Upgrading Fork Springs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I wanted to update my experience changing springs and pass on a couple of things I learned (or re-learned) for those interested or those who may be considering changing fork springs. 3dogs provided much needed and appreciated guidance/counsel during this whole effort.

I went with Race Tech fork springs that were not specifically listed for the FJR. They were the 403111 (final 11 being the 1.1kg spring rate). The 4031s were recommended as they are larger and fit the 48mm FJR tubes better than the 43mm springs listed for the FJR. Another reason is that the FJR specific springs only go up to a .95 spring rate - I’m 185 and the RT calculator says I need a 1.165 rate. The 4031s go up to a 1.2kg spring rate.

I went through 3 or 4 evolutions of this process before I got it right - mostly changing spacer lengths to little avail. A math error (double subtracting the fork cap measurement), skipping a step called for in the service manual when changing fork oil, and not fully realizing and understanding the spring diameter/spring seat difference and the impact of that caused me some unnecessary frustration and “do overs.”

The OEM spring is a progressive rate spring and is wide in the middle and narrower on the ends. The 4031 is a single rate spring consistent in length from end to end (same dia as OEM center part). Within the fork tube the bottom of the spring rests on the “spring seat” that’s on top of the cartridge in the fork. Here’s a picture looking into the empty tube – you can see the spring seat at the bottom and you’re looking at the damping rod in the center (a smaller rod fits into the center hence the hole in the rod).

IMG_01252.jpg

The spring seat is sized for the smaller end of the OEM seat. I initially had great frustration in that changes in spacer length did not result in similar changes in “sag” measurements. After several spacer changes didn’t produce satisfactory results, I started the entire process from the beginning – yup, took the whole shebang apart, drained the oil, remeasured the spacer measurement, cut the spacers (again!) and put it all back together.

During the redo I noticed that there isn’t a washer under the spring, only the spring seat and that is sized for the smaller OEM spring end. RT provides 2 x washers (same dia as the spring) and about 6 x aluminum spacers (didn’t use these at all) with the springs. I installed 1 x RT washer under the spring in each fork. I went to Lowe’s and bought 2 x schedule 8 washers of the same size and put them on top of the spring. Here’s a picture of how everything went back into the fork tube from the bottom up. RT washer/spring/RT size washer/OEM washer/spacer/nut/fork cap. You can actually see 2 x spacers. That’s because I cut the spacer a few times and wound up having to stack them together to get what I needed. As long as they’re cut square, I don’t think there’s a problem stacking them.

IMG_01272.jpg

I followed the service manual directions for fork oil (put in before installing the above) – pour it in, cycle the damping rod at least 10 times (didn’t do that the first time), compress/release the fork a couple of times, then wait 10 minutes for the oil to settle/let air out. I measured 130mm vice the OEM 100mm oil level from the top (forks extended) due to the increase in the spring size from OEM (take up more space - ~50mm longer).

I put it together, took a test ride and lo and behold it works! Hallafrigginlullah! I “think” what was happening before was that the spring was getting pushed over the spring seat and didn’t have any support on the bottom. The spring couldn’t function as designed and was over stiff. Not sure if adding the “cycle the damping rod at least 10 times” step during fork oil loading added to the solution or not, but I didn’t do that the first time.

Lessons I learned or re-learned. A. Read the directions. B. Read the Service Manual. C. Use the FJR Tech articles as a reference. D. Repeat A, B, C until you understand as much as humanly possible about the task before you. Take your time – whatever time it takes! And, there’s never enough time to do it right, but there’s always enough time to do it again!

Here’s something that might help you and did help me in troubleshooting. I noticed when the springs were way too stiff (little sag) that I could pop ole Maxine on the centerstand without any problem at all (front wheel way to high). When, after a couple of frustrating results, I whacked a good chunk off of the spacer I found it was extremely difficult to get her on the centerstand (front wheel way to low) – way too much sag.

I am not an expert in motorcycle suspensions and this is not an effort to sell myself as such. I offer this as a means for others to learn from my experience / mistakes. I am glad I did this even with the frustration involved. I’ve learned more about my forks, spring rates, sag, taking the whole mess apart than I ever would have otherwise and Maxine does handle better than before. If anyone is considering undertaking this I would be happy to talk with you if you like. PM me and I’ll send my phone number.

Thank you very much for the information. It was quite helpful to see the piccies. I have 15k on my 05 and need to service the forks. Are you still pleased with the RT forks?

You're most welcome. I know that when I read about stuff people do I like to see pictures and I wanted to give back to the forum. Here's the first post I wrote (before learning a couple of new things) with a couple of other pictures: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=11252

TO answer your question, yes I'm still happy with the springs. TO be honest, I'm still playing around with the damping settings to get the ride I like best. Overall a worthwhile exercise in learning more about the bike and getting a better ride.

