use 3rd Yamaha lock on Givi Trunk ? - BLACK KEY VERSION

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
I just installed a Givi V47 trunk. It comes with a black key that is totally unlike the Yamaha key (it has a channel rather than ridges on the key),

I read a few posts from 2008/2009 about getting the Givi lock cylinder re-keyed to accept the yamaha key, because (unless you do some machining on the Givi lock barrel) the yamaha lock doesn't fit.

Anyone know if this is true of the "black key" Givi locks ? Can they be swapped out for the 3rd Yamaha lock barrel ?

I don’t know about the lock swap. I just bought the V47 as well but I also bought the Givi remote control kit so once I have that wired up I won’t be using any key in the case (except, I guess, when it’s off the bike; didn’t think of that until just now!). However that wiring job is turning out to be more involved than I had expected, mainly because the Givi distributor in Canada (and my dealer) screwed up and sold me an aluminum mounting plate that doesn’t accept the electrical contact (long story…).

It would be nice to have all locks the same. Let us know what you find out.

I'm interested in this too. In the mean time, I take the lazy way out, I lock my yamaha key in the Givi box so I only have to carry one key.

Yes, the givi cylinder can be rekeyed or replaced to accept your ignition key.

My local locksmith took care of it.

I went first to have him confirm all the bits and pieces.

I think it was $30 parts and $50 labor.

Well worth it.

The Givi lock needs to be re-keyed. Not difficult at all. The Givi lock cylinders are much shorter than the Yammies so the Yammies don't fit.