Vance & Hines CS One Mufflers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTParks

Reaction score
Just installed a set of Vance & Hines CS One mufflers on my '11 FJR, as part of my ding and scrape repairs resulting from my little driveway shunt a couple weeks ago.

Installation: Not too bad. The pipe and muffler assembly is one piece and much lighter than the stock unit that came off the bike. The instructions were clear enough and the entire installation took maybe 30 minutes. The hardest part was keeping the rubber insulator aligned inside the triangular muffler clamp as I tightened everything down. No leaks to worry about. Alignment of the mufflers was a no-brainer since you have to have the muffler at just the right angle to align with the upper clamp mount. Had to use my knee to apply enough upward pressure to get the bolts through the upper muffler support while holding the aluminum spacers in place. Parts included the triangular clamps, the rubber insulators, aluminum spacers for the upper muffler mounts, the necessary clamps and nuts and bolts.

Appearance: I'm here to tell you V&H designed these mufflers with a picture of an FJR taped to the wall. The unique shape of the cans and angled ends compliment the bike much better than a set of regular round mufflers could ever do. The angled outlet is similar to the shape of the rear taillight, and the smaller size (compared to stock) makes the mufflers blend better with the overall profile of the bike. IMHO, they really set the bike apart from the rest of the pack.

Sound: At startup the sound is a couple of decibles louder than stock, but not enough to drown out the whine of the engine. You can stand behind the bike and feel the exhaust pulses from about 5-8 feet away; don't remember having that with the stock mufflers. At low speeds there is a definite growl back there. Above 3500-4000 rpm the growl picks up quite a bit, but it is still not something that would attract unwanted attention. During deceleration, there is a nice burble to the sound. No backfiring, at least on my bike. The idle was a little lopey when I first stated it up after installation, but smoothed out a little more after the bike was warmed up. The bike ran fine from the get-go. I imagine there is a little less backpressure that the electronics may have to adjust for, but there were no driveability problems. Today's drive was in open country. In a downtown setting they will obviously be a little more noticeable. The butt--dyno didn't note any appreciable power gains, although running up through the gears sure sounds like it means business.

The best price I could find was on Ebay, which included free ground shipping.

I am thinking about going with these same pipes on my '11 and would love to see pictures and some sound clips! Did you go with the stainless or black?

I am torn, because I could see how either one would look great with the liquid silver, the stainless would be a good complement and more "stock" looking, but the black would obviously go well with the silver

how much did you pay on ebay? do you have a link to the ebay store you purchased from?

VanceHinesCans.gif

In addition to some sound clips, I would really like to see pics of the stainless and black on a later model bike (liquid silver). I think one or the other would "call" out to me, but I can't visualize it just by looking at the slip on itself. Anyone?

I put a set of these on my 2010. I'm really impressed with them.

There are three movies of the bike running in this album. Be advised that sound clips are very audio equipment dependent.

https://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/BlackStar_1961/2010%20FJR/
BLACKSTAR, did you have any debate as to whether to go with stainless or the black? As stated before, I think they look good either way, just not sure how the black ones would look on our liquid silver bikes. The SS that you chose look good, and they "blend" well with the bike, almost like taking the stock mufflers and actually making them "fit" the lines of the bike. I am hoping someone with black mufflers on a silver bike can post a picture to see how the contrast makes the bike look.

Just installed a set of Vance & Hines CS One mufflers on my '11 FJR, as part of my ding and scrape repairs resulting from my little driveway shunt a couple weeks ago.

Installation: Not too bad. The pipe and muffler assembly is one piece and much lighter than the stock unit that came off the bike. The instructions were clear enough and the entire installation took maybe 30 minutes. The hardest part was keeping the rubber insulator aligned inside the triangular muffler clamp as I tightened everything down. No leaks to worry about. Alignment of the mufflers was a no-brainer since you have to have the muffler at just the right angle to align with the upper clamp mount. Had to use my knee to apply enough upward pressure to get the bolts through the upper muffler support while holding the aluminum spacers in place. Parts included the triangular clamps, the rubber insulators, aluminum spacers for the upper muffler mounts, the necessary clamps and nuts and bolts.

