using a CPAP when your camping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the topic.

I too run the CPAP to "keep momma happy" as da wife can't sleep with me "singing" in her ear. Mostly it was the frustration she had knowing there was something I could do about it but not doing it.

I may look into the battery powered Everest unit mentioned here. It would easily recharge off the bike and power me all night. Cool beans! I wonder if it could double as a supercharger on the feej?......

looking forward to what y'all find out.

mr.paul

The idea is though that you're then free to choose any CPAP that does the job not be locked into a specific, likely more expensive unit.
Your comments about the diode are appreciated.

The main point is, as someone else has pointed out, that using an aux battery and an inverter to power an AC-powered CPAP unit is almost 100% guaranteed to take significantly more power than using a unit that is designed to run off batteries in the first place. Most 12V-120V inverters are not all that efficient, and there is further loss in the internal power supply of the CPAP machine which converts 120V AC into DC to run the system. Far better to start with a DC supply in the first place.

Not that the Everest machine is totally optimized for 12V operation- notice that the 12V adapter is a switching power supply which outputs 19V DC for running the unit and/or recharging the battery pack, which incurs a slight efficiency penalty. I suspect the choice of 19V rather than 12V was made to optimize the battery pack for energy density (w-hr/kg) and for pure energy efficiency of the system when operated off a cigarette lighter, 12V would have been better.

Not sure if y'all are aware of this, but there is an alternative to CPAP usage for some people: https://sleepwellflorida.com
Daaaamn, that's a ghey website. The '90s called, and they want their amateur flash animations back.

I found the PureSleep.com devices work well for me, and a lot cheaper than going to someone like that. (I've never been able to sleep during a sleep study, so officially, I don't have sleep apnea, but I do know I wake up a lot during the night snorting and choking, and I actually feel rested after a night with the mouthpiece in.)

I bought a DC sine wave converter and have to either get a battery to power my CPAP or run it off the FJR battery. Don't want a good nights sleep and be stranded because I ran the battery down. What do other CPAP users do?
It's easy: Just find a nice shady spot away from the camp site, don't forget your toilet paper(the handle of an army tri-fold shovel makes a nice place to stick the roll). Dig a little hole and....

Ohhhhhhhhhh. I though you said CRAP....

Not sure if y'all are aware of this, but there is an alternative to CPAP usage for some people: https://sleepwellflorida.com
Daaaamn, that's a ghey website. The '90s called, and they want their amateur flash animations back.
Thanks for the compliment. It was a template.

My client is happy, and I earned $1,800 doing that for him.

So there... :p
You're welcome! Shoot, I'd have that much money myself if I had a dime for every time a Flash-based website died on me.