valve noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80slider

Reaction score
Hi:

I'm new here and in need of some expertise from you motor heads out there. I have an '86 FJ 1200 with 34000miles on her. I'm noticing some valve train noise after it gets hot. I've checked the lash and it's right on. I've also checked the cam for movement and it's with in limits. The guy I bought it off of has Ames oil in it and I'll be changing it here in a few days, I'm not sure what weight he's running. The thing that gets me is it didn't progressively get worse it just showed up in traffic one day?!? Any ideas???

thanks

Chris

@80slider: Valve noise is common in the old FJ series. My FJ100 '84 has the same problem. If you search the internet for common problems with the FJ's, ticking valves is one of them.

@80slider: Valve noise is common in the old FJ series. My FJ100 '84 has the same problem. If you search the internet for common problems with the FJ's, ticking valves is one of them.
Then is this one of those things You live with like the ticking in the newer FJR?

No,

you get the ticking fixed, you don't live with it.

As far as FJs go, you might want to try their forum on Yahoo.

Great bunch of riders over there that can help you out.

Bought my '89 FJ new and the valves ticked slightly from the beginning. At the 16K valve adjustment I changed 11 shims and thereafter never had to change a shim for the next 80K. Slightly noisy valves are safe valves-especially on an air cooled engine..