USB power supply for farkles?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryM

Reaction score
I am looking to add power outlets to my FJR and got to thinking. Since most of what I would be powering (Phone charger, GPS) have USB cables and USB cables are far more compact along with thinking a USB cable is less likely to work itself loose then why not?

Has anyone tried it? Any thoughts on if/how well it would work? I am sure weather proofing it would be feasible, that has been the only downside I have been able to come up with. Oh, amperage would be limited but seriously, how many watts do you need for most items.

I would agree the majority of my Powerlet outlet on the access panel above the battery spends 90% of it's duties providing power to USB level power in my tank bag (phone, GPS). But the fact it is also capable of being a direct input back to the battery for tender/charging, and is also sturdy enough to run my mini air compressor, which will cook the fuse in the lighter style outlet in the glove box of a Gen II in a fraction of a second (Don't ask how I know this). It can also be used for heated gear, etc..

That's not to say you couldn't add both outlets, but after installing the Powerlet weather proof outlet, I've never been concerned about also adding a USB port. Then again if I was getting the saddle time I would like to touring, I'm sure multiple would be advantageous.