Valve Adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll agree with Tom that you don't HAVE TO change the CCT, but while you've got the thing apart (right fairing off, timing cover off, etc.) you should consider doing it while it's open.

I agree, we have changed several CCT at various tech days. We have pulled several out that were Gen II with 25K to 40K that were noticably weaker than a new CCT. Yes they were fine, just sayin' there definietly was a difference in the tension the used CCT provided. Consider it preventitive maintenance.
Agree with both posts above...

IMHO, NOT replacing the CCT at your mileage "because the valves don't need adjusting" is false economy, especially on a Gen I.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll agree with Tom that you don't HAVE TO change the CCT, but while you've got the thing apart (right fairing off, timing cover off, etc.) you should consider doing it while it's open.

I agree, we have changed several CCT at various tech days. We have pulled several out that were Gen II with 25K to 40K that were noticably weaker than a new CCT. Yes they were fine, just sayin' there definietly was a difference in the tension the used CCT provided. Consider it preventitive maintenance.

IMHO, NOT replacing the CCT at your mileage "because the valves don't need adjusting" is false economy, especially on a Gen I.
[Channeling SkooterG] I have ridden 5 gazillion miles and never had a problem with the original CCT [ /Channeling SkooterG] :p

[Channeling SkooterG] I have ridden 5 gazillion miles and never had a problem with the original CCT [ /Channeling SkooterG] :p
Lucky You! I rode 46,000 miles and a defective CCT took my motor OUT!

And, ALL Yamaha CCTs, Gen I and Gen II, new or old versions, ARE defective. Any cam chain tensioner that does not incorporate a ZERO return feature is defective.

Last edited by a moderator:

good luck with that

hay Howie, when and where's the "atomic engine" rally this year ?????????? :)

there's some make an effort to recruit themselves it seems :eek: