Upcoming visit to dealer for service...prior to long trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaSpyda

Reaction score
I'll be visiting the dealer this coming Thursday in preparation for my Sturgis trip. I'll be getting new tires, but I would appreciate your thoughts on other things - besides oil and rear gear oil change (which I can do myself) they should specifically check, so I don't get charged for something unnecessary.

Specifically, things that are not mentioned in the Owner's Manual under Periodic Maintenance.

I've already loosened the wires leading to the ignition switch, tuned the suspension, and added aux lighting in the front.

14,xxx miles on 06 AE

Thanks!!!

Don

I just got a major tune-up and was caught off guard when they asked me about Spark Plugs. I think that most plugs are so good these days that only minimal differences separate them. However, the iridium plugs may indeed be better. For a few dollars more, I should have told the shop to put them in. Oh well, Next time...... <_<

Make sure they re-torque the motor mounts and the steering head nut. Bring your owners manual and verify the maintenance schedule items. Thats what I would do.

Whatever you do, write down what you want done specifically....I mean 1,2,3.....sounds simple to you and me but I have had two different dealers screw up at 16k and 26k miles and do the WHOLE service even though I specified in a list what I wanted.

Went to pick up my bike last week and the dealer had done the entire 26k service even though I had specifically written down 26k valve check, change front tire and TBS. I'll give them this much...they wrote it off as goodwill.

14k on stock plugs will get a lot of different opinions. I think the manual calls for them to get replaced ~every 4k miles. IMO, I would change them out at 14k for Iridiums. I think I did mine at 11k and planned to swap them out when I hit 30k here shortly. I hear that the iridiums are good for 3-4x the service interval of the regular ones but what do I know, I just like to tinker on the bike.

I'll be visiting the dealer this coming Thursday in preparation for my Sturgis trip. I'll be getting new tires, but I would appreciate your thoughts on other things - besides oil and rear gear oil change (which I can do myself) they should specifically check, so I don't get charged for something unnecessary.
Specifically, things that are not mentioned in the Owner's Manual under Periodic Maintenance.

I've already loosened the wires leading to the ignition switch, tuned the suspension, and added aux lighting in the front.

14,xxx miles on 06 AE

Thanks!!!

Don

For the Rally? The sad part is if it is during the rally you will spend more time sitting and waiting then riding. Also way too many flat landers with no real bikeing experience.