Appearance: I'm here to tell you V&H designed these mufflers with a picture of an FJR taped to the wall. The unique shape of the cans and angled ends compliment the bike much better than a set of regular round mufflers could ever do. The angled outlet is similar to the shape of the rear taillight, and the smaller size (compared to stock) makes the mufflers blend better with the overall profile of the bike. IMHO, they really set the bike apart from the rest of the pack.

Sound: At startup the sound is a couple of decibles louder than stock, but not enough to drown out the whine of the engine. You can stand behind the bike and feel the exhaust pulses from about 5-8 feet away; don't remember having that with the stock mufflers. At low speeds there is a definite growl back there. Above 3500-4000 rpm the growl picks up quite a bit, but it is still not something that would attract unwanted attention. During deceleration, there is a nice burble to the sound. No backfiring, at least on my bike. The idle was a little lopey when I first stated it up after installation, but smoothed out a little more after the bike was warmed up. The bike ran fine from the get-go. I imagine there is a little less backpressure that the electronics may have to adjust for, but there were no driveability problems. Today's drive was in open country. In a downtown setting they will obviously be a little more noticeable. The butt--dyno didn't note any appreciable power gains, although running up through the gears sure sounds like it means business.

The best price I could find was on Ebay, which included free ground shipping.
If you don't mind me asking what was the ebay price?

I put a set of these on my 2010. I'm really impressed with them.

There are three movies of the bike running in this album. Be advised that sound clips are very audio equipment dependent.

https://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk266/BlackStar_1961/2010%20FJR/
BLACKSTAR, did you have any debate as to whether to go with stainless or the black? As stated before, I think they look good either way, just not sure how the black ones would look on our liquid silver bikes. The SS that you chose look good, and they "blend" well with the bike, almost like taking the stock mufflers and actually making them "fit" the lines of the bike. I am hoping someone with black mufflers on a silver bike can post a picture to see how the contrast makes the bike look.
I had two concerns with the black

1.) The long term durability of the black coating. Especially in the event I have to drill out the rivets and re-pack the mufflers, even though I have never had to do that yet on a street bike. Chips and scrapes would reveal the silver base metal and be very obvious.

2.) Keeping them clean. My warrior is an all black midnight version. It's hard to keep all that black looking clean. Black exhaust after a ride in the rain is white, its not that noticeable with the stainless.

Don't get me wrong, I like black. I just didn't want to drop that kind of money, then regret it a few years down the road. I thought the stainless would look better for the long term and be easier to take care of. I was also curious if the black would get lost in the shadows under the bags?

I thought somebody on here had the black ones, I don't remember what color the bike was. Perhaps he'll chime in?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put a set of these on my bike. They have the perfect sound for the FJR. They are one of the coolest looking slip-ons I have seen. I really wanted the black ones but got a great deal on the SS ones so I couldn't pass it up

VanceHinesCSones002.jpg

VanceHinesCSones003.jpg

I have some of the same concerns about durability of the black, and how they will look when dirty. The SS looks great, and I THINK it would be OK with my silver bike, but i wonder if it would be "too much" silver, know what I mean? In other words, I would love to see a silver bike with black pipes and see if the contrast compliments the bike, or if it's "too much" contrast

So here are some pics from this evening once I got around to putting these bad boys on. MAN THESE ARE SEXY! They sound amazing as well. Will post some daylight pics soon-sorry for poor quality phone pics-too lazy to dig out the camera tonight.

VH1.JPG

VH2.JPG

VH3.JPG

Boy, that DOES look great! I can't wait to see more pictures...but from what I can see so far....I like!!!!

What kind of trunk is that on your bike? I almost got a smuggler from Corbin, but couldnt justify spending their asking price!