V-STORM HANDGUARDS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't swap over the V-Strom guards from the Gen 2 to the Gen 3.

Clearance problems with the 2 dash protrusions.
I believe the current V-Strom 1000 handguards are different, but I have Helibars on mine; perhaps the reason they do not hit the protrusions.

Correct. I also have the regular type of 1" bar risers on my 3rd gen and the Strom hand-guards fit fine with those too.

I don't understand the hand guard thing. I always thought they were for dirt bikes. I don't plan on riding my FJR through the bushes. If I ever do, my hands won't be my biggest worry.
As others have said, you don't get it because you've never tried them. They keep your hands warmer when it's cold, and they eliminate the need for special wet weather over gloves except in a deluge, and even then they keep the water from running up your sleeves and eventually soaking through your "waterproof" gloves.

Well, you might start by spelling it correctly. V-Strom...not a storm. Also, the concensus is it's farkles with the e and l flipped. And since I'm doing it all....very few people call it gen111. It's usually Gen 3 and sometimes Gen III with roman numeral I's.
Come on Iggy, cut the guy a break, this does come across a little "Prick Like"
I though that Matt was correcting him on the Vstrom spelling so his "web searching" might be more fruitful.

After reading these posts, I still don't get it...does the VStrom handguards fit Gen 3?

DAve
Yes. I have them on my 2013. They require some minor enlargement of the hole that clips over the end of the handle bar and the fabrication of a small aluminium extension on the throttle side.
I did not need any such aluminum extensions. Not sure what you are talking about there.

I did not need any such aluminum extensions. Not sure what you are talking about there.
I sure did. There was a design change made to the V Strom 1000 handguards at some point in the past few years and the 650 and 1000 guards are/were different as well. Perhaps we have different versions.

Post #56 of this thread shows the way: https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-fjr-central/28986-hand-guards-4.html#post306754

And here is a picture of the aluminium extension.

ShieldnutRHside_zps749797d5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your picture is way too small to see, and the other site you linked me to won't display the pictures to me because I am not a member.

The guards I have are very old, so may be an earlier generation of the DL1000 version. You do replace the stock FJR lever pivot bolts with some special ones for the hand guards. But I think those are part of the package even when installing on a Vstrom.

I did not need to replace any bolts. I think we are talking apples and socket wrenches.

Your picture is way too small to see, and the other site you linked me to won't display the pictures to me because I am not a member.
The guards I have are very old, so may be an earlier generation of the DL1000 version. You do replace the stock FJR lever pivot bolts with some special ones for the hand guards. But I think those are part of the package even when installing on a Vstrom.
Fred...the kit that I got, did have replacement standoffs to replace the pivot bolts. But I ended up with a set of the stainless steel ones that (gearman) was making.

I called Desert Valley Motorsports about the install hardware because I already have the handguards. They want 50 bucks for the kit only (guards with hardware about 100 bucks). Could a guy with half a brain and a dremel make this work with a trip to the hardware store? Is the pivot bolt I need to replace special in some way? I do realize there are different setups involved (Gen II vs Gen III and early model guards vs later model guards).

The pivot bolts are special. They are what spaces the hand guards up off the perch. There is probably a consolidated list of the hardware parts around here somewhere, and maybe from that list you could order just get the two spacer/shoulder bolts and come up with the rest of the more generic hardware from the store.

The same mounting hardware that I had on my 1st gen worked on my new third gen FJR, so I don't think it is an intergenerational FJR issue

The generation of Vstrom handguards may be a factor.

Warchild has done the work, so we don't have to.
Parts List is here:

https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=30
Just realize up front that was written 9 years ago and may not be turnkey perfect. The V-Strom part options (and possibly numbers) have evolved over the years and aren't always perfectly tidy. I've done the treatment twice and my parts bag was different each time in some part. In my opinion, the expense of somebody like DVP gathering up the parts for you from their more current list are worth it.

Prices below are from Partzilla.com known to be among the cheapest parts sources around

Qty Suzuki P/N Nomenclature Price ea
2 02142-06107 Screw (superseded by 02142-06108) $1.41
4 09160-06130 Washer $1.23
2 08319-21068 Nut (superseded by 08319-2106A) $1.23
2 57431-06G00 Bolt, Lever $15.70
2 08316-10063 Nut (superseded by 08316-1006B) $1.62

Total $44.84 (plus shipping)

The critical parts in the hardware list would be the two lever pivot bolts. $31.40 for the pair

May as well go with the locals on this one

Thanks for the info. I see that bolt is not something I'm going to find at my local hardware store. Looks like I'm going to be calling DVM.

Anyone have more pics of these installed, from a few feet away so we can see them? I've already emailed DVP. I miss having warm hands.

Sure... Here they are with FZ1 mirrors and the Yamaha Touring windshield installed

100_4777.jpg

From the side

100_4779.jpg

Closer up, from behind (before mirrors were switched)

100_4663.jpg

Note: In addition to needing bar risers so the hand guards do not smack the dash, you will also need some sort of mirror extenders or use FZ1 mirrors or all you will see in the mirrors is the hand guards.