Valve Adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popee

Reaction score
This is my first atempt at adjusting valves. All are in the middle of specs,except 1,2,and 4 intake. Using standard feeler gauge those valves are .006 go .007 no go. My question is being at the lower end of specs. do I need to change them or wait until next check. Bike is 2007 with 52000 mile.

This is my first atempt at adjusting valves. All are in the middle of specs,except 1,2,and 4 intake. Using standard feeler gauge those valves are .006 go .007 no go. My question is being at the lower end of specs. do I need to change them or wait until next check. Bike is 2007 with 52000 mile.
If you your clearances are within spec then you do not have to change them and a .006 on an intake is within spec. They do not need to be in the middle.

I agree. .006" is still in spec. If you can't fit a .006 in any more it is time to shim.

I ran my bike for ~50k miles with two valves a tight .006.

My number one intake is at .006 and I will check it every 8 to 10k miles and watch it. I am also going to get metric feeler gauges - I think it was FredW who posted they allow finer measurement. When I checked mine I was wishing a .0055 gauge.

Yes.

.15 mm = .00591" So you can see that if you can still get a .006" feeler in there you are definitely good to go.

but

.16mm = .00630"

.17mm = .00669"

.18mm = .00709"

Inch based feelers general come in .001" increments. Round numbers, the difference between the two .006" and .007" feelers are covered by 4 sizes of metric feelers (.15mm - .18mm), for roughly twice the resolution.

I agree. .006" is still in spec. If you can't fit a .006 in any more it is time to shim. I ran my bike for ~50k miles with two valves a tight .006.
Fred

You are right (of course). I was thinking .007 minimum but that's for exhaust, not intake.
not_i.gif

When I did my last check, I had three valves right on the minimum as checked with a set of metric feelers. Past due for another check and suspect I'll be changing (or sanding) at least a couple.

Don't bother with buying shims at the Yam dealer. Just sand the ones you have (you have to have a micrometer to measure how much you are taking off). I use 240 grit wet/dry paper with some light oil on it. After you get the shim where it needs to be use some 400 grit to polish the shim. I've sanded some sims at 52k and everything was good at 74k--bike now has 92k--sanded shims have not destroyed motor yet.