engine and rear end oil isn't that old so that can wait until after this trip.

I also need to fix my new voltmeter - I thought it was working well, but it cuts off sometimes and I can't figure out why. I've taken a meter to it and it checks out, both on voltage/circuit, and continuity of the wires themselves. I suspect the issue is where I combined all the ground wires, so thinking about it I'll just run a new ground and see if that solves the problem. I'd just about take an ass whoopin' rather than go back into that harness I built but know that I will have to eventually, but I'll wait until next winter...

One more thing of note; Tony is coming up next weekend to help me drill my main tank for aux fuel. I don't have my aux tank mount fabricated yet and in that effort I brought in a retired KSC machinist I used to work with. He was here yesterday (Tuesday), took some measurements + we talked about it some. He came back today with another co worker that's a heck of a good all around machinist/fabricator that worked in both my shop and the machine shop and he came up with what I think is the way we're gonna go. Getting a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet the right size and getting it broke the way we want is next before we fabricate the mounts and such. As before, more later...

Take care, and if any of you Michigan folks are out near Napoleon, look for a farkled up black FJR!

I finally got to a spot where I have my bike back up and running;
Jim,

That there is good news! I am headed to Key West this weekend. I have not decided yet which bike.

I am leaning towards the Dakar, as the tires on the FJR are both smooth. Trying to save mounting a

new set so they will be fresh for the CFO then Great Lakes Rides. You take care in Michigan, I will be

waiting for you review of the lights. Do you have a tire changer? Since we'll be "Old hands" at aux. tank

installs, maybe we will have time to change out my tires- then again maybe I will ride the Dakar up so

I can wear those tires down and mount some duel sport tires... Let me know when you get back.

Are you thinking about your GBU ride? :clapping:

See you in about 10 days, Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a tire changer? <snip>
Yes, but have never used it for a FJR change, only my other bike. I also do not have a balancer setup - been meaning to get one but hasn't happened yet. But, sure, lets learn on your bike for the tires like we did on the tank drilling!!

My trip went good; did ~2500 miles total. I worked late into Wednesday getting it back together and still needed to sort out my riding get and LD setup, so slept ~4 hrs and didn't get gone until ~2 pm Thursday afternoon. Made it to Charlotte the first night - I was going to go further but there was an accident ahead of me (didn't see it but emergency vehicles were passing me and could see what looked like the road blocked off) and right then I came up on an exit with an Econolodge, so got a room for the night. Made it to Michigan/farm near Napoleon next day ~5pm.

The lights were great but of course I can't really use them in many situations, they just put out too much! But, the low beam FutureVision HID's were a great upgrade! I need to adjust some things like the cockpit light and my cruise control, but overall it was a good shakedown.

I got to Michigan to the farm, put the kickstand down, got off, and the stand dug in and heard this "kerplop" when the bike fell over. It tweaked the new dash shelf some and the left side light brackets. The left mirror/brackets then loosened up and rattled all the way back home so I need to get the covers off and see what's up.

It was a real good time and enjoyed the road trip. Hit some wet weather here and there and also the way back started after a fun night at the local Napoleon hot spot. Ran into alot of old friends and ended up getting a ride home from a member of the band when the bar closed down - so - I was kinda hurtin' the next morning when I left @ 0600. Didn't make it back in one shot like I wanted; got a room near Columbia, SC, then home today.

I did run some "long tanks" - longer than ever before. I usually stop @ ~220 miles, but this time was doing 240/250. Today I did a 270 mile run and put 6.3 gallons. Coming the last leg I knew that I needed to have the tank as empty as possible as need to pull it off this week so pushed to 285. I was slowed to 67 mph the last 30 miles then nursed it to my house no problem. The pad in front of my garage door is slanted; I had turned the bike off while I went inside to open the garage door and when I got back on it wouldn't stay running as the fuel was at the back of the tank away from the pump! I think I found the limit............

See ya soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did run some "long tanks" - longer than ever before. I usually stop @ ~220 miles, but this time was doing 240/250. Today I did a 270 mile run and put 6.3 gallons. Coming the last leg I knew that I needed to have the tank as empty as possible as need to pull it off this week so pushed to 285. I was slowed to 67 mph the last 30 miles then nursed it to my house no problem. The pad in front of my garage door is slanted; I had turned the bike off while I went inside to open the garage door and when I got back on it wouldn't stay running as the fuel was at the back of the tank away from the pump! I think I found the limit............

See ya soon!
Michigan sounded great - except for the weather. Did you read Father and Son 48+ ? LD section.

That's what I am Talking about! - I think my max has been 317. I added 6.66 Gals (Go figure?)

Saturday early am?

BTW- Did Key West on the Dakar 2 up this weekend. See you Saturday.