Vaccum Cap Keepers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krouske

Reaction score
Well I was going to do the first throttle body sync. Supported the tank, removed the heat shield and found the throttle body vacuum ports. Used long nose pliers to pull the keepers off the caps and one of the keepers disappeared into thin air.

Yamaha dealer did not have one. Micro fish did not show the keeper. Auto parts store does not have them so I stuck the plug on the port and called it good.

Do any of you know where I can get this minor part? If the engine has good vacuum I am not sure how this plug would come off anyway? Well, if this happened to you what did you do?

KR

Well I was going to do the first throttle body sync. Supported the tank, removed the heat shield and found the throttle body vacuum ports. Used long nose pliers to pull the keepers off the caps and one of the keepers disappeared into thin air.Yamaha dealer did not have one. Micro fish did not show the keeper. Auto parts store does not have them so I stuck the plug on the port and called it good.

Do any of you know where I can get this minor part? If the engine has good vacuum I am not sure how this plug would come off anyway? Well, if this happened to you what did you do?

KR
I'm assuming you're talking about the wire springs around the caps?

They aren't needed - the vacuum will hold the caps on. DAMHIK

Maybe a small wire tie, or some small gauge solid wire twisted around it would make it feel more secure, although I doubt they'd fall off without the metal ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if the bike backfires?
On a modern EFI bike? Come on man. Many of my bikes didn't have those clips on the port plugs. Besides, if you notice, the vacuum hoses for idle control and MAP sensor on our FJRs don't have them either. And in case you haven't tried, just because there're no clips it's not easy at all to remove those suckers. Even a backfire from the old carb days (and tuned like $hit) would blow the intake out of the TBs before one of those plugs. But hey, it's up to each owner. Many don't like altering their bikes one iota from the factory, and there's nothing wrong with that. Hope all had a great weekend.

JC

Did my TBS a few weeks ago, and lost one of the clips. They are not really needed but if you are a freak about the bike (and I am) I ordered a replacement set. Here is the diagram of the intake section of the engine. The part is #26 on the diagram. They are only a $1.55.

Intake2.jpg

Truly, they are not needed whatsoever.

But if it's going to keep you up at night (or you are a self-professed "freak about the bike", like SESFJR), then order away.

I haven't had these spring clips for the TBS caps on my '03 for the past 45,000 miles; hasn't appeared to have been a problem yet...

And if you do decide to replace the keeper, keep in mine for future removals, that you don't need to remove the keepers from the caps to remove the caps from the nipple; they will slide off, and back on, without requiring the springs to be removed. (a dab of silicone grease makes removal and re-installation even more better) :)

You mean you didn't order extra vacuum caps and rings when you bought the extra body bolts, etc., on your first parts order? I thought EVERYONE bought these necessary items with a new bike purchase......

#1) Get an extendable magnet, like
ullman001%20041.jpg

use it to fish around below the tb's, you'll find the clip, which leads us to

#2) the reason to retain the wire clip on the cap, is so if a cap is lost, see #1

Yep, Radman is correct! I used his magnet to rescue 2 caps @ WFO-5 in Reno. Uhm...we won't mention the amount of time spent to "find" said lost vacuum caps.... :unsure: nor will we mention who dropped them into the engine bay.... :rolleyes: (Hint: It wasn't me!)

I thread a piece of telephone wire through the eye of the spring retainer. Have not lost a cap or retainer in many, many TBS.

Longrider

Ok I cant see where the caps would go anyway.

SESFJR has the right idea if I need the little suckers.

If this is the only problem I have Ill be doing OK.

Thanks for the help.

KR

If I ever loose one of those suckers, and spend more than 90sec. looking for it, a short piece of plugged tubing will get jammed onto that vacuum nipple without a second thought.

Zorlac, I hope you won't be too puzzled by the lack of response to your for sale ad here if you ever decide to put her on the block... <_<

I'm a firm believer in having spare vacuum caps and spring clips. If you buy them you will never need them.

Hemostats are my TBS weapon of choice. A little dab of silicone grease on the caps before replacing them, goes a long way toward subsequent TBS removal bliss.

A new clip can be bent out of low gague MIG welding wire. It's got just about the same springiness as the stock wire clips and can be formed with pliers and patience. Solder (electrical or plumbing) is generally too soft.

This is of course entirely hypothetical. I didn't lose one of mine. Really! Why won't you believe me? See! It looks just like the real one. I mean, if I'd been clumsy enough to lose the real one ........