Jim

The cycling of the damper rod is to fully eliminate any air in the system that might throw off the ultimate oil level, as well as prepare the damper for use immediately, rather than the forks having to compress/rebound a few times before damping begins to take effect.

Jim Fantastic info! Big Race-Tech fan here and have had questions regarding putting them in my 04 which I haven't done yet. Your detailed post answered my questions. Very much appreciate it. Nice job and Thanks!

It's been three years since I changed my springs and I figured it was time to change the fork oil - so I did. Here's a question; I'm not much on fluid mechanics, tell me, what is the effect of more or less fork oil - which makes the ride "harder," and which makes if "softer?" Which is easier to compress, oil or air?

Thanks!

Here's a question; I'm not much on fluid mechanics, tell me, what is the effect of more or less fork oil - which makes the ride "harder," and which makes if "softer?" Which is easier to compress, oil or air?
Oil does not compress at all. Adding oil results in less air space and a more progressive combined (spring and air) compression rate at the end of the stroke...which can prevent bottoming. Air compression can make up as much as 25 percent of the total compression at the end of the stroke depending on the amount of air and the length of the stroke...however the more air compression, the less consistent the rebound damping.

Its better to use the right spring rate to prevent bottoming than to depend on air compression.

Forks without vents to the atmosphere (all forks, nowadays) compress the trapped air when stroked. Air has been used in the past (still is somplaces) as a spring -- but, it's not really a very nicely controllable one (adjustable, yes). And..., air suspension use has fallen out of favor because it's just not as good a spring as a good spring.

So, the more air in the fork tube -- the more possibility of increased air pressure when compressed; and the more the effect of that (poor) air spring. The spring suspends and the oil damps -- air adds to the spring.

At least that's my take on it (but, I'm no expert).

I think I agree with 'MCRIDER007' -- especially:

Its better to use the right spring rate...

I think also, from my feeble deductioning skills, that while the amount of oil should stay the same, if you change the weight of oil it'll have an effect. The heavier the oil, the slower/more pressure needed to compress at the same speed. (I think).

So if my thinking is along the right lines, too heavy an oil might give a stiffer ride with less compression/rebound while putting it in there with NO oil, or too light an oil would result in bottoming out more often and much more travel for the same bumps.

Alexi

Here's a question; I'm not much on fluid mechanics, tell me, what is the effect of more or less fork oil - which makes the ride "harder," and which makes if "softer?" Which is easier to compress, oil or air?
Oil does not compress at all. Adding oil results in less air space and a more progressive combined (spring and air) compression rate at the end of the stroke...which can prevent bottoming. Air compression can make up as much as 25 percent of the total compression at the end of the stroke depending on the amount of air and the length of the stroke...however the more air compression, the less consistent the rebound damping.

Its better to use the right spring rate to prevent bottoming than to depend on air compression.

I think also, from my feeble deductioning skills, that while the amount of oil should stay the same, if you change the weight of oil it'll have an effect. The heavier the oil, the slower/more pressure needed to compress at the same speed. (I think).
So if my thinking is along the right lines, too heavy an oil might give a stiffer ride with less compression/rebound while putting it in there with NO oil, or too light an oil would result in bottoming out more often and much more travel for the same bumps.
Oil weight changes both the compression and rebound damping, heavy oil gives more damping which can result in a harsh ride at low (suspension) speeds and a total damping lockup at high (suspension) speeds. If a suspension system is in balance and you add heavier springs, then you need less compression damping and more rebound damping to keep it in balance. Sometimes you can add heavier springs and keep the system in balance with external adjustments but you usually need to the change the internal valving.

So, the LESS air in the fork tube -- the more possibility of increased air pressure when compressed; and the more the effect of that (poor) air spring. The spring suspends and the oil damps -- air adds to the spring..
I fixed it for you...the less the air volume the higher the potential air compression ratio.

I appreciate the replies. Let me talk my way through this.

Spring rate is probably the most important thing to get right. After Lee Park's Total Control class and suspension checks, I went to Race Tech and bought a set of springs. Per the tool they have to determine the right rate for you and your bike, mine came out as 1.167Kg - I bought the 1.1kg. All else in the fork works with or for the spring. The spacers set the correct pre-load on the spring (initial compression of the spring in the fork) to start your settings with. The mixture of fork oil and air will affect the compression rate (?) when the fork is compressing, and the damping when the fork is extending.

"The spring suspends and the oil damps -- air adds to the spring." From this I get that the oil dampens the effect of the spring so you're not going off like a pogo stick and the air increases (?) the spring effect?? I take from this that the more oil the greater the damping effect, the more air the greater the "spring" effect? The bottom line is to get all of this into harmony for a great ride! I'm just always interested in the "cause and effect" of changing parts of the equation. I found that after changing the oil - same amount and type (BelRay 5W) the fork felt harder. I've backed off on the pre-load, damping, and compression settings to see what that does. I do love experimenting with this stuff!

So, the LESS air in the fork tube -- the more possibility of increased air pressure when compressed; and the more the effect of that (poor) air spring. The spring suspends and the oil damps -- air adds to the spring..
I fixed it for you...the less the air volume the higher the potential air compression ratio.
Thanks, I struggled with that when I wrote it.

I went through a lot of air-suspension adjustments/issues when it was popular for motorcycles (in the '80s) and resolved that I'm not much of a fan..... :(

It is helpful, though, for those who ride 2-up or carry heavy loads.

I appreciate the replies. Let me talk my way through this."The spring suspends and the oil damps -- air adds to the spring." From this I get that the oil dampens the effect of the spring so you're not going off like a pogo stick and the air increases (?) the spring effect?? I take from this that the more oil the greater the damping effect, the more air the greater the "spring" effect?
I think it's more like this: the oil's viscosity works with the orfices (adjustable) to control the damping (anti-pogo); the amount of oil will only affect the damping if there's not enough and the damping starts to fade from heat lowering the viscosity. And -- from 'MCRIDER007': the less air volume -- the more the 'air spring' effect.

The bottom line is to get all of this into harmony for a great ride! I'm just always interested in the "cause and effect" of changing parts of the equation. I found that after changing the oil - same amount and type (BelRay 5W) the fork felt harder. I've backed off on the pre-load, damping, and compression settings to see what that does. I do love experimenting with this stuff!
"...harmony for a great ride!" Right..., and (as much as I hesitate to suggest it....) you may even want to try other springs.

Fork oil can be a great mystery -- try to find-out the accurate viscosity specs in SSUs of Centi-Stokes (not just 5, 7, 10, etc.).

Keep written records.....

I appreciate the replies. Let me talk my way through this.The mixture of fork oil and air will affect the compression rate (?) when the fork is compressing, and the damping when the fork is extending.

"The spring suspends and the oil damps -- air adds to the spring." From this I get that the oil dampens the effect of the spring so you're not going off like a pogo stick and the air increases (?) the spring effect?? I take from this that the more oil the greater the damping effect, the more air the greater the "spring" effect? The bottom line is to get all of this into harmony for a great ride! I'm just always interested in the "cause and effect" of changing parts of the equation. I found that after changing the oil - same amount and type (BelRay 5W) the fork felt harder. I've backed off on the pre-load, damping, and compression settings to see what that does. I do love experimenting with this stuff!
Lets see if I can further confuse the issue. The weight of the oil effects both the compression and rebound damping. The volume of the oil does not effect damping unless there is so little of it that none is flowing through the valves. This is very unlikely with compression damping since the valve is at the bottom of the fork but too little oil could effect rebound damping if the oil level is below the top of the cartridge. Way too much oil could result in hydraulic lock at mid stroke which will feel like bottoming.

Compression damping complements (adds to) the spring at the beginning of the stroke (about the first inch) so the spring does not over react to small bumps, the oil level (which determines air space) complements the spring at the very end of the stroke to prevent bottoming.

Damping forces increase in proportion to the square of the speed so when the suspension doubles in speed, it creates 4 times the damping force...which will result in hydraulic lockup and a harsh ride unless the valves are able to quickly flow much more oil...and that is why we have both low and high compression circuits and valves with flexible shims that increase the flow rate with increased force.

I need someone knowledgeable out there to verify my "new" math. I recently changed my fork oil and mistakenly measured the oil with the forks extended - should do it with them compressed. So, I think I got that right. But I started to redo my entire calculation from my initial install and I'm pretty sure I hosed that up too! Yup, I've been riding for 3 years with what I now think is significantly wrong preload.

Here are the facts and my "new" math:

Race Tech (RT) 1.1kg springs = 310 mm

OEM .80 springs = 267mm (actually for info only)

WITH FORKS EXTENDED:

From top of spring w/2 washers to top of fork tube = 130mm

Top Cap = 40mm

Damper rod nut (proud of bottom of fork cap) = 5mm

Subtract the fork cap that extends into the tube and the nut (the spacers rest on the nut) from 130 to get the space left between the spring (w/washers) and the nut ---- 130 - 40 - 5 = 85mm space between top of spring to contact with nut

So, without any preload at all, the spacers need to be cut to 85mm. I'm considering 15mm of preload, so 85 - 15 = 70.

I need to cut my spacers to 70mm to achieve 15mm of preload on my RT Spring.

Right??????

For whatever reason, my spacers are now 90mm so if I'm correct, I have 35mm of preload -- way too much!

So, someone take pity on me and, hopefully, verify my figures.

On the oil, stock recommends 100mm from top with forks compressed; since the RT springs are larger and take up more space, I went 130mm from the top. Feel free to comment on that too.

Thanks.

Jim

EDIT - now you see my math challenge -- I need to ADD the preload and not subtract. So it should be 85 + 15 + 100mm for 15mm of preload. That said, I now have 5mm of preload vice the 35 I thought I had.

Last edited by a moderator: